Scales

I am using the Hornady scale that comes with the classic reloaders kit. The GS1500. Its the small digital one. It works good for my 9mm powder measureing and such but sometimes it seems to get a little off sometimes. My question is what is a more reliable scale but still affordable ?

Maybe a beam style scale ?  Maybe a different digital scale ?

Edited by tercel89
Air movement can affect them. Shutting air vents in that area while you are reloading may help some. My RCBS beam scales work well and I would recommend one. I mostly load rifle so I use my electronic dispenser, but if I manually trickle, I always use my beam scale.
Hold a cig lighter close to your scale. Preferably in the absence of any powder containers but that's up to you.
Watch the flame. If it dances....well, this ain't rocket surgery.

I use an old Pacific beam scale. It's never failed me. Edited by Caster

I know air movement affects them . I always have my vents turned off when using it. I'm only measuring already dispensed powder that is inside a case. Every 8 or 10th case I dispense a load into my tray and measure it to check my powder weights just to make sure I'm on the spot. So I dont trickle it like most people would do rifles or precision rounds. I'm just making target ammo .

I think a beam scale even for that purpose is perfect. Set it and you don't have to worry about calibrating here and there during use. An RCBS 505 scale would be perfect.

I am way more confident in a beam scale than an electronic. Edited by Hozzie
I used a RCBS 10-10 beam scale for years but wanted a digital scale and after much research bought a GemPro-250. This is a nice, accurate scale that I now use. Amazon had the Frankford Arsenal DS-750 on sale one day cheap and I got it for sorting cases, etc. The Gempro 250 is easier to use trickle charging than the Frankford as it reads to the hundredth of grain. One of my reloading friends has the Dillion scale and it reads to the nearest tenth like the cheap Frankford I bought.

consistency helps.   After your turn off the air vents,  put the brass in the same spot every time  ... you can draw a little target circle or put it in one of the corners.  Also,  you want to scoot it around and ensure that all 4 corners are touching the surface it is sitting on.  In a shop type environment, sometimes your bench isn't exactly flat and if one corner is not touching you get some variation.   Finally, tap the object on the scale a couple of times and let it settle in on a value.  These should be pretty close for the same object...  if not, something is wrong.  Don't breathe on it. 

With all that, most of the $20 scales will do just fine,  most are +-  .5 to 1 grain.  The worst ones are only  +- 1 grains which is *good* for the money spent.    

I use redundancy as part of my own QC. I throw and measure my charge with the RCBS Chargemaster, and then double check that charge on the 505 beam scale. I like it because it forces me to check the charge twice, and if the Chargemaster throws/measures a charge 1/10 of a grain off, I'll catch it on the beam scale and can adjust accordingly, even if that just means I dump the powder back in the hopper and call for another charge.

I think a beam scale even for that purpose is perfect. Set it and you don't have to worry about calibrating here and there during use. An RCBS 505 scale would be perfect.

I am way more confident in a beam scale than an electronic.

I still use an old lyman Ohaus I've had since the late 60's I think. Still works great. If I were going for a new one, the RCBS 505 would be my choice. JMHO

I also weigh each charge, necessary or not, no hurry. Just call me old school, I reckon.

Edited by Grunt67