Glock - I'm Bummin'

graycrait

To me they still haven't made a "pocket " 380 . I bought one because it was dirt cheap , still haven't shot it and not sure if I ever will . I was there when the original owner shot it so I know it works  . Others are making 9 mm pistols the size or real close to that of the model 42 .  I carried a Kel Tec P3AT for years and that is a pocket gun. I heard they are a million guns behind now .

The " 40 Hunter " should help them get caught up . Don't get me wrong , I am a 10 mm fan and have a model 20 and a conversion barrel for my G30 so that it basically gives me a model 29 . But you are going to have a very limited amount of people that will even think of getting a 10 mm at all and then even fewer that want a larger pistol than the full size 20 . Every one seemed to gripe about the grip being to big on the 20/21 pistols to start with so they came up with the "SF" short frame . I am one of the ones that would have bought one but with all the secrecy of coming products , I had no idea what they would be making next so I bought a Lone Wolf long slide and barrel for Christmas and an SF lower to give me a complete 6.02" ported 10 mm with a stainless slide . It is just not cut for optics that I wouldn't have put on it anyway . So I already have one and see no need to buy one just to get Glock printed on the slide . 

I have read several other forums where people are tired of waiting and after the news that no new 9mm  at the shot show , where going to buy some other brand . I have a Taurus PT709 slim , A little big for the pocket , depending on the pants , but it is clear Glock is going to do what they want and don't care what we want . Vote with your dollars and buy something else and then when or if they do build one let them wonder why it didn't sell as well as they thought. I am sure it would sell but every year there are customers buying something else that will not replace it with a Glock "IF" Glock ever builds one. I am one of the stupid ones that will probably replace my Taurus with one if they build one. But only because I am collecting different models and have the other single stacks. I would be in no hurry and wait on the bugs to get worked out and then also wait for a deal on one , but I could see me doing it. 

I don't see how they have sold as many of the 42's as they have . I would have never bought one new and then given the problems with it, and size  (it's too big for my pocket) . It is supposedly the most comfortable to shoot in the 380 polymer pistols , but why buy a 380 to shoot . The ammo is higher and less powerful than the 9 x 19 . I just don't get it but then again they didn't ask me .

I do like my 36 in 45 ACP and carry it every now and then . Many say it was a flop for them on sales . 

I bought a G42 for my daughter to shoot. She has extremely small hands and the little .380 pocket pistols are just too snappy. I wanted something larger that would be easier for her to shoot. The PPK style pistols, which are of similar size are blowback operation and I think they still have more felt recoil than the G42. The only other option is the Walther PK380, and I have one of those too, so she can see which one she likes best.

I think buyers like me and other recoil sensitive buyers are what is driving the sales of the G42.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by LCPfraTN

I wanted a G19 for a long time to compliment my sub2k but my thoughts on them have cooled significantly. Gaston really did come up with a great design, but they seem very set on their business model of providing full and mid size striker fired pistols. :snore:

"Glock; We're committed to resting on our laurels! :up: "

Glock's market has ALWAYS been government agencies. I'm not sure they give a rat's ass what we think. We're the crowd that buys Taurus, High point, and all the other "consumer" grade guns. I view the G42 as a backup and off duty gun for Glock's primary market. Sure they are going to sell guns to everybody. I just don't see them going real wrong here. Cater to the pros. 

I will most likely buy a G42 for what it is. There is a big smorgasbord of carry guns out there. I'm not going to get pissed at Glock because they focus on their market. I'm pretty sure they're gonna keep a healthy share of it.

I guess people want what they want but I don't see the need for the rabid craving going around for a low capacity Glock.
I carry a 19 everyday, it's comfortable and few if any ever know.

Well. I saw you at the Shell station last summer and it was fairly obvious, of course open carry is :)

I bought a G42 for my daughter to shoot. She has extremely small hands and the little .380 pocket pistols are just too snappy. I wanted something larger that would be easier for her to shoot. The PPK style pistols, which are of similar size are blowback operation and I think they still have more felt recoil than the G42. The only other option is the Walther PK380, and I have one of those too, so she can see which one she likes best.
I think buyers like me and other recoil sensitive buyers are what is driving the sales of the G42.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another excellent option for low recoil and even smaller size is the Sig 238 .380. It is the softest shooting small .380 I have ever experienced. It is a non-blowback locked breech action.

Another excellent option for low recoil and even smaller size is the Sig 238 .380. It is the softest shooting small .380 I have ever experienced. It is a non-blowback locked breech action.

I have one if those too, but it's single action and has a safety, which for a novice shooter to contend with means more complexity than the G42. It's smaller size probably still makes it more snappy than the Glock, but I could be wrong...we'll see. I'm going to have her shoot some single stack 9mm pistols too, but the recoil may not be as comfortable for her as a .380 even though the 9mm pistols I would have her shoot are larger pistols.

Back on topic...sorry for thread drift. I currently don't have a polymer frame single stack 9mm, and want one, so i will probably end up with a Shield or CW9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glock's market has ALWAYS been government agencies. I'm not sure they give a rat's ass what we think. We're the crowd that buys Taurus, High point, and all the other "consumer" grade guns. I view the G42 as a backup and off duty gun for Glock's primary market. Sure they are going to sell guns to everybody. I just don't see them going real wrong here. Cater to the pros. 

I will most likely buy a G42 for what it is. There is a big smorgasbord of carry guns out there. I'm not going to get pissed at Glock because they focus on their market. I'm pretty sure they're gonna keep a healthy share of it.

All very true, but that doesn't mean theres a good reason for not having an active R&D team. Now I'm sure Glock has an R&D team, I'm also sure it's one of the easier gigs in the industry. 

"Hey Tom, will .357 magnum work in one of our guns?"

"No Gunter, it won't."

"Soooo, make more 19s?"

"Yup"

"Bonuses and strippers for everyone!"

Seriously though, I do think you nailed it, Glock reminds me a bit of a friendlier H&K.

All very true, but that doesn't mean theres a good reason for not having an active R&D team. Now I'm sure Glock has an R&D team, I'm also sure it's one of the easier gigs in the industry. 

"Hey Tom, will .357 magnum work in one of our guns?"

"No Gunter, it won't."

"Soooo, make more 19s?"

"Yup"

"Bonuses and strippers for everyone!"

Seriously though, I do think you nailed it, Glock reminds me a bit of a friendlier H&K.

R&D guys? You mean those guys that designed the G19 Gen4? So, they designed a new generation of the most popular pistol on the planet. And, because of some early problems, it was proclaimed by some of our same Taurus buying friends that they were no longer capable of designing a pistol.

They have something to protect. They're also not the only manufacturer with a leading position that doesn't chase trends with the rest. It's much more important, IMO, that their products are rock solid.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1

That's them.  The same bunch that screwed up a decent trigger and ejection pattern.  Fresh new engineers...uh, CAD operators, fresh out of school.

I didn't realize how screwed up it is. I reckon I better shoot mine some more. My Gen 4 trigger feels exactly like my Gen 3 triggers

• Like 3

So you feel no difference between a Gen 3 & 4 trigger?

Not that I can feel. I thought I felt a very slight difference between my Gen 4 23 and my Gen 3 19. Swapped the Gen 3 19 for a Gen 4.

Just compared my Gen 4 19 with my Gen 3 36 and my Gen 3 30s. I can't feel a significant difference between any of them. I will chalk up the very minor differences to the fact that they are mass produced guns with no hand fitting. I bought the 30 series guns new. Haven't even shot the 30s yet.

When Gen4 came out, ATF was looking to upgrade.

They eventually said, "We like the gun, but the trigger sucks.  Fix it and we"ll move forward."

That was the birth of the ATF/Dot connector.  Initial Gen4s were shipped with a standard connector and the triggers sucked.

Now, every Gen4 is shipped with an ATF/Dot connector.  Not a miracle, but much better.

Put an ATF/Dot connector in your Gen1-3 and you will notice an even better improvement.

Side note edit...

In 9mm, a Gen3 G19, with the following mods, is my favorite "combat handgun," (if you don't go with the Walther PPQ). 

-Decent sights of your choice.  I like Trijicon's HDs.

-Vickers mag release.

-Wolff steel recoil spring rod and 15lb spring (unless all you shoot is NATO or +P ammo).

-OEM Glock ATF/Dot connector.

-Stipple job (obviously just a personal preference).

For me, this is as good as Glock gets to the perfect SD handgun and it's what I use.  Thousands of rounds and zero malfunctions (and a lot of Russian steel case).

When it comes to Glocks, I like to stick as close to stock as possible for reliability, but the above mods only enhance the gun.

As to the recoil rod/spring assembly...for any caliber other than 9mm, I usually recommend staying stock.

Edited by TN-popo

My Gen 3 19 is my constant carry companion.

I'm not surprised Glock still introduce a small single stack 9mm...

but I am a bit bummed by it.

I had high hopes tons of people would rush out and buy one and I could then pick up one of their 9mm Shields for less than nothing! What's a fella to do? :cool:

When Gen4 came out, ATF was looking to upgrade.

They eventually said, "We like the gun, but the trigger sucks.  Fix it and we"ll move forward."

That was the birth of the ATF/Dot connector.  Initial Gen4s were shipped with a standard connector and the triggers sucked.

Now, every Gen4 is shipped with an ATF/Dot connector.  Not a miracle, but much better.

Put an ATF/Dot connector in your Gen1-3 and you will notice an even better improvement.

There you have it.