Glock 19 or full size M&P9

leprechaun

Hey all,

As some of you may know ill be moving to Tennessee at Christmas and will be looking to buy a first pistol that i can use for home defense, at the range and eventually carry. I have narrowed it down to these two. I have shot the M&P before and really like it, never fired a Glock. 

Any of you have both of these pistols? Which do you prefer and why?

My preference is usually M&P platform. Given the two options you presented, I would choose the 19 because it is a little smaller and better suited for carry on that basis but large enough for range use. IMO I would go full size M&P which can do both, and the M&P shield as primary carry.

I have never own Glock and wouldn’t, but I have shot many of them. I have owned several M&P’s and right now have the Full-size 40, Compact 40, Shield 40, 15T and 15-22.

As a Toolmaker I look at fit and finish as well as accuracy. The fit and finish of M&P is better than a Glock, with different palm swells it covers a wider range of hands, grip angle is better for most. Accuracy? They are close enough that once you go there it is going be the shooter, not the firearm that makes that determination. Should you need to use it, Smith & Wesson customer support is second to none in the industry, and you get a lifetime service warranty.

It’s just icing on the cake the M&P 9/40 is completely made in America by Americans. patriot.gif

What’s not to like? biggrin.gif

"Should you need to use it, Smith & Wesson customer support is second to none in the industry, and you get a lifetime service warranty."

I agree.  During the past four years, I purchased four brand new S&W Revolvers.  Three were defective out of the box.  They should have never left the factory.  All three were repaired and returned within fifteen days.

During the same period, I purchased two Glock and four CZ pistols.  As I have never needed warranty service, I have no idea how good Glock or CZ customer support really is.

Quite frankly, I don't care where they are made.  I just want them to work out of the box.

You should really borrow or rent both. The 19 gets praise for its perfect size and you cannot discount the aftermarket following of everything imaginable available for Glocks. The M&P does appear to have refined ergonomics over the Glocks according to most.

Of these two choices, they both should be for rent at any decent gun range/store. Rent them both and see which you like best.

I've seen more than one person prefer the M&P while holding one, but then give the preference to the glock after shooting them.

You will be well served by either.

The full size m&p is a tad on the large size for carry - but odds are, you'll have more than one by the time you get to carrying anyways :up: 

I am an S & W fanatic, so obviously I would choose the M & P.  I have shot both and liked it better.   I was more accurate with it and I don't particularly like the trigger on a Glock.   Plus, I think a Glock is about as aesthetically pleasing as a gun made out of Lego blocks.  However, you should try them both out before you make your decision.  Both are reliable and would serve you well.  Also, i would encourage you to keep your options open.  Try out other makes and models before you make a final decision.  There are a lot of quality firearms out there.  You might be surprised at what you might find that you like even better than either of those two.  

I have both and enjoy shooting both.  From the factory, I prefer M&P ergonomics better but I prefer the Glock trigger.  Having said that, I rarely keep things stock, so I installed an Apex kit on the M&P and ghost connector/titanium plunger/polish job on the Glock.  I also modified the Glock frame to my liking by heating and molding the "hump" and sanding/stippling all over. 

They are both great guns and you really need to rent and shoot both of them. 

What part of TN are you moving to?...If it's middle TN, give me a shout and you can shoot both on my dime.  That said, I prefer the G19.

Yep. I can let you shoot a Glock, SR-9 and line up some other tactical tupperwear at either a local outdoor range or indoor range. Pretty much any other member of this forum will do the same. 

• Like 2
  • Administrator

I have both.  This is really sort of a Chevrolet vs. Ford decision.  Which do you prefer, which feels better in your hand, which do you shoot better, etc. questions.

The Glock 19 is *just* smaller in a few areas and has a more tactile trigger reset that some people prefer.  The M&P has superior ergonomics and the "feel" of the trigger varies wildly out of the box.  Some are good, some are horrible.  I've yet to have one that was GREAT, and I have several.

How about the H&K VP9?  Now there is a pistol for you.  I prefer mine over both my Glock 19 and my M&P 9mm.

Let me know when you get to Nashville. I'd love to show you what a tuned up Glock can do. I have both a 17 and a 19. I used to own a M&P. They are both very good guns.

I like to customize my guns for a specific purpose such as carry and I could only do what I wanted to do with the Glock so that is what I ended up with. I am very happy with the Glock 19 and soon I'll have my wife carrying one. I guess that's about as good of an endorsement as I can give. I trust it enough to let my wife bet her life and my son's on it.

OK leprechaun... I guess you have noticed by now. When you ask a "best gun" question on TGO, you will get every possible answer in return. Then, you will have multiple folks agreeing with the most popular of all possible answers.

So, you can either tally up the votes, go shoot them yourself and choose, or both. Don't be surprised if your early choice changes as time goes on. I have owned BOTH of your choices. I still only bought one gun, then traded around. That's the great thing about TGO. 

• Like 1