Help me choose an heirloom gun.

maroonandwhite

Ok. Thanks for all the advice guys. After handling quite a few guns tonight I have settled on getting a Ruger. I have narrowed it down to either the SR1911 in some form or a GP100.Probably a Match Champion. He liked Ruger Pistols and owned an SR9. While he never owned a revolver he always talked about wanting one as well as a 1911. Anything Ruger will always remind me of him so I just have to decide between the 1911 or GP100. Im going again tomorrow to see  if I can find a Match Champion somewhere. I have held a GP100 but not that model.

• Like 1

I can tell you one thing. He loooooved Ruger.

Lots of  great choices in the Ruger line.

Pistols, rifles, single actions, double actions, autoloaders, etc. It would be hard to go wrong with about any choice from Ruger.

I don't think you said, but if so, I'm sorry; I may have missed this.

What did your Dad like to shoot?

I would look for something that he liked and hadn't bought for himself, and make that my pick. Just my opinion.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

As some of you know my dad recently passed away and I am looking to get something that will not only honor his memory but be passed down from generation to generation. I am currently thinking of something along the lines of a 1911 but am also considering a lever gun or nice bolt action. I am not terribly familiar with the 1911 platform but do plan to go put my hands on some soon. Any recommendations or suggestions on what to look for or not look for would be helpful. I do plan to shoot whatever I get and am thinking of shooting the 1911 in CDP.

was you Dad a gun guy?  If so what was his style?  Was he old school, revolver?  Or new school?  An auto loader.  Did he care about guns at all?  Did he hunt?

from your OP it is hard to give an answer.

Maybe he was a car guy.  Maybe he loved his lawn mower.  

My Grandpa did not love guns or lawnmowers as far as I know.   He loved gardens, he always had one.  Who's memory are you honoring? Just saying....

Why was he about Ruger's?  I like some guns.  Is a gun what life life was about?

Are you manufacturing a reason to buy a gun?

I am so sorry for your loss.  Do what makes it whole for you.

Edited by Mike.357
I like the idea of the Heirloom gun. I wish I had something like that in my family, but I'm the first gun guy in about 120 years in my family, and I don't and won't have kids so that kinda' puts a damper on things.

Anywho, when I think heirloom I think classic, and for me that's wheelgunz. I know the 1911 is 104 years old, but it's just not the same to me. Like others, I prefer Smiths and think that really any nice P&R 357 would be my #1 choice. It's a gun that shoots two calibers that will NEVER go away, and is the most versatile in terms of performance, imho. Given unlimited funds I'd find a Colt. However, I understand the love of Rugers well and the GP100 will last forever.

was you Dad a gun guy?  If so what was his style?  Was he old school, revolver?  Or new school?  An auto loader.  Did he care about guns at all?  Did he hunt?

from your OP it is hard to give an answer.

Maybe he was a car guy.  Maybe he loved his lawn mower.  

My Grandpa did not love guns or lawnmowers as far as I know.   He loved gardens, he always had one.  Who's memory are you honoring? Just saying....

Why was he about Ruger's?  I like some guns.  Is a gun what life life was about?

Are you manufacturing a reason to buy a gun?

I am so sorry for your loss.  Do what makes it whole for you.

I guess it would help to explain my motivation for this but I won't go into detail. I have a very complex family story but long story short I was legally adopted by my daddy and thus now have his last name. My daddy did have firearms but I do not believe I will be getting any of them. He loved me and all but circumstances may prevent me from getting any of them. Even if I could get them at this point I'm not sure if I want them. I am wanting something that will remind me of him each and every time I shoot it. I have decided that will be something by Ruger.

He didn't shot competitions or shoot a lot for that matter but he just swore by Ruger guns and loved owning them. My motivation is a combination of something that will remind me of him but at the same time something I will enjoy and be able to pass down to my children as a symbol of what I enjoy. I guess since it's not something he actually owned I am just thinking of what he would have enjoyed owning.

I can tell you he would not care for a single action revolver. :pleased:  As pretty as they are.

I do plan to get some form of customization done to it whether that is engraved grips or metal engraving with my last name. That kind of has me steering away from a match champion and maybe towards a regular GP100 or SP101 with less engraving.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

I like the idea of the Heirloom gun. I wish I had something like that in my family, but I'm the first gun guy in about 120 years in my family, and I don't and won't have kids so that kinda' puts a damper on things.

Anywho, when I think heirloom I think classic, and for me that's wheelgunz. I know the 1911 is 104 years old, but it's just not the same to me. Like others, I prefer Smiths and think that really any nice P&R 357 would be my #1 choice. It's a gun that shoots two calibers that will NEVER go away, and is the most versatile in terms of performance, imho. Given unlimited funds I'd find a Colt. However, I understand the love of Rugers well and the GP100 will last forever.

That's fine! Go buy a GP-100 6" Stainless. Next month when I turn 25 you can hand it off to me and it will be "our" heirloom gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's fine! Go buy a GP-100 6" Stainless. Next month when I turn 25 you can hand it off to me and it will be "our" heirloom gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha! Be a good son and go track down the one I had to sell for a song in 2008 when times were hard and give it back to me. When I pass I'll will it to you. ;-)

Ruger New Model Blackhawk convertible in .357 MAG / .38 Spec / 9 MM revolver.  Not as accurate when using the 9 MM cylinder, but gives a lot of choices in ammo for uses from hunting to home defense.  I've had one for all the above since 1986, and I'm certain my boys are all playing Rocks-Paper-Scissors to see who will get it!

If he likes Ruger

Ruger SR 1911 Commander TaloDSCN6750_zpsiywgkqkz.jpg

Looks like this may be the Nighthawk pictured instead of the Talo but I did find a Talo in stock at Classic Arms and went with it. I handled just about every gun Ruger makes within reason and although I would love to have a Match Champion now it's not something Daddy would have fell in love with.I am super excited about it and am now looking to get some personalized wooden grips made. Anyone have any suggestions on who to go to for that? I'll get some pictures posted after I get a chance to shoot it.

Thanks again for all the advice and for steering me towards a Ruger.

Looks like this may be the Nighthawk pictured instead of the Talo but I did find a Talo in stock at Classic Arms and went with it. I handled just about every gun Ruger makes within reason and although I would love to have a Match Champion now it's not something Daddy would have fell in love with.I am super excited about it and am now looking to get some personalized wooden grips made. Anyone have any suggestions on who to go to for that? I'll get some pictures posted after I get a chance to shoot it.

Good choice and congrats!

For the record, the gun in the picture is a Ruger Night watchman. I have the same gun and love it.

I struggled with the same question awhile back. I have two currently. One is a FN Hi-Power I had bought a while back then sold because I didn't know better. Finally, was able to get it back and it is one my kids will get. It's a nice specimen but it's the story that goes with it that's most important. Secondly is a Rossi M92 that my dad engraved the receiver. I added some nice walnut stocks to finish it. Not a high dollar gun but now it has a family touch and history that gets passed down as well.
To me heirlooms are as much about the story as the gun.
My dad has his dad's Savage 110 30-30 bolt action bought in the early 50's? That gun while holding little monetary value will never leave my family. It's one of the few things my dad has of his dad. My grandfather died from an aneurysm at 35. My dad was only 5.
Look for a gun with a story. Even if it's not entirely yours.
f695ba6fb7b4fb2b36c4927b417117cc.jpg
Older pic with original wood.
270a95211ccd97e8219bcf370abb9a20.jpg
927a4b32ca6e1ac5e7f5407de7e54c53.jpg

Edited by Smith

What kind of work are you looking for in the grips? Exotic wood? Specific carving patterns? Something else?