Now is the time to "buy it cheap and stack it deep"!

Not to be argumentative but I think the "Time to stack it deep" for MOST of us here was many years ago.  Most of the members on this board have ZERO excuse for 'not having'.  Even the financial constraints aren't a decent excuse.  It's been screamed off the roof tops since I graduated in '95 and EVERYBODY can afford one box of .22's on payday.  If a person has been buying a little along, they should have a good pile now.

I feel sorry for the younger shooters out there, getting started now???  What nightmare.  I still have a box or two of Malaysian 9mm ammo I bought at Knob Creek.  It was $3 per (50) and I thought that was only fair market at the time.  My, how things have changed.  

I do agree wholeheartedly with you though, "Ya'll don't come crying.  Most of us don't wanna hear it."  

• Like 3

Not to be argumentative but I think the "Time to stack it deep" for MOST of us here was many years ago.  Most of the members on this board have ZERO excuse for 'not having'.  Even the financial constraints aren't a decent excuse.  It's been screamed off the roof tops since I graduated in '95 and EVERYBODY can afford one box of .22's on payday.  If a person has been buying a little along, they should have a good pile now.

I feel sorry for the younger shooters out there, getting started now???  What nightmare.  I still have a box or two of Malaysian 9mm ammo I bought at Knob Creek.  It was $3 per (50) and I thought that was only fair market at the time.  My, how things have changed.  

I do agree wholeheartedly with you though, "Ya'll don't come crying.  Most of us don't wanna hear it."  

You and I are already prepared. This was a message to those among us who aren't. There'll be no more dime a round ammo.

I still have 1000 Norinco 7.62x39 I bought in an ammo can for the princely sum of $100. They shoot great out of my $59 SKS. No longer imported at any price.

I expect that soon we'll be reminiscing and what if-ing about today's prices and availability.

Edited by gregintenn

Funny that you posted this, I just order over the weekend 1,000 rounds of Federal from the same source.  Didn't need it, but I was really thinking now is the time to buy as well.  I am still flushed with other ammo, and I have large quantities of reloading supplies too.  I think I am shifting more away from hard assets to expendable assets.  Reading survival books in a what if SHTF event is starting to shift my thinking.

Edited by Runco
  • Like 1

I bought another Mosin 91/30 last week....  In another 10 years, I'll  be saying "remember back when Mosins were only $179?"   I wish I had gotten into the shooting hobby about 15 years sooner than I did....    still looking to get an M1 Garand before they get even more pricey

• Like 1

A buddy and I were buying 762x25 1000 round spam cans for $84.00 about 5 years ago and we are both well stocked itn that now and have a very good supply of long gun ammo for all long guns and the only hand guns I have that i am shooting is my 22's and 380's but have a very good supply and replace what we shoot most every time we go to the range. And yea. I do have a Tokarev TT-33 but seldom shoot the cannon. My buddy shoots his about once a month he will send 2 mags worth down range. I shot mine about 2 months ago. Just not a gun I can enjoy shooting but wanted it if things got really serious and I need some short range real fire power.............. :up:

Edited by bersaguy
Not so long ago I was ordering 7.62x54r for about $100 a case shipped to the house. Now you can't find a spam can for that. Haven't looked in a few months.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is still the best deal I can find on Federal 5.56mm XM193 ball.  http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ammunition/rifle-ammunition/223-5-56/federal-5-56-55gr-fmj-bt-90rds-strclp.html

This is .33 per round. Palmetto also has some Federal 50 grain varmint loads for less than .30 per round, excluding shipping.

I followed your link and also found this for slightly less. Is the XM193 a better round?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/4550/

I will tell you the Federal 50g varmint is one of the most accurate loads I have ever shot and its VERY consistent .... Do some research and you will find MANY reporting the same .... Its like super cheap match ammo .... May not be the best round for self defense but its great for shooting groups

I will tell you the Federal 50g varmint is one of the most accurate loads I have ever shot and its VERY consistent .... Do some research and you will find MANY reporting the same .... Its like super cheap match ammo .... May not be the best round for self defense but its great for shooting groups

Good to know. I bought 500 rounds.

How well does the 50 grain bullet perform in a barrel with a 1:7" rate of twist?

Erik88, that would take a dozen pages to answer, but I gravitate to the Federal XM193 load because it is low cost and performs as well as the military's M193 load in my guns, which makes it ideal for practice and for the stash. IMHO.

Edited by EssOne