2014 rifle season pics, keep the pics from your stand and trail cam pics coming too!

So I got curious of how fast the two gut piles would last and who would come to diner, so I put up a game camera to find out.
c65145c91868a96bf6f5801cd1f96237.jpg

7c798f205bf16cf4519bc447e6a38b67.jpg

cdeef598f7316a7f07041dbc49836ef0.jpg

26a1f264e7c9cbf15453fc26d6d18208.jpg

16c33a889d961dbaa9d32d9d496c253a.jpg

3cfc1cb7765246944ca3a9457dc26b74.jpg

9825738a12f694b4641cb627791558f0.jpg

01b4a4020bc23af64e70b838862c1350.jpg

Looks like the only one missing is the bobcat, must of been busy.

Cool pictures! That hawk is a beautiful bird!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good luck!!
I'm stuck at home having to work this morning. Have a cutover scheduled today and the other person only wanted to help in the morning so he could watch college football.....
So I took the hit and said morning would be fine, this project has been delayed for months and I want it over.
I'm hunting right now. Hunting over a 30 acre soybean field surrounded by hardwoods. They haven't been hitting the beans too hard lately so it will be interesting to see how my hunt shapes out. But so far I saw one big doe running, then a young 6pt chasing her. I let both keep running.
Red, we are managin our property to QDMA Standards. Essentially that means year round nutrition, balancing the buck:doe ratio, reducing herd density to match carrying capacity of land (do this by shooting does, not bucks), and protecting bucks 3.5 years old or younger. Scroll back a page or two to see the buck I killed a few weeks ago. He was 5.5 years old.

I'm in the stand as well. No deer but crows are going off about 100 yds from here! Something has them gassed up.

Since Tuesday I've been down in Florida with my Grandmother so my TN Hunting is on hold for now. Rifle season opened here on Saturday morning and I've thought about going out but every time I think I might slip away for some fresh air we have a nursing change or I feel the need to be in the room with Nannie or have to go to town for meds or food. I did however buy 3 feeders so I'm going to try to put them and some cameras out tomorrow. About dark I was needing some fresh air and decided to go for a walk. It turned into a scouting mission and found that some of my old spots have very high traffic so it should be awesome hunting when Tim and I come here on the first leg of our hunting trip next month. Edited by Luke E.

I've worked the last 8 days dark til dark. I did get a doe Saturday morning with the truck.

I hoped you recovered her, we used to hit one at least once a month when I worked by the bunkers.  We would call the MPs, then throw it in the back and have a cookout.

I hoped you recovered her, we used to hit one at least once a month when I worked by the bunkers.  We would call the MPs, then throw it in the back and have a cookout.

I wouldn't think a deer hit by a truck would be fit to eat. :shake: Anyway, as I said, I was going to work. I went on to work.

Depends on how fast you were going and exactly where it hit. I have picked up a few I have seen get hit before and it just depends.

I went out this morning. Had 5 does come out across the field 260 yards away. Two of them turned and started trotting back into the woods and I didn't want to miss a chance for meat. Was hoping they would have came closer and maybe a chance to drop two of them but did not look like was going to happen.
Luckily the bigger doe of the group was standing still so put a 180gr TTSX into her lungs. 5 down and 2 more would be wonderful.

I wouldn't think a deer hit by a truck would be fit to eat. :shake: Anyway, as I said, I was going to work. I went on to work.

jonathon1289 is correct, if on the interstate I would guess there would be little to salvage but on the slower roads and a well placed bumper there is not too much damage.  Most of the ones we recovered were hit in the head/shoulder area so a lot of meat left.

Well, while I have been in Florida I got some of my old trails cleared, cameras put out, mild scouting and a couple feeders put out along the side that my cousin has seen a hog or two near. I had seed to plant but didn't get that far along. I left the seed in case my grandfather needs a reason to get out of the house to clear his head a bit.
I was going to get the seed in this morning but my grandfather wanted me to show him where the cameras were and how to operate them because he's really wanting to get a picture of the wolves and panthers. We've lost 2 horses and probably 200 turkeys and chickens to them and others in the area have lost horses as well. Most of this has been in the last three months since they cut and burned a 3,000 acre tract of planted pines near by. I found some tracks about the size of my wife's hand in one area. The claws look to be an inch or longer in length. Those were the wolf tracks, I also located some tracks from the cats that aren't far from being the same size. They say they are wolves that have a bit of coyote in them but the folks that have seen them say they are HUGE. My great aunt and grandfather have both seen them on the move and from a distance but not gotten a real good look. Hopefully we'll get a pic and then figure up the next move to make. Gotta get them patterned first though.
  • Like 1

Well, while I have been in Florida I got some of my old trails cleared, cameras put out, mild scouting and a couple feeders put out along the side that my cousin has seen a hog or two near. I had seed to plant but didn't get that far along. I left the seed in case my grandfather needs a reason to get out of the house to clear his head a bit.
I was going to get the seed in this morning but my grandfather wanted me to show him where the cameras were and how to operate them because he's really wanting to get a picture of the wolves and panthers. We've lost 2 horses and probably 200 turkeys and chickens to them and others in the area have lost horses as well. Most of this has been in the last three months since they cut and burned a 3,000 acre tract of planted pines near by. I found some tracks about the size of my wife's hand in one area. The claws look to be an inch or longer in length. Those were the wolf tracks, I also located some tracks from the cats that aren't far from being the same size. They say they are wolves that have a bit of coyote in them but the folks that have seen them say they are HUGE. My great aunt and grandfather have both seen them on the move and from a distance but not gotten a real good look. Hopefully we'll get a pic and then figure up the next move to make. Gotta get them patterned first though.

Wow, didn't even know wolves existed in FL!

Wow, didn't even know wolves existed in FL!

We didn't either but after a great deal of research by my Aunt it turns out that there are small pockets or pairs of them in states that you would have never dreamed. My uncle, her husband, retired from the Florida Fish and Game commission so they were able to find info a little easier than most folks would have been. Those that have seen this pair are guessing them to be 60-70% wolf but I'm not sure about their qualifications for estimating wolf/coyote percentages though. My Aunt and Grandfather both said that one is noticeably larger than the other and the sizes of the tracks I found seem to back that up (male and female?). The general consensus is that even the smaller one is huge and they both have a reddish tint to the fur on their tail.
They attack the horses in 2 stages, they come the first time and injure the horse and then leave. They give it time to let the adrenalin run out and the injuries take their toll and then come back the next day or two to finish it off. The first one of my family's horses they got was torn up bad. One grabbed it from behind and is large enough that it, from the rear, it could reach around to the front side of the horses hips and it sank claws in and ripped half inch deep tears all the way to the rear while the other tore up the front legs and face. Theirs was the first in the area to be attacked so they had no idea what was going on so they stayed up that first night but saw nothing. They stuck the horse in a smaller fenced in area where they could care for it. That next morning the horse was still like they left it so they changed bandages etc and then, in the middle of the day, they happened to come outside and heard the horses raising hell so they took off towards their field and got there in time to see the two coy wolves running off into the planted pines. It was to late, they said that the poor horse had no more hide left on it's face and its neck was in really bad shape among other bad injuries. They had the vet come out and put the horse down. The vet also took samples to send off to check for rabies and ? (I assume) but I forgot to ask what they found out, I would assume that there was nothing that showed up or she'd have likely mentioned it.
It sounds like none of the kills have been clean kills but rather a slow painful one.