Smoked sausage and other things to do with deer.

Just checked out the LEM website lots of products at good prices I'm going to order some casings from them before I do another batch.  Looks like buying in bulk is the was to go on casings.  100 of them will probably last me 2-3 years but they are much cheaper that way.

Do you have to use that Mortons Tender Quick or can you use regular salt ? I am asking becuase it's gonna be sitting the refridgerator before it gets baked and afterwards too. I'm just wondering .

Sorry. Haven't been on in several days. You do need the specific salt. You can look up how to make it online or Academy or an outdoor vendor may have it if they have long storage food products.

Just wanted to do a quick update I made about 25 pounds of sausage using Sidinman's recipe.  I did change up a few things.  I used powdered mustard instead of mustard seeds and I added cheese and jalapenos.  I cooked the sausage in two batches the first at 350 for about an hour and 15 minutes.  I cooked the second batch at  300 for an hour and it was much better.  I will be using sausage casings in the future as the wax paper left a huge mess.  I love the sausage and have gotten nothing but compliments on it.

Do you cook it in the casings, or stuff it in them after it's cooked?

If you cook in the bags, would you need to lower the temp and increase cooking time?

*EDIT*

I made this recipe in a 20"x2.5" fibrous casing. 20 hours on a broiling pan filled with water got it to the proper temperature. It tastes really good! Thanks for sharing. I had no idea how summer sausage was made. :up: :up:

I just made one tube because it was trial and error. I'm going to make several the next go around with no changes.

Edited by gregintenn
  • 5 weeks later...

Do you cook it in the casings, or stuff it in them after it's cooked?

If you cook in the bags, would you need to lower the temp and increase cooking time?

*EDIT*

I made this recipe in a 20"x2.5" fibrous casing. 20 hours on a broiling pan filled with water got it to the proper temperature. It tastes really good! Thanks for sharing. I had no idea how summer sausage was made. :up: :up:

I just made one tube because it was trial and error. I'm going to make several the next go around with no changes.

Sorry Greg I just saw this.  I wrapped the first batch in wax paper.  I didn't like doing that, I'm about to make another batch and will use casings.  I don't think I'll need to cook it longer but I'll probably just stick my meat thermometer in the middle of one and take it out when it hits 160.

• 7 years later...

Thought I'd resurrect this thread because I still use this recipe. I've tweaked a few things and thought that I would share. I just made up a 30 lb pound batch today. I pack it into 1 pound casings using a jerky gun. I don't add liquid smoke anymore, but I do cook it in the smoker. I vacuum pack and freeze what I won't use up pretty quick. It is absolutely the best fresh out of the smoker still hot. Oh, and I add in about 20% ground bacon. I made a batch once out of straight ground deer and it fell apart after it was cooked. I've also used pork fat and had good results. It's just easier to get bacon. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a smoker, try a stuffed venison backstrap. Butterfly cut the venison, stuff with cream cheese and finely chopped onions, wrap it with bacon and put it in the smoker at 200 until it reaches 140. Pretty tasty...

20230716_165412.thumb.jpg.68d695114daeb4866c3ef11e26debc57.jpg

Edited by DC551
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, DC551 said:

If you have a smoker, try a stuffed venison backstrap. Butterfly cut the venison, stuff with cream cheese and finely chopped onions, wrap it with bacon and put it in the smoker at 200 until it reaches 140. Pretty tasty...

That does sound good. I’ll have to give it a go. Thanks for sharing.

On 12/8/2023 at 6:35 PM, DC551 said:

That should be in a restaurant! Absolutely looks delicious!  I would love to try some of that! If you could eat with your eyes, I'd be full! Awesome job with the beautiful presentation!

Thanks for the comments fellas. The mixed vegetables go in the smoker as well in a separate pan for about an hour. Had to make it look good in order to make a couple of our friends into venison converts...

We eat venison all year and buy very little beef - got to get creative now and then. 

• Like 2