Baby Rock

none

Ok I have been looking for a new Bug for off hours. Right now I have a Bersa Thunder CC. Although it is now reliable enough under stress the saftey is an issue. Rather try to adapt to the Bersa I am looking at going with The Rock Island. Again its only role would be in case of emergency break glass.
Although Cabellas is not normally known for stellar deals they have them for just south of $400.00

Thoughts? Edited by wcd
Dunno. Brand new, unknown, untested. Why not save a few bucks, step up to a cheaper, more powerful caliber, and probably a slimmer gun and get a Shield 9 without a safety, if desired?

For under $400, I simply cannot find a better designed or finished EDC. I think the G43 and XDs are fine guns, too, but you have to spend $100-200 more for those.

Of course, those are striker fired guns, not hammer guns like the Bersa or RIA.
  • Like 3

I might be missing something but it looks like the "baby rock" has a manual safety also. I second the recommendation of a shield for small carry under $500.

I would also rather have a LCP/LCR, PF-9, PAT380, Kahr CM9, J-Frame smith or taurus TCP. All of the previously mentioned have no manual safety. Full disclosure; i have no experience with the rock posted. Just personal opinion--i would prefer not to beta test firearms.

Edited by Parrothead

Well my question is why or what is your issue with the safety on the Bersa? Is it that it needs to be swept up to fire, whereas on most other guns with a safety you sweep the safety down?

I've carried a 380 Thunder and still keep a .22 Thunder for target as well as a Beretta full size for home protection and don't feel this would be an issue. Simply for the main reason as I don't use the safety as a safety; decocker yes but as a safety no.....

There is no need to use a safety if so equipped on a double action handgun...

I also keep several 1911 and close variants so the thumb safety sweep down comes 2nd nature as this is simply the nature of the beast and memory takes over when I pick one and carry any of these guns...

But I'll be honest with you my favored carry is a CZ RAMI decocker as it has simplified controls as it has no safety only a decocker lever....

• Like 1

Ok I have been looking for a new Bug for off hours. Right now I have a Bersa Thunder CC. Although it is now reliable enough under stress the saftey is an issue. Rather try to adapt to the Bersa I am looking at going with The Rock Island. Again its only role would be in case of emergency break glass.
Although Cabellas is not normally known for stellar deals they have them for just south of $400.00

Thoughts?

As it seems your in law enforcement what is your primary carry? Would it not be better to carry something akin to your duty weapon?

• Like 1
I am willing to bet the Baby Rock will be a great firearm. I have heard that the Llama 380 1911 style handgun, that is about the same size, was a pretty decent firearm too. However, this is a terrible BUG for most people. Most LEOs carry with their BUG accessible from their support hand. This means a thumb activated safety switch on the left side will be difficult unless you are left handed anyway.

I've had a lot of experence with the early edition full sized Colt Mustang and the earlier circaa 1970's Colt Labeled but Spanish Made import variant. They all worked exceptionaly well but after a while I moved on to other things but insofar as comfort level of use and accuracy I believe the "Baby Rock" will excel. However, I see it as more of a primaray carry or off duty gun then a BUG and for a pocket .380 much prefer the Ruger LCP.

The thing about the excellent S&W Shield, SA XDs9 or GLOCK 43 is though smaller and more compact they aren't pocket sized for every end user. For an OD LEO or a HCP holder it's a simple matter of the right holster and an untucked shirt, jacket or vest. But for a uniformed LEO or even a armed security guard its a different story, particularly when wearing soft body armor and the typical zip up with fake button front uniform shirts.

Here's where you are faced with an ankle holster or in cold weather jacket pocket carry mode. From many years of experience either a back pocket or weak side pants pocket carry is much simpler. For those who purchase holsters which are fastened to the front of their soft body armor unless you've replaced the zipper in your uniform shirts with Velcro tab fasteners then good luck if you ever need your BUG.

As musicman said, I don't think you can beat the Shield. I have 2 and absolutely love them. Caught myself looking at the new ones the other day.

Hi-Viz sights front and rear, and ported barrel and slide. Roughly 475+tics. It was all I could do not to ask for a 4473 on the spot. lol

No need for Velcro on uniform shirts. Practice ripping off old uniform shirts; it is easier than you will realize.

Oh I did, several times and it's no where near as easy as you think it is with a zippered front uniform shirt. Yours is a fairly common perception based upon front buttoned shirts, not the hidden zipper ones. I've no doubt that there are some who could readily rip away the front of thier uniform shirt under an adrenilin dump.

Unfortunately my testing with others proved it generally resulted in a popped upper button and somewhat torn shirt. Access to a weapon was significantly slowed, or still obstructed by the shirt. FWIW in most agencies once a shirt gets old enough the fabric has thinned out from wear due to wash and wear its faded and unsightly. So while it might tear easier then a new shirt its long since been turned in for a new shirt or been destroyed. What I resorted to was a partially unzipped shirt and a Velcro tab until I said screw it and went with a pocket pistol BUG.

Well my question is why or what is your issue with the safety on the Bersa? Is it that it needs to be swept up to fire, whereas on most other guns with a safety you sweep the safety down?

I've carried a 380 Thunder and still keep a .22 Thunder for target as well as a Beretta full size for home protection and don't feel this would be an issue. Simply for the main reason as I don't use the safety as a safety; decocker yes but as a safety no.....

There is no need to use a safety if so equipped on a double action handgun...

I also keep several 1911 and close variants so the thumb safety sweep down comes 2nd nature as this is simply the nature of the beast and memory takes over when I pick one and carry any of these guns...

But I'll be honest with you my favored carry is a CZ RAMI decocker as it has simplified controls as it has no safety only a decocker lever....

Yes the issue is the upward sweep on the saftey. I am trying to stick with a single platform. Thus a down sized 1911 has some appeal.
In a stressful situation I want consistency.

Then by all means stick to the 1911 platform then....   :up:

I'd suggest looking at the SIG 238 and/or the 938 too....

I am also looking at the Sig. Its realtively small which might not be an issue for single off hand use. I don't have a Rock but I have shot them and know people that have had good results with them. Seems like there might be more sight options for the Sig.

I am also looking at the Sig. Its relatively small which might not be an issue for single off hand use. I don't have a Rock but I have shot them and know people that have had good results with them. Seems like there might be more sight options for the Sig.

Here's what I see offhand comparing spec's that the the Baby is no baby... It is a TANK weighting in at 1.5 pounds verse a 938 at one pound... The baby is also quite large compared to either of the SIG's...I have a 938 and sometimes still pocket carry it, don't think you could pocket carry the Baby... The SIG's come with very good night sights and RIA is known to use their own hard to find cut on sights. I have a Citadel (made by RIA) at home that needs a front sight for this very reason.

Also I've shot a 238 and it is an all but SWEET shooter too....

Edited by teecro

How is the safety on the Sig? Does feel mushy or does it seem to have a solid detent? Is the recoil manageable for its size?

Thanks

The safety on my 938 has a very solid snap/detent, I've carried it OWB for a number of years without issue. In the 9 mm the recoil is sharp but it is very well managed for its size due to its all metal frame... The 238 (380) is a pussy cat due to the lock breach design which helps absorb recoil and stop limp wrist failures. 

Edited by teecro

That thing is pretty adorable.

Yes, it is. RIA guns have definitely come up in about every department, including price. lol

But owning a couple myself, the only thing I can say against it is that it's a 380. Doubt I would buy one for that caliber, as I have my Ruger LCP for that.

No doubt it might shoot softer than my Ruger though. That would be a plus for it.