How do you heat your workshop?

• 3 weeks later...

So someone help me out here. I have my propane wall heater hung and have all of the materials to run the line through the wall and to the heater. I am trying to figure out what I need on the outside though from the tank to the black pipe. I am going to order the dual stage regulator online and it has a 1/4" pipe thread inlet and 3/8" pipe thread outlet.

Here's the regulator: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camco-59323-Olympian-RV-LP-Propane-Horizontal-Two-Stage-Regulator-/130970501460

I am thinking I will need one of these acme nut adapters to connect the regulator to the tank : http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/mr-heaterreg%3B-propane-grill-acme-nut-black

I'll then connect this hose from the regulator to my black pipe in the wall. The black pipe is 1/2" pipe thread so I will have to use an adapter there.

Sound good so far?

I live in Bartlett, TN.  God heats my workshop approx 9 months out of the year. The 3 months I use a small plug in oil heater. 

The one that looks like the old water filled heater in which the water was heated in a boiler then sent around the house.

I plug it in about an hour prior to go in and it keeps my room toasty.

Lp

This is what I do with my shop.  It seemed like the best source of heat that had the least chance of creating a fire that would set off a lot of powder.

I believe I have it worked out. I had a bear of a time getting an old fitting out of the bottom of my heater but now have everything plumbed from the heater through the wall to the outside. I'm just waiting on my regulator and an adapter fitting to come in and I'll be ready to go. I'm gonna run it on a 20lb tank until I can go pickup a 40lb.

I also had to order a CO alarm for my house since we are trying to adopt so I just ordered an extra one to go in the garage.

Edit: And thanks to Luke E. for finding me that heater!

Edited by maroonandwhite
A 100lb cylinder might be a good consideration too. I use one for gas logs in my house vs having to have a really big tank or smoking thru 20lb grill cylinders.

And some TSC's fill propane for about $85-$100 for a 100lb cylinder so pricing for the gas is competitive.

A 100lb cylinder might be a good consideration too. I use one for gas logs in my house vs having to have a really big tank or smoking thru 20lb grill cylinders.

And some TSC's fill propane for about $85-$100 for a 100lb cylinder so pricing for the gas is competitive.

It's be easier for sure but I just don't know if I want to try to handle a 100 lb tank. I haven't bought a truck yet either so it won't fit in my car regardless.

I believe I have it worked out. I had a bear of a time getting an old fitting out of the bottom of my heater but now have everything plumbed from the heater through the wall to the outside. I'm just waiting on my regulator and an adapter fitting to come in and I'll be ready to go. I'm gonna run it on a 20lb tank until I can go pickup a 40lb.

I also had to order a CO alarm for my house since we are trying to adopt so I just ordered an extra one to go in the garage.

Edit: And thanks to Luke E. for finding me that heater!

Glad it worked out for you. Not to mention you just saved me the shelf space that it was about to take up until I never used it ;)
  • 1 month later...

So how has the heater been working for you?  I too have been trying to decide how to heat my garage/shop 28x40 with a 10 foot ceiling.  A wood stove is not really the answer for my garage is 2 story with a 12/12 pitch and would require way too much stove pipe.  I have been thinking about a propane heater and was curious how yours is doing and about how much fuel it uses.

So how has the heater been working for you?  I too have been trying to decide how to heat my garage/shop 28x40 with a 10 foot ceiling.  A wood stove is not really the answer for my garage is 2 story with a 12/12 pitch and would require way too much stove pipe.  I have been thinking about a propane heater and was curious how yours is doing and about how much fuel it uses.

It's working good so far. I haven't bought a bigger tank yet. I did run through one 20b tank but it wasn't really full to begin with. I was also running it wide open and not using the thermostat.

The thing to watch out for as others have said is burning up the oxygen. I actually have a window in my shop so I just crack it a little after it warms up to let fresh air in. It doesn't really drop the temp much either. I would also install a carbon monoxide alarm which I have done.

I may have to get a new heater after this winter though. The one I was gifted is a blue flame type and I am concerned it is not burning at 100% efficiency as the tips of the flame have some red on them right off the bat. Once it warms up though I just leave it on low so it kicks on and off regularly.I will probably go with an infrared net time.

If you plan on using it a lot then I would definitely go for a big tank.

Yep. I haven't noticed much of that. The worst was when I opened the garage door one time with a big temperature differential and got a good bit of condensation. Again though I am not having to run mine long. The little space is actually insulated pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garage has enough flourecent lighting that there is no need for a heater. Everything's been insulated to make sure the heat stays in and cold out. Reverse for the summer, have a small remote controlled window AC to help with the heat in the summer.

Now for my Mini-barn, I currently don't really need a heater, just go out there in coveralls when it gets really chilly. though i was thinking about using a small space heater for when it gets too cold, otherwise i stay in the nice warm house.

I use a blue flame propane gas heater which work's via convection heat and does a really good job. The beauty of this is you can set up a gas log fireplace or another blue flame heater in your house as well. Then if you have a power outage in cold weather you will have heat.