Best selection of 20 gauge home defense shotguns in middle TN?

Joe86

I shopping for a new 20 gauge shotgun for home defense. It's going to be a Remington or a Mossberg. I'm looking for a dealer in, or near Nashville that has the largest selection of these shotguns in stock.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Dumb question, but if you've already narrowed to a 20g Rem or Mossy, do you need a huge selection? Or will a basic 500 or 870 not cut it?

I just got an 870 Express in 12g at Academy today. I also have a 500 special purpose (8rd capacity) and have had a Maverick 88. Just fyi, Remington has a $25 MIR going on through the end of the year, if that helps tip the scales for you. ;-)

Call me crazy, but I like the idea of the shortest barrel I can get and even a youth stocked 20g for an HD gun. I entertained the idea of going that route, but I already have so much 12g ammo, and will primarily be using this gun for dove hunts this weekend and next.

Just some thoughts. Sadly, you generally will not find as broad of a selection of 20g configurations as you would for 12g. Whatever you decide, have fun!
  • Like 1

Ammo selection is a bigger problem than gun selection for the "social" 20 gauge. There really just isn't a whole lot of defensive ammo options in 20... And none of what's available is anything to write home about.

If you're really set on a shotgun for defensive purposes (IMHO rifles are way, way better for this sort of thing, but that's a whole other thread), I'd strongly recommend the 12 gauge. There's a ton more good ammo choices, many of which are reduced-recoil stuff that's as easy on the shooter as a 20.

Edited by dcloudy777
  • Like 1

For what it's worth... There are (...i think...) two sizes of recievers for Rem 870's... Small and large... They evidently quit makin the "small" years ago and use what is basically a 12 gage frame on the 20 gage now...   I've been casually lookin for a small frame for quite some time and aint found one...  Havin said all that, there is basically no big difference in weight and handling between a twelve and a twenty gage, unless the barrels are a bit lighter...

leroy

If your SHOPPING I would go to Franklin Gun Shop. They have (hands down) more guns to look at than anyone else.
Look at it, feel it. Make sure it's what you really want.

...then find someone who won't butt rape you.
Someone like Guns & Leather, Everything Weapons or one of our other fine sponsors here and have them order it for you. This takes the guess work out of it and buyers remorse. It also saves you some money, headaches and supports those who support us. Edited by Caster
  • Like 2

I've got one of these, 20 ga. mossberg camper.  It's fine for up close but I prefer something with a butt stock so it wound up as my truck gun. For the house, I've got a Winchester Defender in 12 gauge

[url=http://postimage.org/]camper.jpg[/url]
[url=http://postimage.org/]image ru[/url]
  • Like 1

I have the Mossberg 500 20 ga. field model, and frankly I've been a bit disappointed that it jams up sometimes. I've missed a few 2nd shot on clay-targets b/c the round got jammed up. Always used commercial ammunition, no reloads. Could easily be operator-error, or in need of a cleaning or something, but I will admit I've been slightly less-pleased w/ the unit and will probably try a different manufacturer with my next one.

- K