Vultures showing up

Dustbuster

I have been seeing a lot of vultures showing up in different areas that I have not observed before.i'm not talking about the 22 ammo whores we see at Walmart.I must have counted over 100 birds today during my travels it work and was wondering if there was something up with this lately.lack of food climate change anything I've just never seen this many of them in middle Tennessee in the past 15 years. They are also flying or traveling in small clusters not just a random one here or one there any ideas?
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to see them all around the I65 South area, from the Franklin to Peytonsville Road exits or days at the time. Seemed like they congregated in some of the (then) open fields on both sides.

But haven't been in that area much lately, so I can't say for sure.

I have though, seen some flying around in the Madison/Inglewood areas this fall.

I have noticed an increase as well, I have seen more deer down on the side of the road as well so that is what i was chalking it up to.

I think the more 40degree days are keeping the deer a little more active later into Dec, add in the shortened daylight there are probably more accidents. We used to see an increase in MI every time it would stay warmer longer in the year. They said it was due to the rush hour being in the dark and the deer being more active later. The extra food may be the reason for more vultures.

Edited by LI0NSFAN

Yep, and they are also a protected species and if you think about it they do us humans a great service by cleaning up all the dead nasty things laying on and beside the roads and highways.....................jmho  The larger ones that are out west can have a wing span of up to and over 6-8 feet and they call them Turkey Buzzards out there.......................... :popcorn: :popcorn:

They seem to love the powerline towers on my place.  They can always be found up there, sometimes as many as twenty or so.  And I agree, kinda creepy specially at night.  But they sure helped clean up deer guts pretty quickly. 

Yep, and they are also a protected species and if you think about it they do us humans a great service by cleaning up all the dead nasty things laying on and beside the roads and highways.....................jmho The larger ones that are out west can have a wing span of up to and over 6-8 feet and they call them Turkey Buzzards out there.......................... :popcorn: :popcorn:

We have both black vultures and turkey vultures here.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Black_Vulture/id
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Turkey_Vulture/id

and fortunately, no California Condors. BTW, I have been to their rookery near San Carlos de Bariloche, Argentina. The Argentines don't care for them near as much as the Kalifornicates.

I wish we did have condors. Those things are gigantic!

As long as we don't have the EPA up our kazoo.  And yes, they are really big. And nasty.  The rookeries were on cliff-sides. The walls of the cliffs looked like they had been whitewashed for hundreds of yards. Down, and across.  These things probably poop a gallon or two at a time. 

I beg to differ,  but that would not be a good thing.  Look what those kooky kalifornians have done with lead bans due to them.  I would hate for a movement like that to get started out here.

They migrate south for the winter and add to the local population. About 75 in and around Manchester/Lake Normandy. Mostly Black Vultures. Congregate in large roosts. Winter in this area every year. I counted 34 in the trees at the end of my property several years ago. None here now as the water towers in town seem to be their favorite spot for the past two months.