Remaining Govt Inventory of 1911's to be Sold to the Public?

Only the ten days, not counting Sundays. Bill passed on 7th, but there is always some length of time after that before it officially "hits his desk", never have understood exact time for that.

At any rate, if he's gonna veto it, dunno why he wouldn't just do it immediately rather than prolong a cliffhanger, though. "No Drama Obama" indeed.

I believe he can attach a missive to it in explanation when he sends it back, maybe taking him a while for his staff to write it to his satisfaction, who knows.

- OS

The bill was actually sent to the President earlier today (or yesterday since this post is after midnight) on the 20th.  The 7th was when the Senate approved the exact version the House did after the conference to hammer out the differences.   The presiding officers of each chamber had to certify the bill, then the House clerk  physically delivered the certified bill to the West Wing before the 10 day clock can start, bringing up that delay you mention. Here's a great link to understand the details behind the process.

The main cause for delay between the 7th and the 20th was as it usually is, a Congressional recess.  The other reason is grandstanding.  Republicans lined up to make press statements at a ceremony for the final certification (formally called enrollment), and wanted to make sure this wasn't in any other news cycle, hence the timing since nothing else big is going on this week.

After all the posturing, I may piss myself laughing if this ends up being eligible for a pocket veto.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 1

Well, I gotta admit I give BHO a bit more credence on this one that most of his decisions. Not that it ain't political to a certain extent, but to be fair, would a Republican president allow such an end run around the confines of sequestration for funding some part of government favored by liberals?  I doan thin so, Lucy.

The fact that it's the military is of course somewhat galling considering BHO's long onslaught of same, but then again, the Budget Control Act of 2011 had overwhelming GOP support in the House, so it's not like the military having to live within the same proportional constraints is suddenly some big surprise or anything.

- OS

• Like 2

Well, Republicans called his bluff, and found out he wasn't bluffing.  The funding for the defense department is good until early December along with the rest of the government, thanks to the continuing resolution passed a few weeks ago, so that gave him a lot of cover to do this and not have it become an operational impact across the force.  The only thing impacted are contracts that are on hold from being finalized until the money authorized to pay them.  Most, if not all of the current contracts should be covered under the CR.  I know mine was when I was working under a DoD or Army contract.

I'm thinking the White House really wants this settled on their terms outright, or they might use it as leverage when the talks on a new budget take place soon.  They give Republicans the money here in exchange for money somewhere else...that kind of deal.  After all these years, the President knows he can't go into the debt ceiling talks, and a budget negotiation after caving on this without getting something in return first.

The 1911 transfer to CMP is just caught up in the bigger fight.  But since it's not a money issue, it's more than likely to stay in the final bill no matter what deal is made, which it has to sometime.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 1

They will try to override his veto Nov. 5th.  A snowball in hell, has a better chance.  Then they will go back to the drawing board.  The two reasons given this evening were, 1 the sequestration end-a-round and 2 no funding for closing Gitmo.  I suspect there was no weeping over the CMP not getting a hold of 10,000 1911a1 at the WH, though.

I suspect there was no weeping over the CMP not getting a hold of 10,000 1911a1 at the WH, though.

The 1911 transfer isn't even a consideration in this bill for the White House.  This fight is over sequestration, and the Democrats are going to fight to make sure domestic spending gets a lift alongside defense.

I was not surprised at all obama vetoed the bill playing games with our brave men and women in uniform.

If anyone is playing games with the defense budget, it's all the members of Congress (Democrat & Republican) who use it to send money to their districts (or state for Senators) in general for things DoD doesn't want.  It could be caped at $450 billion, with the force lean, mean, trained, and ready to roll if it wasn't for all the parochial interests cocking it up.

• Like 2

The 1911 transfer isn't even a consideration in this bill for the White House. This fight is over sequestration, and the Democrats are going to fight to make sure domestic spending gets a lift alongside defense.

If anyone is playing games with the defense budget, it's all the members of Congress (Democrat & Republican) who use it to send money to their districts (or state for Senators) in general for things DoD doesn't want. It could be caped at $450 billion, with the force lean, mean, trained, and ready to roll if it wasn't for all the parochial interests cocking it up.

I think I said that. It was 1, followed by 2 which was no funding to close Gitmo. Obama said as much. ;)

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Edited by Moped

I think I said that. It was 1, followed by 2 which was no funding to close Gitmo. Obama said as much. ;)

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

It was your "no weeping" comment...the 1911 issue isn't even on the agenda for this at the WH.  If it was, they would have anti-gun surrogates like the Brady Campaign, or Everytown making noise about it on social media and in the press.

• 2 weeks later...

I sure wish this would come to fruition. I need a 1911 for my milsurp collection!!!

It's hard to know how the new two year budget deal and the upcoming omnibus bill as to allocation of the funds will affect this.

Supposedly no "poison pill" riders will be allowed. The biggest one always mentioned is defunding Planned Parenthood, dunno if something as small as the 1911 distribution would be considered that or not.

Meaning, it's unclear to me if NDAA still has to be specifically renewed as a separate issue under these new provisions or not?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

It's hard to know how the new two year budget deal and the upcoming omnibus bill as to allocation of the funds will affect this.

Supposedly no "poison pill" riders will be allowed. The biggest one always mentioned is defunding Planned Parenthood, dunno if something as small as the 1911 distribution would be considered that or not.

Meaning, it's unclear to me if NDAA still has to be specifically renewed as a separate issue under these new provisions or not?

- OS

The NDAA will be "re-done" to fall in line with the approved budget numbers.  By re-done, I mean they will just change the figures allocated by line item.  They aren't going to have to re-write it, or go through the legislative process all over again unless they want to. 

I think the CMP part will survive, but there is some, I'll call it vague, language in the bill that makes me wonder how smooth this will go:

Subject to paragraph (2), the Secretary may transfer to the corporation, in accordance with the procedure prescribed in this subchapter, surplus caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 pistols and spare parts and related accessories for those pistols that, on the date of the enactment of this subsection, are under the control of the Secretary and are surplus to the requirements of the Department of the Army, and such material as may be recovered by the Secretary pursuant to section 40728A(a) of this title. The Secretary shall determine a reasonable schedule for the transfer of such surplus pistols.

Reading that and the rest real quick, I don't see who is supposed to pay for all of this.  If I'm the Army, dealing with budget issues, I'm not going out of my way to make this transfer happen unless CMP is covering all the costs.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 1

Here is the exact quote from the CMP Sales Update November 13, 2015:

An update on the 1911 pistols. The revised NDAA has passed the House and Senate. It is on its way to the President's desk for signature. We have no further information at this time.

Thank you for your support,     
Mark Johnson
Chief Operating Officer

CMP sent around an email this morning stating the language was in the revised bill that passed the House and Senate, just needs El Presidente's signature.

White House has announced that he will sign it, even though it nukes his Gitmo closing authority. But of course, he still has a phone and a pen and the hints are strong he will use them on the matter.

- OS