Good pics of Pluto this Wednesday.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't say that would actually happen. We know how everyone feels about helping the truly poor.

Helping the Truly poor is a good thing but long before the Federal government decided to waste billions on aid the truly poor were getting help from private groups.  The fact is all the Government did with it war on the poor has managed to do is create more poor people who don't respect anything or anyone and just expect a handout.  If we really want to help the poor we need to start to cut Government programs and force people to actual work.  

Thanks

Robert

$700,000,000 spent on pictures. I wonder how many folks in the US that would have lifted out of poverty, fed, sheltered, etc?

Well if it makes you feel better the money stayed on Earth.  If you could figure out the exact off the shelf value of only the parts(not label and research on how to make it) that are flying I would be maybe 2 million?  So the rest of that money is in people's pockets.  Sure you and I paid for it out of our taxes.

Well if it makes you feel better the money stayed on Earth.  If you could figure out the exact off the shelf value of only the parts(not label and research on how to make it) that are flying I would be maybe 2 million?  So the rest of that money is in people's pockets.  Sure you and I paid for it out of our taxes.

Actually, whatever the figure is, almost half of it was borrowed.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2
  • Authorized Vendor

The Mercury, Gemini and Apollo programs cost about $25 billion, and that was in 1960's dollars.  For all that money, and a decade of work, we got a few hundred pounds of moon rocks and dust.  However, as a direct result of the research and development done to allow those journeys, we transformed the modern world in ways never imagined, to include GPS, improved satellite and land-based communications and many new materials which are in daily use today, not to mention the revolution in computing power and electronics caused by the need to miniaturize electronic instrumentation and computers on board the ships.  The total value of the spin-off technologies of our earlier endeavors in space is likely in the tens, if not hundreds of trillions of dollars, a pretty good ROI in anyone's estimation ...

Don't forget.....we got Tang out of the deal too.  :up:

• Like 1

Tang is a fruit-flavored drink. Originally formulated by General Foods Corporation food scientist William A. Mitchell in 1957, it was first marketed in powdered form in 1959.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tang_%28drink%29

Sales of Tang were poor until NASA used it on John Glenn's Mercury flight,[3] and subsequent Gemini missions. Since then, it was closely associated with the U.S. manned spaceflight program, leading to the misconception that Tang was invented for the space program.

Sorry to ruin anyone's childhood on tang.