Wake up call

jacob

Woke up this morning at 5am to use the bathroom. When I got up it took me a second to realize my heart was pounding. Also felt like spasms as well, with irregular beating. Tried to lay back down and relax since there was no chest pain or pressure. After a couple of hours laying in anxiety sleep found me again. Woke up an about 9am with the same problem. Decided to go to a minor med to check things before I went to the ER unnecessarily. My heart rate calmed down a little by the time I'd gotten in to the exam room. Doc listened to things and took BP. Heart rate was still elevated but BP was 140/104. Not sure what is the cause, but I am going to make an appointment with my primary Dr to get further tests.

Not really sure why I am typing this other than I am just nervous about things and felt maybe part of the cure is expression...
I get atrial fibrillation (irregular heartbeat) from time to time. Sometimes caused by stress, chocolate, caffeine, booze...it can make you light headed, and if really bad I suppose you could pass out. What you described sort of feels like that could be it, but only a doctor can tell for sure. Worst thing is they will probably order a treadmill test -hate those. If that is your problem they may try diet, exercise or even meds for when it gets out of rhythm. Just said a prayer for you...let us know what the doc says. Best wishes, B
  • Like 3
Yea, the nurse practitioner I saw today said the same thing...she seemed to feel I would be fine if I didn't feel worse. I feel much better than earlier this morning...just curious what the doc will find is wrong...

I remember waking up one night with my heart beating like crazy, similar scenario to yours. I was in my mid thirties, had a couple of young kids, questionable job issues. Thought I was about to buy the farm. My old man dropped dead in his mid thirties from a heart attack so I was pretty freaked out.

Turns out it was just cumulative stress.

So relax, wait on your doc to get back to you, if you smoke quit, and eat more vegetables.

Wish you the best on figuring it out. Been dealing with my own for 2years now & 36 as well.

Worst part about it is worrying, cardiologist said none of my irregular beats or SVT is anything to stress over, but when your ticker acts up, there's no way you can not worry about it.
  • Like 1
EKG was normal, BP was below hypertension level (has still been fluctuating), blood work still pending. Doc said I need to make some lifestyle changes or things could get worse later in life...

Started keeping a food journal and exercising...cutting out alcohol and sodas...hopefully it will doe some good...
Good luck and prayers on the way.

I went thru something similar last year at 30yrs old and again recently. Was working long odd hours at work, just miserable. Started having numbness in my fingers. Got scared, looked up symptoms of a heart attack. Started worrying about it and before long was having chest tightnes, light headed, ect...

Ended up having a 2 ekg's, a stress test, and an echo. Cant find any problems with my ticker. Even had a CT scan on my head for the light headedness and no problems. All the docs say its anxiety related. On the plus side Ive dropped 30lbs and eating much more healthy. It also put the fear of God back in me. Got me back into church and trying to live better. Edited by Bad_Bowtie
  • Like 2

The first thing you need to do is get your stress and anxiety under control. Make sure you follow your doctors recommendations and kinda chill. Let them diagnose your problems and treat your conditions. Prayers sent for a long life for you................. :up:  

• Like 1

The first thing you need to do is get your stress and anxiety under control. Make sure you follow your doctors recommendations and kinda chill. Let them diagnose your problems and treat your conditions. Prayers sent for a long life for you................. :up:

Thank you, very much appreciated..
The body is complex system with Many worning sings that go unnoticed. Having been a nurse and paramedic for 25 years I have seen May that did not heed that warning This could be caused by many things. I would suggest you follow up soon with your Primary Care to get it check out. A very good possibility is Sleep Apnea. Although the it could be many others Do Not Wait for this to happen again to get it checked out
  • Like 1

The body is complex system with Many worning sings that go unnoticed. Having been a nurse and paramedic for 25 years I have seen May that did not heed that warning This could be caused by many things. I would suggest you follow up soon with your Primary Care to get it check out. A very good possibility is Sleep Apnea. Although the it could be many others Do Not Wait for this to happen again to get it checked out

My PCP ran tests which all came back normal. My BP is still a little above normal, but doc said was most likely related to my weight being too high. He mentioned sleep apnea but I told him my wife hadn't ever mentioned it, she said she would start checking on me since I generally fall asleep before she does.

Basically just going to heed doc warning and work on diet and dropping some pounds, he said based on the test results being inconclusive would be the best for me along with periodically checking BP... Edited by jacob