Show Of Hands -- Who would prefer to use a Credit Card over PayPal?

TGO David

Benefactor Payment Options  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer to use?

• Credit Card / Debit Card through someone like Stripe or 2CheckOut
    • PayPal account balance or Credit/Debit processing through PayPal
    • No Preference

I'm not in love with PayPal, but it's convenient at times.  A direct credit card option would be nice, but if it's one or the other, I'm inclined to just say whatever works best for the site from ease of use, and probably more importantly, whatever takes less fees off the top, thus helping TGO stay solvent.

I like what makes my life easier.

I don't really care what David (still want to call you Tungsten :) ) changes the payment plan too as I am already a life member but paypal hooked up to a CC I have makes life a lot simpler sometimes.  I pay what I pay and get the points for using the card.

I'd vote ( given the option ) for whatever is best for the website financially. 

Paypal is easy to use, if given the choice of it on purchases I choose that option everytime.

• Like 2
  • Administrator

No preference.  You'll get my money somehow or another. :up: :usa:  And no, I'm not being sarcastic.  Don't care if the only form of payment was postal money order... I'm staying a benefactor. :pleased:

That's high praise.  I appreciate that!

• Like 1

When I have a close to equal choice of 2 vendors to buy something from online, I choose the one that takes PayPal.

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I've entered my credit card info a few times online only to find myself being mailed a new card within a few weeks.

I prefer to err on the side of sharing my credit card info with as few online vendors as possible, so I prefer PayPal. Right or wrong, I just don't trust every vendor online to do enough to protect my CC info. In the end, I go with what makes me FEEL safest.

Am I the only one who sees the irony of folks opining about this who aren't Benefactors, when method of becoming a Benefactor is subject of thread? Especially the mostly pro-PayPal ones to boot?

- OS

On a site like this, there may well be a few people who's refusal to use PayPal may be the difference between being a benefactor or not.

• Like 1

On a site like this, there may well be a few people who's refusal to use PayPal may be the difference between being a benefactor or not.

Again, look at the ones who say they do use/like PayPal who aren't Benefactors. That was part of my point.

No biggie, it's just that the thread and poll is not a referendum about PayPal per se,  but rather, using it to become a Benefactor.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Administrator

Am I the only one who sees the irony of folks opining about this who aren't Benefactors, when method of becoming a Benefactor is subject of thread? Especially the mostly pro-PayPal ones to boot?

- OS

Some of them might NOT be Benefactors because of their reluctance to use PayPal.  Others may not be because they haven't needed to sell anything lately and only support the site when that's the case.  *shrug*

I'm really not worried about it.  I think you're kind of driving it into the dirt, though.

• Administrator

Regarding credit cards...

I have enabled processing of credit cards through Stripe (www.stripe.com) for TGO Benefactor membership purchases.  I'll leave it enabled provided it causes no problems.  Right now I've had one person successfully use it so it appears that all is well.

If you've been on the fence because of PayPal, feel free to give it a shot.

• Like 3
  • Administrator

It's only mildly ironic to me that despite the responses in this thread favoring credit card over PayPal, only one person has used a credit card to become a Benefactor member since I made the option available -- and even he was talking to me about it long before this thread started.

Maybe Oh Shoot was on to something.

• Like 1