Miculek and the AF2011

Great video, gifted shooter who's a real showman as well...but aside from it's novelty aspect the AF2011 is a purposeless and silly pistol. Still and all anyone who has the means and wherewithal not to mention to desire one should probably do so. I think it'll be a collectable gun a few years down the road from now/

Anyone else notice the difference in timing between the barrel in each gun? One bullet is slightly ahead of the other. I wonder if that's on purpose? Lengthen the recoil pulse maybe?

I noticed the same thing.  Think it could be variance in the ammo?

I did notice that as well. But since all I really know about the 1911 is how to load and pull the trigger; I'm going to ask someone tomorrow who might have an answer for this.

It's consistent with both guns for multiple shots.  Looks like the right bullet is ahead of the left every time, unless they're showing the same shots multiple times. 

It's consistent with both guns for multiple shots. Looks like the right bullet is ahead of the left every time, unless they're showing the same shots multiple times.

It seemed like in one shot the rounds were really close to one another but that could have been camera angle. That and after watching it you are correct about the right being the leader.

Wouldn't it have to be ammo related? The hammer is tied together so both firing pins are being hit at the same time. The barrels both seem to be flush with each other on the front so unless one barrel chamber is slightly forward of the other then I'd think it would have to be ammo. If that's the case then the barrel would have to be a little bit shorter on the inside.

I'm not sure if this is the case where it's being done on purpose but,

The old African type double rifles, the reason they are so expensive is that it's a very tedious and time consuming process to regulate the barrels. And by that, they have to adjust them to ensure that if both barrels are fired at the same time, that the bullets don't strike each other mid flight. Sometimes it takes a lot of ammunition and those rifles didn't fire cheap ammo to begin with.

I'm not saying they designed this 1911 to fire one barrel slightly later than the other, but it would make perfect sense if so.

The gun has two triggers, otherwise it would be an NFA item. One trigger is going to get pulled before the other even if you think you're pulling both at the same time.  That's what you're seeing.

Edited by Garufa

The gun has two triggers, otherwise it would be an NFA item. One trigger is going to get pulled before the other even if you think you're pulling both at the same time.  That's what you're seeing.

I see writeups stating "two triggers permanently joined".

- OS

Wouldn't it have to be ammo related? The hammer is tied together so both firing pins are being hit at the same time. The barrels both seem to be flush with each other on the front so unless one barrel chamber is slightly forward of the other then I'd think it would have to be ammo. If that's the case then the barrel would have to be a little bit shorter on the inside.

Not necessarily.  It wouldn't take but a few thousandths (0.001") difference in the firing pins to discharge the rounds at different times. 

If typical velocity is 950 ft/s, that's 79.2 in/s.  If one bullet is 0.5" ahead of the other leaving the muzzle, that's 0.006 seconds.

I'm not sure if this is the case where it's being done on purpose but,

The old African type double rifles, the reason they are so expensive is that it's a very tedious and time consuming process to regulate the barrels. And by that, they have to adjust them to ensure that if both barrels are fired at the same time, that the bullets don't strike each other mid flight. Sometimes it takes a lot of ammunition and those rifles didn't fire cheap ammo to begin with.

I'm not saying they designed this 1911 to fire one barrel slightly later than the other, but it would make perfect sense if so.

Right, you wouldn't want both to fire at exactly the same time.  If you spread them out just a little, that could have a big effect on recoil pulse and stress within the gun.  I hadn't thought about the bullets colliding in flight, but that makes sense too. 

I see writeups stating "two triggers permanently joined".

- OS

I recall thinking about that when these were first advertised, but forgot until this reminder.  One would assume that 2 shots with one trigger pull = NFA item, unless they've got some ruling to the contrary. 

Not necessarily.  It wouldn't take but a few thousandths (0.001") difference in the firing pins to discharge the rounds at different times. 

If typical velocity is 950 ft/s, that's 79.2 in/s.  If one bullet is 0.5" ahead of the other leaving the muzzle, that's 0.006 seconds.

Right, you wouldn't want both to fire at exactly the same time.  If you spread them out just a little, that could have a big effect on recoil pulse and stress within the gun.  I hadn't thought about the bullets colliding in flight, but that makes sense too. 

I recall thinking about that when these were first advertised, but forgot until this reminder.  One would assume that 2 shots with one trigger pull = NFA item, unless they've got some ruling to the contrary. 

That's what I get for thinking.  :rofl:

My guess is they are walking a fine line with the ATF since they actually have two separate triggers just joined together mechanically. Everyone will be righting the ATF letters soon asking them to define "trigger".  :down: