Planning a 2016 CO elk hunt

I'm planning an elk hunt in CO next oct/nov with some family members. There'll be 4 of us. We have access to a cabin in GMU #4. We also have an outfitters tent + necessary camping equipment if we decide to hunt a different part of the state.

Does anyone head out there? We planned this trip 2 years ago on short notice and couldn't go due to a family medical emergency. All is well now, and we are itching to go. Too bad we have to wait a year, but it will be good to get in shape and allow enough prep time.

I have an '06. I'll probably use it for backup and spring for a new heavier hitter for the primary rifle.

Just curious who goes/has been out there? Should I look towards the NW part of the state where we have a cabin available or the SW part of the state where I have also heard good things or...?

Hoping for a little advice. Thanks Edited by Wingshooter

I haven't been hunting out there in over 20 years, but I hunted the southwest part.  My godfather lives in Blanca and I have wanted to join him in a hunt at least once more.  My only advice is to make sure to sight your rifle, 30-06 is fine, when you get there.  The altitude will change your POI enough to matter.

• Like 1

I haven't been hunting out there in over 20 years, but I hunted the southwest part. My godfather lives in Blanca and I have wanted to join him in a hunt at least once more. My only advice is to make sure to sight your rifle, 30-06 is fine, when you get there. The altitude will change your POI enough to matter.

Thanks. I'll take that good advice and make sure I sight in when I get there.

Don't tell the wife 30-06 is fine :shhh: We all know a 338wm is mandatory, right? (anything for a new gun :rofl:) Edited by Wingshooter
I've been once, didn't get anything because it was 70 degrees the second week of November and nothing was moving where the guide took us.

We were up in Craig, this was 8 years ago. Went with my dad, we used a guide since neither of us knew anything about the area and the well knw, TV channel guide ended up being a complete rip off....

Anyways, loved the trip and being in the mountains. I want to go back, just a matter of time, money and finding someone to split the costs with. Pretty sure my FIL would go in a heartbeat.

I took my 30-06, had it zeroed at 200 and was confident it would have handled any shot out to 350 or so. But yes, good excuse for a new rifle! Edited by jonathon1289
  • Like 1

If you know where you are going, get good topo maps a gps and a good compass. It's easy to get turned around in the mountains. Make sure your in good shape cause at 9500 feet the air is thin and try to get there a few days early so u can cllimatize to the air and terrain.

• Like 2
If GMU 3 is where I think it is (due north of Meeker) elevation should be around 6000ft. So yes physical fitness will help but not as crucial as over 8k. You'll feel fine under normal walking around but start hiking out in the field and you can become short of breathe very quickly.

I lived in Meeker for 4 months working for the Forest Service. The Elk are up there, just so much depends on weather and rut variable. Should be plenty of open range, juniper type cover
  • Like 1

I've been once, didn't get anything because it was 70 degrees the second week of November and nothing was moving where the guide took us.
We were up in Craig, this was 8 years ago. Went with my dad, we used a guide since neither of us knew anything about the area and the well knw, TV channel guide ended up being a complete rip off....
Anyways, loved the trip and being in the mountains. I want to go back, just a matter of time, money and finding someone to split the costs with. Pretty sure my FIL would go in a heartbeat.
I took my 30-06, had it zeroed at 200 and was confident it would have handled any shot out to 350 or so. But yes, good excuse for a new rifle!

We will be north of Craig. I said unit # 3 originally, but it's actually #4. Was there a lot of hunting pressure when you hunted there? We are debating renting horses or taking some ATVs to get back in deeper.

If you know where you are going, get good topo maps a gps and a good compass. It's easy to get turned around in the mountains. Make sure your in good shape cause at 9500 feet the air is thin and try to get there a few days early so u can cllimatize to the air and terrain.

Getting in shape is going to be our biggest priority this year leading up to the hunt. From what I've read, we should take some supplemental oxygen with us. Don't want any altitude sickness.

If GMU 3 is where I think it is (due north of Meeker) elevation should be around 6000ft. So yes physical fitness will help but not as crucial as over 8k. You'll feel fine under normal walking around but start hiking out in the field and you can become short of breathe very quickly.
I lived in Meeker for 4 months working for the Forest Service. The Elk are up there, just so much depends on weather and rut variable. Should be plenty of open range, juniper type cover

It's actually GMU 4, just northeast of Craig. I hope that area is open enough to be able to glass some animals. We are considering renting some horses to help us get around. I will also apply for a mule deer tag.
A friend of mine hunts the Wyoming side right above the state line. He took a great bull a few years ago.

My only advice is to have a plan to get it out. Pack horses are a good option if you're familiar with horses, otherwise I'd hunt somewhere fairly close to vehicle access.
  • Like 2

A friend of mine hunts the Wyoming side right above the state line. He took a great bull a few years ago.
My only advice is to have a plan to get it out. Pack horses are a good option if you're familiar with horses, otherwise I'd hunt somewhere fairly close to vehicle access.

Good point. I'm sure that's something that often gets overlooked. We had horses when I was younger. I'm still familiar enough to handle a trail horse. Plus, we have enough time to do a little trail riding here locally before the hunt. My dad has an artificial knee though, so we'll have to evaluate how comfortable he would be spending so much time on a horse. I thought about taking the Rhino UTV so he would have an actual seat to sit in, and we could go a little more remote that what pickup truck would allow. Horses are what I prefer, though.

I don't remember there being a lot of pressure, but it was 8 years ago.

Are the mountains there around Craig (and north of) open enough to do some glassing across canyons to put on a spot and stalk, or is it more of a dense forest landscape? I guess the thing to do is to get high enough above the tree line to be able to see. I guess that's my question.... can you see long distances in that part of the state and mountains?

I need to get out there soon and look around a bit. I've not been in that part of CO before.

Unit 4 will be very open in a lot of places.  Tons of glassing to do.  I agree that pack horses are a good idea if you are familiar with handling them and get good ones.  Nothing worse than a tired stubborn horse, you are on their schedule once they decide to quit "packing"

Unit 4 area is unique, its 4 points or more, but units to the east allow spike kills, so they herd size could be extremely variable.  Don't be discouraged, you'll have a blast, but be prepared to trek and glass for the Elk.  The cover type will be lots of grass and Sage in the lower elevations and some juniper in the upper elevations.  Still all of those species are low height shrubs.  You will find some timber along creeks, Aspen, cottonwood (low elevations) and depending on how high you go you may gets some patches of Doug Fir, or Spruce.  But those will be patches.  You should have plenty of opportunity for viewing long distances.  

• Like 1
I do not know so much about the hunting portion but I would echo/reinforce what others have said.

- Fitness: Altitudes over 8K will take a toll on you, you'll be sucking air under a heavy load (water, food, emergency egress supplies, cutlery, cold/wet weather gear, weapon, ammo) - so cardio is a must. Get used to humping 45+lbs of gear. First time I went to Ft Carson to do a month long FTX I almost died lol

- Emergency gear: Definitely need to invest in something to make comms with, handheld CB or VHF hand helds for a starter since cell phones wont always work. Topographical maps. Compass. GPS(s). Batteries. 3 days of food and water. Chem lights. Strobes. Flares. Fire starting kits. Sounds overkill but one of your horses breaks a leg or your ATV craps out and youre caught in a valley overnight - definitely want to bunker down and mark your area

- When you get up there confirm zero, like Omega said the alt will jack up your POI.

And hell yes use this as an excuse to get another rifle. 300 Win Mag or go full Operator and get a 416 Nitro Exp lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk Edited by CommsNBombs
  • Like 1
Go to your doctor & ask him for a prescription of Diamox.
It's a vasal dilator that prevents not only altitude sickness, but will also help you sleep.
If you've never been up above 8k, you'll soon find out that a good night's shuteye is invaluable, but almost impossible to get for the first 3 night's.
It also significantly aids in recovery times & will let you get your breath back in half the time.
Did I mention the headaches? Without it, you'll have them. Every day, all the time.

Also, take Rolaids along. Eat a pack a day.

Also also, a month before you leave, start drinking a minimum of 3 liters of water a day, every day. Hydration is the main preventative of altitude related issues.

There is an awesome forum (www.rokslide.com) that's purely based around western hunting. Lots of super helpful folks there. Edited by robtattoo
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team

I've spent extended periods of time at altitude (over 10,000 feet) over the years.  Cardio now is really important as you prepare.  Like Rob said above, once you get out there it's all about hydration.  Hydrate. Hydrate. And, hydrate some more.  Water by itself is not only sufficient, but also ideal.

• Like 2

Unit 4 will be very open in a lot of places.  Tons of glassing to do.  I agree that pack horses are a good idea if you are familiar with handling them and get good ones.  Nothing worse than a tired stubborn horse, you are on their schedule once they decide to quit "packing"

Unit 4 area is unique, its 4 points or more, but units to the east allow spike kills, so they herd size could be extremely variable.  Don't be discouraged, you'll have a blast, but be prepared to trek and glass for the Elk.  The cover type will be lots of grass and Sage in the lower elevations and some juniper in the upper elevations.  Still all of those species are low height shrubs.  You will find some timber along creeks, Aspen, cottonwood (low elevations) and depending on how high you go you may gets some patches of Doug Fir, or Spruce.  But those will be patches.  You should have plenty of opportunity for viewing long distances.

That's exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks for the info. I question whether my binos are sufficient.... Nikon Monarch 10x42. I have a spotting scope, but it's a cheaper one.

I do not know so much about the hunting portion but I would echo/reinforce what others have said.
- Fitness: Altitudes over 8K will take a toll on you, you'll be sucking air under a heavy load (water, food, emergency egress supplies, cutlery, cold/wet weather gear, weapon, ammo) - so cardio is a must. Get used to humping 45+lbs of gear. First time I went to Ft Carson to do a month long FTX I almost died lol
- Emergency gear: Definitely need to invest in something to make comms with, handheld CB or VHF hand helds for a starter since cell phones wont always work. Topographical maps. Compass. GPS(s). Batteries. 3 days of food and water. Chem lights. Strobes. Flares. Fire starting kits. Sounds overkill but one of your horses breaks a leg or your ATV craps out and youre caught in a valley overnight - definitely want to bunker down and mark your area
- When you get up there confirm zero, like Omega said the alt will jack up your POI.
And hell yes use this as an excuse to get another rifle. 300 Win Mag or go full Operator and get a 416 Nitro Exp lol
Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

:up: good ideas. I have a handheld HAM and other radios. I like packing lots of gear... until I put it on my back, lol. I plan to start visiting some of the great hiking trails here in east TN with my pack so I can work up to the level I need to be.
  • Like 1

Go to your doctor & ask him for a prescription of Diamox.
It's a vasal dilator that prevents not only altitude sickness, but will also help you sleep.
If you've never been up above 8k, you'll soon find out that a good night's shuteye is invaluable, but almost impossible to get for the first 3 night's.
It also significantly aids in recovery times & will let you get your breath back in half the time.
Did I mention the headaches? Without it, you'll have them. Every day, all the time.
Also, take Rolaids along. Eat a pack a day.
Also also, a month before you leave, start drinking a minimum of 3 liters of water a day, every day. Hydration is the main preventative of altitude related issues.
There is an awesome forum (www.rokslide.com) that's purely based around western hunting. Lots of super helpful folks there.

Diamox... I'll get some. And plenty of Rolaids.

I'll checkout rokslide :up:

I hate headaches :(

I've spent extended periods of time at altitude (over 10,000 feet) over the years. Cardio now is really important as you prepare. Like Rob said above, once you get out there it's all about hydration. Hydrate. Hydrate. And, hydrate some more. Water by itself is not only sufficient, but also ideal.

I need to step up my cardio workout right away. I like water and drink quite a bit, but I'll have to make sure I keep it up (and then some). Edited by Wingshooter
If you'd like to pm me, I'll happily give you my number. I'm not familiar with unit 4, but I've hunted 25 & I'm pretty familiar with western hunting. I've done 4 trips to Wyoming, 2 to Colorado & I've hunted Montana.
I know every state is a little different, but elk are elk!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Rifles...

I have Savage 111 in 30-06 that will go as my backup. Great shooter! Right now I have a Leupold VX-III LR 4.5-14x50 with target turrets on it. Big freekin' scope. I could drive nails with it, but the scope does make it heavier. I also have a couple Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 as well as some other lesser scopes if I need to lighten the load. This gun is accurate, reliable, and I'm VERY confident with it. I would not hesitate to use it exclusively.... except I want another rifle :)

I have a sporterized 1903 30-06. Awesome, beautiful, heavy rifle. It will stay home and guard the safe.

So I plan to purchase another...

I have been debating between a 300wm or 338wm. The 300 doesn't seem like much of a gain in performace over my '06 handloads, so I'm leaning towards stepping on up to the 338. I know many elk have been killed with much less, but I believe in going big :) I looked at a Winchester 70 Extreme Weather and liked it. It's very light, so the recoil will be a hoot. I also want to check out a Kimber 84M Montana. I'm a huge fan of the Mauser style CRF bolts in a gun like this, so that eliminates Remington, etc. for me. I enjoy shooting targets at longer ranges, so I also want a gun that fits that role as well. I have also considered getting an action and building up my perfect rig for the task.

The Ultra mags, 338 Edge, etc. look good on ballistic tables, but I want to stay away from anything I need a brake on for a mountain gun. Any other suggestions? I'm not a big fan of the short mags for some reason :shrug: So far, I think 338wm is the ticket, but I'm still thinkin' it over

If you'd like to pm me, I'll happily give you my number. I'm not familiar with unit 4, but I've hunted 25 & I'm pretty familiar with western hunting. I've done 4 trips to Wyoming, 2 to Colorado & I've hunted Montana.
I know every state is a little different, but elk are elk!
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's great. I'll send you a PM. Thanks!