CMP to get 1911s?

If...., and that is a BIG IF so long as BHO is still around...., this happens they'll have to build a camp ground at the South Store for all of the folks waiting for the door to open on 1911 sale day!   :hyper:  

• Like 7
With the current administration I'd say they're more likely to send them to Anniston to be run through the crushes/torches than have civilians end up buying them. But, but, but if they do come up for sale them you know where I'll be.

If it comes to fruition I'll be curious to see how they're priced.  Unlike Garands, M1 Carbines, and 03's we are awash in currently manufactured 1911 options, including GI copies.  If they want $$$$$ for some beat up Remington Rand, I'd rather put that money toward a Dan Wesson.   :shrug:

Agree that there are worlds of great 1911s out there today.  We are blessed to not to be required to only dealing with all of the old worn-out and war-weary 1911s that where the majority of the market only about 35 years ago (another than a Colt of course).  

But what the new ones don't have is this........

2luunmh.jpg

And the History that goes with it. 

• Like 1
DMark, those marks and the "history" are certainly worth something, and in the current market, those markings demand quite a premium. The question I have is what does that premium become if the CMP gets 100,000 of them and starts selling? I have to think that premium comes down quite a bit...or at least I hope it does. I'd like to have one or two, but I can't bring myself to spend the money they currently command in the market when I can get a really nice new replica for much less money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Edited by LCPfraTN
The 1911's Marines were issued in the 70's were rattle traps all right. When you qualified with them it kind of reminded me of throwing rocks. You could still shoot expert though......once you figured out what part of the target to shoot at to hit the X.

I'd love to have a CMP 1911 but I can't see it happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IF it were to go through, bear in mind that CMP will still have to unpack, inspect  and in some cases repair as needed every single pistol. Last I heard they were short handed and couldn't even keep up with current demands for sales. I figure it could be a couple of years or more before the pistols actually go on sale. 

Oh and yes, I'd buy one, maybe two......... or a dozen.  :D

• Like 1

DMark, those marks and the "history" are certainly worth something, and in the current market, those markings demand quite a premium. The question I have is what does that premium become if the CMP gets 100,000 of them and starts selling? I have to think that premium comes down quite a bit...or at least I hope it does. I'd like to have one or two, but I can't bring myself to spend the money they currently command in the market when I can get a really nice new replica for much less money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree that there are worlds of great 1911s out there today.  We are blessed to not to be required to only dealing with all of the old worn-out and war-weary 1911s that where the majority of the market only about 35 years ago (another than a Colt of course).  

But what the new ones don't have is this........

2luunmh.jpg

And the History that goes with it. 

DMARK gets it. For some of us you can feel the History in these "old war horses". I wouldn't trade my 1943 Ithaca M1911A1 for any of the new 1911's on the market today. Its some thing I can't explain.

I guess that's why some like to collect old guns and some like to have the newest model out. I'm lucky to do both.

Edited by crossfire
  • Like 1

I guess that's why some like to collect old guns and some like to have the newest model out. I'm lucky to do both.

I also like to collect old guns, but most of my old guns don't have a modern equivalent to compare too, so I don't find myself in the dilemma that 1911 pistols put me in. I'm just hoping that if the CMP gets these, that the prices for field and service grades will be below the $1K mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I'm just hoping that if the CMP gets these, that the prices for field and service grades will be below the $1K mark.

If (Again I say IF), the CMP ever went into the 1911 sales business, I don't think they would price them much below the current market value.  The recent sale of IHC Garands (admittedly a smaller amount of firearms) where priced higher than most of us figured (about $200 + below market).  

A review of USGI 1911s on Gunbroker shows sales in the $1200 - $1500 range for what I would call "Field & Service" grade examples.  My best guess would have CMP 1911s somewhere around $1000 + or - $100 or so.

I hope it happens... 

But even if it did happen.......

The way this political regime slow rolls any law passed by Congress that it doesn't care to enforce or act upon doesn't bode well that the North & South stores will be building pistol racks anytime soon.  

I would prefer a Philippine made new in the box Colt spec'd Rock Island over a much used loose US Military 1911.  I don't put the same value on US Military 1911s like I would on a 1903 or a Garand.   I have a friend who has his grandfather's carry 1911 from WWI and this friend was a young Marine in WWII.  Having the chancd to buy a loose rust bucket for a $1000.00 seems a little strange to me.