Can dogs be allergic to...babies?

While some of you think Im an animal hating asshole on the other thread (I am an asshole, just not animal hater), my Husky, Tobie has been giving us some scares.

Allison is a month old now so I felt okay introducing them, he went to sniff her and start hacking up some phlegm and wheezing. Stop after he got into the next room and gave him water.

Thought it was an off hand occasion, we tried it again - he was a little nervous, went to sniff her again same thing happened.

Took him to our vet, they ran some tests asked some stupid questions (asked if we fed him breast milk...) and took a fiber sample from the babies clothes. Nothing there.

Now he wont get near her basinet or anything dealing with a baby. Its kind of sad we want him to be a part of her life...he is not allowed in her room and he hasnt ate any of her formula by accident.

Is it possible for him to be allergic TO her? I am not exactly earning six figures to go and try to get a bunch of second opinions NOR do I want them running a buttload of tests on my daugther, or him, he gets enough of that whenever he decides to run away

Anyone got any experience with something like this?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
I have never heard of a dog being allergic to a human. I would be more inclined to believe it might be a combination of stress/excitement over meeting the baby. It will be interesting to see if he stops doing it when he has had more exposure to your daughter. Of course my diagnosis is probably worth exactly what you paid for it.

Yea, I agree with Erik88, its something like the baby lotion or powder etc.  Try having your dog smell products one at a time spaced out a few minutes apart to see if there is any reaction, if not combine two products at a time and repeat.  I highly doubt their is a human allergic reaction going on. 

• Like 1
Well I tried everything baby related...powders, wipes, diapers, detergent, her sleeper, formula, latex bottles...anything I could find and nothing.

Im stymied with this one, and he is too pissed off at me to sniff anything else.

Well I tried everything baby related...powders, wipes, diapers, detergent, her sleeper, formula, latex bottles...anything I could find and nothing.

Im stymied with this one, and he is too pissed off at me to sniff anything else.

Combine some, or introduce them again one day when she is just out of the bath so the only product on her is the baby soap.

I am guessing it could simply be stress or an anxiety attack. If you have waited a month to introduce them, I suspect the dog senses your stress about it. I am guessing the environment you are doing it in is also stressful for the dog. Do it in an area that would be neutral for the dog. If you are stressed the dog will not be relaxed.

I would have introduced them on day 1 outside of the house. It is then not seen by the dog as a threat.

They are smarter than you think. Beautiful dog! Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

I am guessing it could simply be stress or an anxiety attack. If you have waited a month to introduce them, I suspect the dog senses your stress about it. I am guessing the environment you are doing it in is also stressful for the dog. Do it in an area that would be neutral for the dog. If you are stressed the dog will not be relaxed.

I would have introduced them on day 1 outside of the house. It is then not seen by the dog as a threat.

They are smarter than you think.

Could stress cause a seemingly allergic reaction like that? I introduced them by his little den area, about as low stress as it gets

Thanks for the insight though Ill see if I can try it again

It is rare but dogs CAN be allergic to people.   But it is even weirder if he is not allergic to all people, only the one baby??  That seems off.   For example, take a person allergic to cats ... its all of them, or nearly, not just one specific cat.   

If he isn't allergic to anyone else, its more likely a product on the kid or stress.

Most of the inhaled allergies that we see manifest as itching rather than respiratory issues.  Sometimes we see dogs that have reverse sneezing in reaction to something they inhaled.  What you report seems more like asthma, which I would not expect to be a reaction to a baby human.  Most of the asthma-like reactions and bronchitis symptoms that I have seen are associated with detectable aerosols, or certain times of year when the pollen count is high.  

Like others have said, I could imagine him reacting to any of the various perfume-like scents associated with a new baby, but I have not seen a reaction to the baby itself.  I can't imagine how a human could even give off an allergen that could elicit a response.  We are constantly shedding dead skin cells, but then he should react to any blankets or bedding on which the baby has slept.

Found out what it was, I think

Lanolin apparently; She has a cream prescribed to her that has lanolin in it and that was what was making him freak out, I guess he doesnt like the smell because I just got some DCL and he wont come near the reloading room

He started doing that choking thing and has been scratching his nose and whining. Damnit

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk Edited by CommsNBombs

Lanolin apparently; She has a cream prescribed to her that has lanolin in it and that was what was making him freak out, I guess he doesnt like the smell because I just got some DCL and he wont come near the reloading room

He started doing that choking thing and has been scratching his nose and whining. Damnit

Good, not that he's allergic, but that you may know what it is.  Sure would be a shame to have to give up the kid  :rofl:

• Like 4

That would make more sense than being allergic to a baby. Most allergies are protein based, but I've never heard of a dog allergic to a human.