How to thank an officer for going far beyond the C.O.D.?

Randall53

An officer recently went out of his way to perform an extreme act of support and kindness to someone I know. People associated with that person have stated that they want to do something in the form of a small gift as a token of their appreciation. Is this permissible? If not what would be?

It might be that the officer may not want his nice gesture known to all his fellow officers so I would try and see a way to make gift card that he can use personally and just say Thank you for your kindness to so-n-so in a Christmas card. Wait until a time when he can be approached and hand it to him, say thanks and walk away. A Prepaid Visa Gift card might be nice in a card..............just my :2cents: 

• Like 2

Do NOT buy any gift card, gift, etc. In most (if not all) departments, it is considered against SOP's to receive a gift in any manner. Same as accepting free meals. While this used to be the norm back in the day, in today's world it is considered a form of bribery. There may still be some dept's that allow it up to a certain monetary value, but those dept's are few and far between.

A simple thank you note to both the officer and his C.O. would suffice, and be welcomed.

• Like 1

I recieved thank you cards for individuals which were nice because it kept things personal. I also recieved atta boys from the Chief after someone wrote a letter complementing me and sent it to the Chiefs office. Some police officers like attention some don't but everyone appreciates a simple thank you card. As for gifts and such, I wouldn't do that as it could be a violation of that acencies policies.

I recieved thank you cards for individuals which were nice because it kept things personal. I also recieved atta boys from the Chief after someone wrote a letter complementing me and sent it to the Chiefs office. Some police officers like attention some don't but everyone appreciates a simple thank you card. As for gifts and such, I wouldn't do that as it could be a violation of that acencies policies.

Thanks for the reply. We have a plan now. 

A written letter to whoever the highest boss is will go into his/her permanent record.  Chief of Police, Commissioner of Homeland Security, etc.  It doesn't hurt to copy the mayor or governor.  The letters like this help balance the crackpot letters.  I speak from personal experience.

Cherokee Slim

Don't do the gift card as mentioned above. But the thank you letter addressed to the head honcho mentioning the officer means a good deal. I have received a few myself from random people and other departments after helping them on cases and it usually gets forwarded to me and a note that says good job this will be placed in your file. I figure it can't hurt to pad it some with good things in this climate we work in.