Besides, Ruger and S&W revolvers

FortKnox

OK, besides, Ruger and S&W revolvers, what other company would you buy when it comes to BRAND NEW revolvers?

For me it would be Rock Island/Armscor. I don't have much experience with them but, you don't have the hit and miss reviews like you do with Taurus and Charter Arms.

Also, you can get a good revolver for under $200 if you pick them and a 6 shot snubnose when Ruger and S&W only have 5. Edited by FortKnox
The worst aspect of the Rock Island revolvers is the weight, but I myself have been tempted to drop $200 on one.

The Rhinos are in a completely different category, but are a very desirable piece. I hear a lot more towards the good than the bad on the newer Charter Arms.

OK, besides, Ruger and S&W revolvers, what other company would you buy when it comes to BRAND NEW revolvers?

For a primary carry; none.
If I didn't have the money for a S&W or a Ruger it would be Charter Arms. I haven't seen or held a $200 Rock Island revolver but I'm guessing its not near on par with a S&W or a Ruger.
If you are looking at J frame sizes, that means its a belly gun, not a range gun. Your life may depend on it; go with the proven performers.
  • Like 2

Charter Arms older guns were well made. I have one from the early 70's and it's my EDC. They changed hands in the 80's and the product went down hill. I understand they have since been bought out again and the QC has improved. All reports are that they are now making a good gun again. I have untold number of rounds down range from mine and still works greats. Trigger is a little heavy compared to a S&W but I really like mine. My  :2cents: .

For a primary carry; none.
If I didn't have the money for a S&W or a Ruger it would be Charter Arms. I haven't seen or held a $200 Rock Island revolver but I'm guessing its not near on par with a S&W or a Ruger.
If you are looking at J frame sizes, that means its a belly gun, not a range gun. Your life may depend on it; go with the proven performers.

x1000

Some things aren't worth cheaping out on. A carry gun ain't one, imho.

Smith makes 6 shot snubbies. I have a 2" model 64. Thing is awesome! ... just realized, I don't know if that's still a production model for them. Edited by musicman

For me it would be Rock Island/Armscor. I don't have much experience with them but, you don't have the hit and miss reviews like you do with Taurus and Charter Arms.

Also, you can get a good revolver for under $200 if you pick them and a 6 shot snubnose when Ruger and S&W only have 5.

I like the RI/Armscor revolvers they are in many ways patterned off of  a cross between the Colt Police Positive and New Service revolvers. Insofar as fit and finish the come across as a little rough but lock up, end shake and timing are good. Yes they are a bit larger than a Charter Arms Undercover or Taurus five shot but they are also. All steel, six rounds and have visible i.e., usable fixed sights.

I have yet to run across one of the RIA revolvers. I'd like to get one in my hands to examine. From what I've heard, they got good reviews at the beginning, but now there are reports that they aren't holding up well to a lot of use. Mostly timing issues and wear on the internals. But hey, its the internet. Use your own judgement as to what that's worth.

Charter Arms makes a decent gun for the money. They're ok for self defense and occasional range use, but I wouldn't put a lot of rounds through one on a regular basis. The older guns are best, the newest aren't bad. Its the middle group that had problems. Definitely avoid any marked Charco.

I don't know why Taurus gets such a bad rap. They actually make a very good gun. I know several Tauri owners who just love them and I've been keeping my eyes open for a nice used one for myself. 

I have yet to run across one of the RIA revolvers. I'd like to get one in my hands to examine. From what I've heard, they got good reviews at the beginning, but now there are reports that they aren't holding up well to a lot of use. Mostly timing issues and wear on the internals. But hey, its the internet. Use your own judgement as to what that's worth.

Charter Arms makes a decent gun for the money. They're ok for self defense and occasional range use, but I wouldn't put a lot of rounds through one on a regular basis. The older guns are best, the newest aren't bad. Its the middle group that had problems. Definitely avoid any marked Charco.

I don't know why Taurus gets such a bad rap. They actually make a very good gun. I know several Tauri owners who just love them and I've been keeping my eyes open for a nice used one for myself. 

I'm aware of some of the reports concerning the RIA wheel guns...differing lots number of firearms from others sometimes have like problems.

Charter does make a good revolver, they always have, they just don't generally have the service life of a S&W, Ruger or Colt. I had an early model Undercover that my nephew made off with *grin* that has never given any problems.

Taurus has a lot of firearms experience and grown into a global arms company so quickly they can't produce enough volume. Couple that with a host of new and newer models and QC suffers. I've seen a lot, repeat lot of their 38 special revolvers have issues out of the box. But I've seen far more that were problem free, so it comes to buying one and knowing it'll probably be ok but while being secretly worried. I would love to do QC work with Taurus because I like their ability to embrace risk.

I have one of the RI .38 revolvers that I bought for a 'don't care if it gets banged up' truck/camping/fishing gun.  I've shot several boxes of ammo through it, and haven't had any problems.  It may not be the prettiest gun, but it shoots just fine.

I know for a fact that the gun store down the street from me, TN Gun Country, don't carry Taurus revolvers anymore because, over the course of a few months there would be problems with them.

Like the cylinder would fall off right out, it wouldn't close right, all right out the box and then they would have to pay to send them back. It became to much of a hassle so they quit carrying there revolvers but, they still carry the semiautomatics. Edited by FortKnox

There are only two companies worth buying from these days and that is S&W & Ruger.  I wouldn't buy a Taurus with your money and would only buy a new Charter if I couldn't find a used S&W or Ruger.  I suppose if Granny needed a revolver I would spring for a Rock Island cause they work and they are cheap, but would look for used a S&W or Ruger.

There are only two companies worth buying from these days and that is S&W & Ruger.  I wouldn't buy a Taurus with your money and would only buy a new Charter if I couldn't find a used S&W or Ruger.  I suppose if Granny needed a revolver I would spring for a Rock Island cause they work and they are cheap, but would look for used a S&W or Ruger.

Well...that's pretty plainly stated. lol

But also pretty much the truth.

I like Ruger wheel guns really well and of course S&W kinda sets the bar in most regards, but that in mind one of the RIA snubbies could make it's way home with me one day I guess. I have only heard great things about their 1911s and very little about their revolvers. If they have a decent finish and internals I don't really see how you could go wrong. 

I like Ruger wheel guns really well and of course S&W kinda sets the bar in most regards, but that in mind one of the RIA snubbies could make it's way home with me one day I guess. I have only heard great things about their 1911s and very little about their revolvers. If they have a decent finish and internals I don't really see how you could go wrong.

I may be wrong but I think they are parkerized