Any suggestions on how to ship a scope?

I'm about to put a scope up for sale, but I want to have a solid game plan on how to ship it in case a face to face deal isn't possible.  

Does anybody out there have a solid method for shipping a scope?  I don't have a factory box so I'm concerned with it making the trip through UPS or USPS unscathed.  

I would wrap in bubble wrap inside first box to fit if possible and then place in second box with more bubble wrap to fill excess space. I would ship Fed-ex or UPS if buyer is able to receive from them. I would insure for value of unit myself. Edited by deadeye111
  • Like 2

Layered packaging and multiple nested boxes are the way to go. Shipped a lot of breakable items in the late 80s and early 90s, and that's how I did it.

Wrap your item in bubble wrap first. Makes sure it has about one inch of protection, and tape so it can't move about. Then get a box just large enough(or build a box around the scope) to fit; and place that in another box, also with some sort of protective layer.

Wadded up paper works in a pinch, again tightly packed so it can't move about. Or more bubble wrap, peanuts, Styrofoam, etc. Anything to protect from shock as packages are moved(dropped or thrown) about.

The key is not letting the item move about, and giving an inch + between inner and outer containment for a buffer zone.

I'll start looking for some boxes the right size and buy a roll or two of bubble wrap.

One packrat habit of mine is that I save the boxes and protective wrapping from all my shipping purchases (mostly Amazon bought stuff) in my spare room.  I've never not had a right size box and enough of those air filled things to protect something, or keep it from shifting around in the box when I've had to ship something.

My wife ships some items sometimes, mostly Ebay stuff.  She keeps a good rep and happy customers using USPS "priority mail" with "tracking".  I would bubble wrap and nest the boxes too.  To save some $ I would try to check out a local hardware store maybe score on any unused boxes and wrap/foam.  Maybe a construction dumpster too... I work construction and can't believe what goodies are thrown away!

Edited by Mwhiskey

When I have ti ship something like a scope or anything fragile I take the item to UPS Store and let them pack it. They are equip to be able to make sure they pack the item so it is very safe. I use to ship 4 quart jars of Sorghum at a time to my brother and his wife in California. They packed it for about $4.00 and I never had an issue with any jars getting broken................jmho  

My local UPS store wouldn't allow anything firearm related (including optics) to be shipped there. Informed me I'd need to ship them from a UPS hub. Could've shipped without letting them know what was inside but then I couldn't insure the item. Could just be my local store's policy idk.

Edited by johnnychimpo

My local UPS store wouldn't allow anything firearm related (including optics) to be shipped there. Informed me I'd need to ship them from a UPS hub. Could've shipped without letting them know what was inside but then I couldn't insure the item. Could just be my local store's policy idk.

its a bird watching telescope.

I forgot about UPS being very difficult when shipping anything firearm related.  I will give my business to Going Postal in Clarksville.  I think I'll use the nested boxes method with bubble wrap, but I'm tempted to do the PVC trick.  I've used it in the past for other delicate items and never had an issue, except for the recipient getting a little scared when he opened the boxes and thought I shipped him some pipe bombs.  

Thanks for all the info gents.