10mm?

dats82

Sooooo.... I really love the EAA Witness Elite Match I got last fall. Today a similar older model popped up on a facebook group for trade. Came with 3 mags, already upgraded wolff springs (like I put in my current model) AND a Lee Pro 1000 press mounted to a small bench set up to run 10MM, with a pile of brass and a box of Hornady XTP ammo.

He was looking for an AR and I offered up my poly lowered PSA/PTAC15, some PMAGS and ammo. Deal.

I'm happy as a clam. It's in great shape. It's a kinda parkerized blued/black finish that shows EVERYTHING, so it doesn't look pristine, but it's perfect internally. It's not as nicely finished as the Elite Match. The trigger is different, and not as crisp and light. This is just a basic, full size Witness model. It does have the proper slide and frame to handle 10MM, not like the "wonder finish" stuff that can't take the beating. I'll snap a family pic in a few minutes.

Some people think it's nuts to have multiple same/similar guns. I'm not one of those people. I have 3 M&P 40s! I like having a lot of spare mags (at 19 now for the 40 M&Ps) and having a similar platform in each vehicle.

My wifey has taken to really liking the 10MM, so now we don't have to fight over taking turns with them... just dump a pile of mags on the bench and each of us grab a pistol!
20150628_230959_zpsykupfvtb.jpg

20150628_230931_zpse1bigvrs.jpg

Quite a few differences in the details betwixt the pair. The Match has a full 5" pipe, I think the other is 4.5" or 4.75". Sights, trigger, hammer, etc are all different.

This new (older) gun is a real steel frame I believe. The match is aluminum. Though the match is the longer gun, the steel frame makes the shorter gun heavier overall. I bet it may shoot even more softly. It also has 3 dot sights, which I prefer to the all-black sights on the match.

Unfortunately I have a busy weeks ahead. It'll probably be mid-July before I get to shoot them side by side. :/
  • Like 2
I don't think it is strange to have multiples at all. One of the more respected LE range instructors got on a tangent one time about having no more than two platforms in your arsenal. Congrats to to both of you guys on your new 10's.
Haha! I get his point, being super familiar with your guns and not having to worry about which piece and protocol you have to follow with whatever gun you have that day.

Come to think of it, my collection reflects that philosophy, as all of my firearms are made up of two platforms: long guns and hand guns! :-)

Sounds like it fits pretty well and you won't beat that price easily.  10mm is not too far off a 44 when both guns use equal barrel lengths.   I still want one of the 1911ish 10's but its on the to-do list. 

20150628_230959_zpsykupfvtb.jpg

20150628_230931_zpse1bigvrs.jpg

Quite a few differences in the details betwixt the pair. The Match has a full 5" pipe, I think the other is 4.5" or 4.75". Sights, trigger, hammer, etc are all different.

This new (older) gun is a real steel frame I believe. The match is aluminum. Though the match is the longer gun, the steel frame makes the shorter gun heavier overall. I bet it may shoot even more softly. It also has 3 dot sights, which I prefer to the all-black sights on the match.

Unfortunately I have a busy weeks ahead. It'll probably be mid-July before I get to shoot them side by side. :/

you need to bring them over to my house, we can shoot them in my backyard, just say the word

My favorite round by far, I miss my Glock 20SF (the only Glock I miss out of the 5 models I had over the years) I have on layaway a Guncrafter No Name 1911 in 10mm that I cannot wait to get!

My jealousy level of your new shiny bs is gonna surpass 10 when you get that.
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So I finally got around to shooting this Glock 29SF.  I only put one box through it.  There were no issues thus far with reliability, but I am going to need more practice with it.  I can't hit shit with it.  I have a 12 inch plate that I had at about 20 yards.  That is typically no problem with my other handguns (actually can double tap on it with my 9mm that I carry), but I couldn't find the plate with this thing.  I stepped up to an actually paper target at about 7 yards and was making about a 5 inch group.  I think that is pretty terrible.  The recoil was really pretty mild.  I was shooting some 180 grain flat point reloads from Freedom Munitions.  I'm going to give it some more time and some different ammo, but so far, I'm not really digging it.  :(

So I finally got around to shooting this Glock 29SF.  I only put one box through it.  There were no issues thus far with reliability, but I am going to need more practice with it.  I can't hit #### with it.  I have a 12 inch plate that I had at about 20 yards.  That is typically no problem with my other handguns (actually can double tap on it with my 9mm that I carry), but I couldn't find the plate with this thing.  I stepped up to an actually paper target at about 7 yards and was making about a 5 inch group.  I think that is pretty terrible.  The recoil was really pretty mild.  I was shooting some 180 grain flat point reloads from Freedom Munitions.  I'm going to give it some more time and some different ammo, but so far, I'm not really digging it.  :(

You know some folks don't have much luck shooting Glocks. I had a couple and never really shot well with either. Something about the geometry doesn't suit me.

The recoil was really pretty mild.  I was shooting some 180 grain flat point reloads from Freedom Munitions. 

I must be wimp, or you are manly.  I found the 10mm to have a stiff recoil, and I have a 20 large frame too.  I would think the 29 would be even more.  I should mention that I reloaded mine to original specs of 10mm. 

• Like 1

Don't be discouraged having problems shooting a Glock, its the trigger and the grip angle combination. What your going to have to do is teach yourself how to shoot with a Glock which is doable. Move in to the five yard range and shoot then work your way back to the fifteen yard range. Pay attention to each shots placement until you get well centered groups then speed things up. What your probably going to find is you'll use a different finger pad placement and trigger stroke.  

• Like 2
Yep. Shot a buddy's G21 last week. Took me a couple mags to find the break, then one more mag to realize how important follow through is with the stupid thing. It can be done, but it ain't a single action... that's for sure!

As for the ammo, I've found the Freedom reloads to be excellent in my Witnesses, but those were the 180gr XTPs.

If you can find it, I just went through a couple boxes of the Sig 180gr FMJ and really liked it. Best so far has been my AA7 hand loads, but that doesn't help you now.

PMC bronze was fine as well, but just 40+p.

Thanks musicman, I'll look into some of those options.

Try a couple different rounds before you make up your mind. I bought a box of different double tap, buffalo bore and underwood just to see what it liked to eat and what abuse I was willing to take. If you decide you don't want to keep it let me know, my dad has been eyeing my 29 and I don't know how much longer I can fend him off.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I consider the 10 mm and especially the Glock 29 to be one of the most underrated personal defense caliber/weapon combinations on the market.  The   only reason I don't carry it is the case of Harold Fish.  Google it if you have not heard of him.  Briefly--retired school teacher attacked by a deranged man.  Shot him with a 10 mm he was carrying for Bear defense in Arizona.  Convicted because the jury felt that anyone carrying such a "big extreme caliber" was "obviously trying to kill someone, not just defend themselves".  Spent 3 years in prison.  Many years and many hundreds of thousands (millions?) of  dollars later he is a free man, with his record expunged and an apology.  Lost everything and 10 years of his life.  Moral of the story in my mind--Carry what at least some of the local law enforcement agencies carry and you cant be convicted like Harold Fish.  .40 for me.  I am not suggesting that anyone else should think this way, just telling why I think this way.  Just my opinion, I am new here, please don't bash me.  Defending yourself is only the first part, you also have to defend yourself in court.

Yeah, it will not be a primary carry gun for me, but at times, I am places where a four legged threat is much more likely than the two legged variety.  Once I get used to it, I will likely open carry it while fishing or hiking.  My primary carry gun is a Ruger sr9c.  More compact with the same capacity. Granted, it's not quite the fire power of a 10mm, but I feel more proficient with it.