Overly Cautious State of Mind

I imagine this has been brought up before, but I haven't ran across it yet so maybe it will be fun to resurrect. Too often I find myself wondering, what if I pull out my firearm to defend myself and someone else ("another Good Samaritan") shoots me not fully knowing the situation. How exactly do you avoid a situation like this? I imagine that at some point this has happened before. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Moderators
I worry about this as well. Unfortunately that I feel is just an inherent risk.

Anywhere an active shooter may be, if you pull your gun to shoot the active shooter, there is always a chance that LEO or someone else with a HCP pops around the corner, goes "Hey look, the active shooter!" and blasts you without second thought. Just a risk you have to take.

There have unfortunately been examples to take place detailing mostly what you have described.

I think it would be a good practice to hide your firearm away directly after a shooting of any kind. When the cops show up I would also make sure to have my hands very high above my head non threateningly as well. No sudden movements or semi threatening words like "I have a gun" or "I just shot this guy" even if you mean it with good intentions.

Hopefully this does not get the armchair commander forum lawyers angry lol. (I love you guys).

In a situation like that I am going to think there will not be others around. If I see shots being exchange I am hauling ass and diving for cover - not going to risk myself getting sent to jail because I wanted to get a "kill assist" - aint no video game!

However, if it was a mass shooting or terror attack and a bunch of dudes with CCWs are running around, with adrenaline pumping and never been in a firefight before, then I see that happening. No idea how to prevent it.

Maybe wear a PT belt and a CCW badge sash and tape some AR500 plates to your back

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Hopefully this does not get the armchair commander forum lawyers angry lol. (I love you guys).

In a situation like that I am going to think there will not be others around. If I see shots being exchange I am hauling ass and diving for cover - not going to risk myself getting sent to jail because I wanted to get a "kill assist" - aint no video game!

However, if it was a mass shooting or terror attack and a bunch of dudes with CCWs are running around, with adrenaline pumping and never been in a firefight before, then I see that happening. No idea how to prevent it.

Maybe wear a PT belt and a CCW badge sash and tape some AR500 plates to your back

Lol, I can't help but laugh. Instead of yelling "Police, drop your weapon." I was thinking about a new catch phrase like: "Handgun Carry Permit Holder protected under the 2nd amendment, drop your weapon." That way, there is no question whether or not I'm the threat to other people around... Sarcasm...

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Lol, I can't help but laugh. Instead of yelling "Police, drop your weapon." I was thinking about a new catch phrase like: "Handgun Carry Permit Holder protected under the 2nd amendment, drop your weapon." That way, there is no question whether or not I'm the threat to other people around... Sarcasm...

Don't have to go there. You have many options.

2503d1377666165-drop-gun-i-said-drop-bam

ddf7r9.jpg

tn_reflector_1.jpg

tennesseehandguncarrypermitbadge.com.gif

Don't have to go there. You have many options.

2503d1377666165-drop-gun-i-said-drop-bam

ddf7r9.jpg

tn_reflector_1.jpg

tennesseehandguncarrypermitbadge.com.gif

Gosh darn it, I am gonna go ahead and order all of those. You know, while I am at it, I will probably go ahead and forget the idea of concealing anymore. I need people to know that I mean serious business.

Gosh darn it, I am gonna go ahead and order all of those. You know, while I am at it, I will probably go ahead and forget the idea of concealing anymore. I need people to know that I mean serious business.

You gotta wear a battle belt everywhere and a M9 in a drop leg holster and tell everyone your job is classified - tell them you are really the remanifestation of Wild Bill Donovan in disguise and you are recruiting for a second Delta Force so high speed and secretive you had to skip a few phonetic letters and call it Foxtrot Force and use the Foo Fighters emblem!

Gun fghts happen very fast + most people are too consumed with their phones to notice something is happening + very few people actually carry a gun = not a concern of getting shot.

Mass shooting / active shooter(s) tactics require you to seek cover and escape the situation. Let the team of good guys take the bad guy out. The exception is when the active shooter walks in your room and starts killing people. That is the point in time when you have positively ID'd the shooter and are in a position to fight.

You avoid this situation by minding your own.  You and yours.

Sound selfish?  Ohh well.  My gun's for me and my wife.  Everyone else gets a 911 call as I'm redlining the engine in the opposite direction.  

As with everything in life, that's not set in stone and decisions will be made on a case by case basis as they present themselves.  Just a general rule of thumb.  

Edited by Caster
  • Like 8
  • Authorized Vendor

You avoid this situation by minding your own.  You and yours.

Sound selfish?  Ohh well.  My gun's for me and my wife.  Everyone else gets a 911 call as I'm redlining the engine in the opposite direction.  

As with everything in life, that's not set in stone and decisions will be made on a case by case basis as they present themselves.  Just a general rule of thumb.  

Exactly right.

You avoid this situation by minding your own. You and yours.
Sound selfish? Ohh well. My gun's for me and my wife. Everyone else gets a 911 call as I'm redlining the engine in the opposite direction.

As with everything in life, that's not set in stone and decisions will be made on a case by case basis as they present themselves. Just a general rule of thumb.

Am I misunderstanding or am I hearing you say that you aren't one to protect a third party?

No, you're not misunderstanding me at all.  The only third party I'm actively going to protect is my better half. Not much of an issue since I am rarely if ever in public.  BUT, the world needn't ask me to ever choose between a crowd of people and my wife cause it'll be her....every time.  I don't care how many fall behind us.  

If there were a scenario where she was safe and I could take a clean shot at some murdering nut, yeah, I probably would but I'd have to feel VERY confident in her safety first, as well as mine because I'm pretty much all she has and she's CERTAINLY all I have.  Wouldn't hesitate to die for her but wouldn't jeopardize myself only to leave her behind and alone.  

Edited by Caster
  • Like 6

Gun fghts happen very fast + most people are too consumed with their phones to notice something is happening + very few people actually carry a gun = not a concern of getting shot.

Mass shooting / active shooter(s) tactics require you to seek cover and escape the situation. Let the team of good guys take the bad guy out. The exception is when the active shooter walks in your room and starts killing people. That is the point in time when you have positively ID'd the shooter and are in a position to fight.

You see, that's the problem at hand. People who are carrying a gun should not be consumed with their phone, they should be focused on their surroundings for this very issue.

Ex. I'm walking down the road and carrying while on my phone. I hear a shot go off, how am I going to know if someone was defending themselves or killing a random person.

I think awareness is a huge issue that people don't necessarily think about.

Roughly 8% of the people in TN have a permit.  One could estimate that less than half of those actually carry regularly.  One could further estimate that a significant percentage of those who carry regularly would be running the other way as fast as possible, if that option is available.  So in a crowd of 100 people, there might be 1 other person who would engage.  The odds of getting shot by another "good Samaritan" are pretty low.   

Ex. I'm walking down the road and carrying while on my phone. I hear a shot go off, how am I going to know if someone was defending themselves or killing a random person.

Easy... you call the police, let them do their job, and watch the story on the news the next day. 

Roughly 8% of the people in TN have a permit. One could estimate that less than half of those actually carry regularly. One could further estimate that a significant percentage of those who carry regularly would be running the other way as fast as possible, if that option is available. So in a crowd of 100 people, there might be 1 other person who would engage. The odds of getting shot by another "good Samaritan" are pretty low.

I certainly see your point, and trust me, none of this keeps me up at night haha. Simply a friendly discussion wondering for other people's thoughts.

It's just a possibility you must accept if you intend on intervening into a situation. It happens. Cops shoot permit holders, cops shoot other cops, and permit holders shoot permit holders. So you can intervene and take that risk or don't.

I'm hoping I'll know the diff between when I could shoot and when I must.

That doesn't necessarily mean I wouldn't if it seemed likely save someone else, though. Just really no way for me to absolutely know till faced with that -- just like battle plans, hypothetical rationalizations aren't all that reliable when the real situation is unknown or changes in a hurry, not to mention never had having my sand tested in that regard in the first place.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I am with Caster as well, me and mine are first on the list to be safe.

OS hits it as well, you just will not know till it happens.

I will tell you this, if you have a gun out with an active shooter around, LEO just might shoot you.

I will say that if I'm willing to risk getting shot by a bad guy in order to save the defenseless, why wouldn't I be willing to risk getting shot by the cops to save the defenseless?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by TMF

Just really no way for me to absolutely know till faced with that -- just like battle plans, hypothetical rationalizations aren't all that reliable when the real situation is unknown or changes in a hurry, not to mention never had having my sand tested in that regard in the first place.

- OS

Yep.    Sage words by OS and Helmuth von Moltke, "No battle plans ever survive contact with the enemy".   :)

It seems as if there is really no solution to the problem. I suppose it's the risk we take as gun owners.

There has always been an inherent risk that comes with liberty. The Amerikan sheeple no longer wish to assume that risk and as a result, the layers of our freedom are being peeled away.