Which is the stronger and more durable pistol ?

tercel89

I have both a Rock Island Armory 1911 in .45ACP and a Ruger P94 in 9mm.

I am trying to decide which is the more durable and stronger all the way around for just regular plinking and home defense and so on . I am going to give one of these to my son for his 18th birthday. He has shot them both and likes these two better than others he has shot.

i just want him to have the better of the two.

The only cons I can think of is that the Ruger is no longer made and parts are hard to find.

The only cons of the 1911 is that it cost a little more to shoot than the Ruger.

I hate making one of these posts but once soething gets in my head it's hard to get it out until I make a decision :rant:

What are your thoughts on the negatives and positives of each ?

I know they are both "cheap" pistols but hey , he has to start out somewhere.

Edited by tercel89

Only more thing you can buy 1911 parts EVERYWHERE. you can find th at gun shows, gun shops and all over the place online. Matter of fact you can buy every single part for a 1911, except the receiver, on eBay.

Yeah that is for sure the very positive of the 1911 VS the P94 .

I'm in agreement on letting him decide which of the two he would like to have and making it clear to him its a forever gun. After that start brown bagging your meals and save the extra money. In a few months you'll have enough to buy a replacment gun.

I don't have a P94 but I do have a P95 and I think they are pretty similar, right?.  In fact, I own two P95s and that is the only make/model of gun of which I own two (they are a little different - one is newer, has a short 'rail' for a light under the muzzle and has a safety decocker while the other is a little older, is decocker only and has no rail.).  I also recently bought my first 1911.  1911s are fun but myself, - for a defensive pistol - if I had to choose I'd take one of the P95s over a 1911 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  I just don't believe there is that much difference on the receiving end between modern tech 9mm JHPs and .45acp JHPs.  I am largely a 'revolver guy' so from my perspective one of the main things a semi has going for it is higher capacity - which with a 1911 really isn't that much higher than one of my six shooters.  The 15+1 in the P95 (and, unless I am mistaken, the 9mm version of the P94) is significantly higher.  Further, I personally prefer DA/SA over 'cocked and locked'.  Of course, I have also owned the P95s longer and am more familiar with them.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

I don't have a P94 but I do have a P95 and I think they are pretty similar, right?.  In fact, I own two P95s and that is the only make/model of gun of which I own two (they are a little different - one is newer, has a short 'rail' for a light under the muzzle and has a safety decocker while the other is a little older, is decocker only and has no rail.).  I also recently bought my first 1911.  1911s are fun but myself, - for a defensive pistol - if I had to choose I'd take one of the P95s over a 1911 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  I just don't believe there is that much difference on the receiving end between modern tech 9mm JHPs and .45acp JHPs.  I am largely a 'revolver guy' so from my perspective one of the main things a semi has going for it is higher capacity - which with a 1911 really isn't that much higher than one of my six shooters.  The 15+1 in the P95 (and, unless I am mistaken, the 9mm version of the P94) is significantly higher.  Further, I personally prefer DA/SA over 'cocked and locked'.  Of course, I have also owned the P95s longer and am more familiar with them.

I'm leaning more towards the P94 . Shooting even "hot" 9mm loads through this thing is like shooting 9mm "bunny farts" . It's smooth as butter and recoil is hardly there. It may be fat and thick but it's a workhorse.

I too have the P95 . The P94 is the P95 but with an aluminum frame.

• 2 weeks later...
I like the Ruger to give your son. I am not a 1911 guy. (I have a few) My wife carries a revolver, but if she had to fire MY gun for some reason, I think it would be easier for her to fire DA/SA with the Ruger vs the 1911. For that reason, I carry the Ruger with me on trips, etc. If her gun goes down, and I am unable to fire, she can easily fire mine.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk