Sword Canes?

On another board I visit there's a discussion going in regard to using a walking cane as a defensive weapon. Of course somebody had to bring up sword canes. I always thought those were illegal in Tennessee, but then realized that I've never heard for absolute certain or seen it in print anywhere. So how 'bout it? Legal or not? 

No, not planning on getting one. It just aroused my curiosity.  

I Would rather just have a fighting cane than fool with that.   The sword canes in general are low quality weapons, slow to draw, with an awkward handle for swordplay.  Even if you get one with a better blade, it will still suffer the handle/draw problem.    If talking a healthy person carrying it as a disguised weapon, fighting stick upside the head is going to do as well.    If talking actually handicapped, a sword might win out for someone  too weak to get a good swing with the cane if you honed it razor sharp.  In that case, I would prefer it to be a half sword, rather than a full length one, as a weaker person might not do well with a full sized blade. 

• Like 1

I Would rather just have a fighting cane than fool with that.   The sword canes in general are low quality weapons, slow to draw, with an awkward handle for swordplay.  Even if you get one with a better blade, it will still suffer the handle/draw problem.    If talking a healthy person carrying it as a disguised weapon, fighting stick upside the head is going to do as well.    If talking actually handicapped, a sword might win out for someone  too weak to get a good swing with the cane if you honed it razor sharp.  In that case, I would prefer it to be a half sword, rather than a full length one, as a weaker person might not do well with a full sized blade. 

Good comments. As much as I might like a sword cane as a novelty; I agree with you. A good hardwood cane or walking stick can be a great weapon.

I got one of the canes a member here was selling last year. It's good, heavy and easily swung. I think it might just do a little damage to and arm or upside the head.

Of course, I bought it just for self protection from roaming dogs as I walk.

I Would rather just have a fighting cane than fool with that. The sword canes in general are low quality weapons, slow to draw, with an awkward handle for swordplay.

Tell that to this guy:

d65c0c249505e214564ff0fbad7e20bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not trying to be argumentative but....Is it not still a violation of the law against "going about with the intent to be armed" if you carry a baton, club, etc without a certification of training.?  If so, wouldn't carrying a cane if not needed for mobility be a violation?   

Not trying to be argumentative but....Is it not still a violation of the law against "going about with the intent to be armed" if you carry a baton, club, etc without a certification of training.?  If so, wouldn't carrying a cane if not needed for mobility be a violation?

A cane; no. A cane that is a sword; yes. But it’s not an issue of needing a cane or certification and training. It’s an issue of “intent to go armed”, and the definition of a club (any instrument that is specially designed, made or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument).

It's my understanding that, in Tennessee,  any edged tool is not a weapon unless it's used as such.  A sword, concealed or not, is just a long edged tool until it's used as a weapon.  I use a machete to clear brush and carry one on my tractor - what's the difference between a machete and a sword?

Kinda like clawhammers, innocent until used as a weapon.   Batons are different in that they're specifically covered by a state law that requires certification to carry.

Pls correct me if I'm wrong. 

I cant see this law being used to arrest someone who is going about their business not bothering anyone, not appearing to be threatening to anyone, etc.   It has the look of one of those "throw the book at him" laws where they stick this along with 23 other similar charges against someone who was ... being a thug.   If dressed decently, a cane can even be a fashion item.   Proof of not needing it is difficult, all you gotta do is claim a bad back or knee or whatever.  

Its a world full of AKs and ARs and glocks.   Its going to be hard to convince a jury that you were out to blow up the town that is filled with armed cops, armed people like us,  big strong people that will just tackle you, etc with your stick if you were not hitting anyone with it in the first place.

Even if it has a sword.  Ask any airport --- they get a few of these things DAILY where some doober bought a cane at a yard sale with a sword in it and they "didn't know".   A % of them probably really didn't know it was in there, and a % are lying.   Regardless, its every day... you can buy them when the airports do those selloffs of items they "collected".

Edited by Jonnin

It's my understanding that, in Tennessee,  any edged tool is not a weapon unless it's used as such.  A sword, concealed or not, is just a long edged tool until it's used as a weapon.  I use a machete to clear brush and carry one on my tractor - what's the difference between a machete and a sword?

Kinda like clawhammers, innocent until used as a weapon.   Batons are different in that they're specifically covered by a state law that requires certification to carry.

Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

39-17-1301. Part definitions
(2) "Club" means any instrument that is specially designed, made or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument;

That definition matches perfectly a sword made into a cane.
As always, whether or not you are arrested will depend on how and where the “weapon” became an issue, and what the Officer wants to do. Then it’s up to the DA if charges are filed or not.

As of July 1st last year I believe there is no such thing as a blade restriction, of and kind, in TN any more.

More experienced members will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure. :-)

True, as far as the general public. There's still the school property restriction. And don't use a switchblade in a crime, use a Bowie instead. ;)

There is still the catchall of "Any other implement for infliction of serious bodily injury or death that has no common lawful purpose" in 39-17-1302 though.

I suppose if arrested for a sword, the defense would revolve around whether self defense is a common lawful purpose for an object that is not specifically otherwise prohibited

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot