Titans Draft Mariota

So, I'm far from a Titans fan, but I do like to see them do well since it's a positive for the community.

But drafting Mariota?  I really don't see any large benefit over Mettenberger that justify using the #2 pick on him.  I think the Titans front office were hoping for the kings ransom for that pick, and seriously misjudged their environment.

Here's hoping they draft some good offensive lineman...otherwise no matter if it's Mariota or Mettenberger taking snaps, Titans QB is still going to be the most dangerous job in Tennessee.

• Like 3

Yep. Totally agree with both of you.

Can't see the need for a big name QB right now. Money would be better spent, IMO, on offensive and defensive linemen.

Get some protection from and for passes before shelling out what could be a large amount of money for Mariota.

Edited by hipower

I feel bad for the Titans. They had a horrible year, get the 2nd pick, and have one of the worst draft class in years. Slim pickings in this draft.

Yes, I thought that. I'm sure not a big sports guy, and have very little knowledge of these collegiate players; but it sure did seem like a lot of Ho-hum guys available.

Tackles going in the first round???

Yes, I thought that. I'm sure not a big sports guy, and have very little knowledge of these collegiate players; but it sure did seem like a lot of Ho-hum guys available.

Hey, tackles are an important position! Of course I may be a bit partial. But seriously it's painful being a Titans fan. I don't watch much sports either but I root for my home team, and it hurts.

It's a weak draft class by comparison, but every team is dealing with that, so it isn't a problem unique to the Titans. 

Offense or defense, a tackle in the first round isn't bad at all provided he is ready to play in the NFL and isn't injury prone.  Draft the right one, lock in a contract extension early enough, and you can have him as a steady presence for a long time to build around.

Edited by btq96r

I think Mariota was a reach

So, I'm far from a Titans fan, but I do like to see them do well since it's a positive for the community.

But drafting Mariota?  I really don't see any large benefit over Mettenberger that justify using the #2 pick on him.  I think the Titans front office were hoping for the kings ransom for that pick, and seriously misjudged their environment.

Here's hoping they draft some good offensive lineman...otherwise no matter if it's Mariota or Mettenberger taking snaps, Titans QB is still going to be the most dangerous job in Tennessee.

^This. I think they were asking too much to trade. Mariota hasn't huddled or called a play since high school. There's no guarantee he can even transition to the NFL game.  He would have been perfect for the Philadelphia Eagles and their offense. Maybe they can trade him to Chip Kelly.

Any draft pick is hit or miss. Some will fall flat on their face and wash out when their contract allows, and some do spectacular. Some walk-on players make it too. No one here can read the minds of the Titan's management to know what their plan is; we can only hope that it's a sound one.

It's a weak draft class by comparison, but every team is dealing with that, so it isn't a problem unique to the Titans. 

I think hipower was noting the combination of a weak draft class and a high picking order for the Titans. Not every team is dealing with that.

Still, I think it hurts teams in the #6 through mid 20s more. This class has maybe 5 good picks to get excited over, and that's a big maybe. After that, there's not a lot to get excited over. For teams picking in the high 20s and later, every year is pretty well picked over by then for real star players other than those rare very deep years and the dumb-luck late round sleepers that turn out to have been a genius pick.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Authorized Vendor

I think Mariota was a reach

^This. I think they were asking too much to trade. Mariota hasn't huddled or called a play since high school. There's no guarantee he can even transition to the NFL game.  He would have been perfect for the Philadelphia Eagles and their offense. Maybe they can trade him to Chip Kelly.

Kelly offered the Titans the whole farm for him and they turned him down. Stupid move on the Titans considering they just don't need a QB...they need help in nearly every position on both sides of the ball. I see the Titans going nowhere and Mariota on IR before the end of the year.