Carry Glock Modifications

GlockSpock

• Administrator

I run Wilson Combat's Vickers Tactical rear sights on my Glocks, paired with Ameriglo Pro i-Dot orange outlined Tritium fromt sights of the appropriate height for the caliber.  It's a stupendously fast sight combination without sacrificing accuracy.  

Other than that, I run a grip plug of some sort to keep belly-button lint out of the grip cavity, a heavier stainless steel guide rod and lighter spring (15#) in my 3rd Gen G19, and that's it.  My 4th Gen 19 doesn't have the internals monkeyed with.  Just the sights and "butt plug".

Steel guide rod
Stipple and undercut the trigger guard if it suits you
Extended mag release, round the edges first!

Nothing inside needs changing other than the plastic guide rod. The number one reason Glocks fail is cause some gumby felt the need to change a bunch of things.
  • Like 1

When I was younger, say 20+ years ago, I modified everything.  Cars, trucks, motorcycles, ATV, jetskis, guns, myself (weight, working out, hair styles), and etc, but I never modified women, always kept them they way they came (they usually modified themselves).  Anyway where was I, experience has taught me.......................just keep it simple and the way it left the factory.   Reliability means more than window dressing and some performance enhancement gadgets.  Trust me, it may sound cool, may even be cool, but aftermarket items, and DIY tricks, increase the risk of failure and malfunction.  Trust me, I use to hold hands with Murphy a lot, but I noticed Murphy showed up a lot more when I tinkered with something vs. when I left good stuff alone. 

Edited by runco
  • Like 4

When I was younger, say 20+ years ago, I modified everything.  Cars, trucks, motorcycles, ATV, jetskis, guns, myself (weight, working out, hair styles), and etc, but I never modified women, always kept them they way they came (they usually modified themselves).  Anyway where was I, experience has taught to me.......................just keep it simple and the way it left the factory.   Reliability means more than window dressing and some performance enhancement gadgets.  Trust me, it may sound cool, may even be cool, but aftermarket items, and DIY tricks, increase the risk of failure and malfunction.  Trust me, I use to hold hands with Murphy a lot, but I noticed Murphy showed up a lot more when I tinkered with something vs. when I left good stuff alone. 

The key word to remember is "KISS".

Keep It Simple Stupid

• Like 1

I've enjoyed the comments in this thread, here's my two cents worth.

1. A good set of tritium night sights of users choice
  2. A good belt, holster and magazine pouch also of users choice
  3. Enough extra magazines to have at least a total of five magazines
  4. A goodly supply of caliber specific ball and defensive ammunition of users choice
  5. User select a good defensive pistol course and attend same with pistol in question
  6. Just use and carry the darn gun until it becomes second nature to you.​
  • Like 1

I've enjoyed the comments in this thread, here's my two cents worth.

1. A good set of tritium night sights of users choice
  2. A good belt, holster and magazine pouch also of users choice
  3. Enough extra magazines to have at least a total of five magazines
  4. A goodly supply of caliber specific ball and defensive ammunition of users choice
  5. User select a good defensive pistol course and attend same with pistol in question
  6. Just use and carry the darn gun until it becomes second nature to you.​

+1 to all of this! Especially #5.

I run Trijicon HD's on my 19 and XS Big Dot 24/7's on my 12 & 17. The factory Glock sights are fragile and will break, especially as you seek and process realistic training.

I have done grip texture mods and undercut the trigger guards...but wouldn't recommend it until you have plenty of trigger time on your gun. Then if you feel you will benefit for external mods you can make that informed and educated decision.

I leave my Glock internals stock OEM and after 10's of thousands of rounds I've seen no reason for me to change that.

I have several "carry" magazines that I know function. I have a box full of "range" magazines that receive repeated rough handling, use, and abuse. It works for me.

I like TGO David's sight recommendation and it's a good one to consider.

Good advice all around here imho.

edit:spelling

Edited by prag

XS Big Dots and whatever you are comfortable doing to it. That means trigger job, stippling, grip reductions, etc. It's your gun so do with it what you will. I think everything but night sights is unnecessary.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I must say that I really love my night sights on my G-27