Made on Mon or Friday

I've done it, but catch it before inserting powder and primer. If a company makes millions of something, there are bound to be a problem or three.

Yep, I've done it myself a few times. Never saw a factory round tho. Always caught it as soon as I did it.......so far.

I once had 2 rounds of .223 in a box of .222 from Remington. I called and talked to a really nice lady who sent me a package with a prepaid return envelope and 2 boxes of ammo in it. She said they couldn't catch them all and that they appreciated my business.

I've even put a couple in sideways. Now that takes some doing.

Many moons ago, my dad was sitting at his reloading bench and I heard the "bluest words" come from him. He had a couple turned sideways. And It did not sit well(Damn, bad pun!) well with him.

Dad was a perfectionist, and the smallest mistake was absolutely verboten! At least in his own actions. He was pretty good with everyone else.

Or I wouldn't be here. I made a whole bunch of mistakes back then.

I work in manufacturing there are ways to 100% prevent this. The use of photo detection would be great here. Taking a photo and comparing against a control subject, would help tremendously. Not too expensive.

100% prevent when you're making millions? Not if you plan to make money at it. A statistician would tell you that it's physically impossible if you make more than one.

There's an expontentially inverse relationship between scrap rate and cost to reduce it. The law of diminishing returns, if you will. In high volume work, there's a point at which it's cheaper to accept some amount of scrap than it is to reduce it.

100% prevent when you're making millions? Not if you plan to make money at it. A statistician would tell you that it's physically impossible if you make more than one.

There's an expontentially inverse relationship between scrap rate and cost to reduce it. The law of diminishing returns, if you will. In high volume work, there's a point at which it's cheaper to accept some amount of scrap than it is to reduce it.

Know the theory, was trained in it, but some manufacturing environments just require zero defects, regardless of cost and quantity.  Ever heard of Poky Yoke?  If designed properly virtually impossible to create or spill defective product.

Some of this conversation is making my brain defective ... I think I was made on a Friday night , is that good or bad ?

Friday night was celebrating,.. Friday afternoon was a rush to finish up and get out to go celebrate.

Monday morning was dragging in hung over so,..

Friday Night not so bad..

Know the theory, was trained in it, but some manufacturing environments just require zero defects, regardless of cost and quantity.  Ever heard of Poky Yoke?  If designed properly virtually impossible to create or spill defective product.

I lived in that world for a number of years. TQM, 6 Sigma, Poka Yoke, Kaizan, VOC, T-tests, ad nasuem....   Those are a bunch of wonderful concepts that, when applied intelligently, can significantly improve a wide variety of processes.  Or what I like to call, the stuff any process engineer worth his salt had been doing long before the bosses paid the consultants an obsene amount of money to give it a fancy name.  I escaped for a while but unfortunately it's begun to invade my current world.  So far, the results have bordered on laughable. 

If there are people involved, there will be mistakes.  Anyone who says otherwise is selling something.  Make something idiot-proof, they'll make a better idiot.

• Like 5

regardless of the theory applied, time and motion will eventually take its toll on the process, and failure will begin to set in, unless there is a stringent maintenance process in place that will (hopefully) elliminate the potential threat befroe it take place, but then as sure as some enginer thinks they have it whipped, somthing else will become problematic that was not factored in.  so unfortunatly there will always be the Monday-Friday phenomenom, but it just might be on tuesday and wednesday.

You talk about this like it is rare. A great deal of the milsurp ammo in 5.56 that we buy is military reject. When Autozone or Advance buys a box car of lifetime warranty brake pads, they get 15-20% credit upfront for "defects" that will be warranty exchanged. When a Lowes warehouse receives a truckload of toilets they get a certain number extra for free just to cover breakage. The manufacturers figure these costs in as doing business.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought 3 boxes same lot of a well known brand of .308 same lot. Just happened to be looking at them prior to going deer hunting and found 2 or 3 rounds with no primer. I bought them at wally world and liked to have never explained the reason I couldn't use them at the return/customer service desk. I never thought about sending the company any correspondence. It pays to look at a round prior to loading it. Several years back an older doctor was at the shooting range and came into the store wanting a cleaning rod to remove a stuck piece of brass. He shot a .308 out of a 30-06 and it looked like a .308 straightwall like a larger .357 or such. He had shot some 4 or 5 rounds at a nice deer and missed, he was shooting 270's from his '06. That is a good reason to not make 30-06 out of 270 brass or vice versa, btw I know a guy that does that.