Is reloading not worth it on the common pistol cartridges?

Hi all,

Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems as though buying common calibers in bulk is cheaper than even reloading.  To be fair, I only checked .45 and .380 as those are the two I shoot most often, but I wanted to post on here and make sure I'm not missing something.  Is there more to gain by reloading rifle vs pistol, too?  I'm just thinking of getting the most bang for your buck on target rounds, I should probably add.

Am I missing something?  Was looking at getting a Lee Turret press to get started reloading, but it looks like I might be better off buying a case of ammo for .45 and .380, anyway.   :)

Brandon

um, 380 is one of the biggest money savers out there.   I reload it for under $10 / box; pre obama it was about $5/box.  Brass is free, primers and powder are pennies to the box, projectiles I use are like 4 bucks/box.   Come to think of it even now I probably pull 380s off for under 7.50 / 50 box...

45, I haven't made any acp in a while. 

I use a lee turret.  It paid for itself in just over a year.  

• Like 1

I used to load a lot of .38 Spl. and .357 Mag.  I don't really count my time. Cast  bullets cost on average about 7 cents a piece, when bought in bulk. Powder shouldn't be to expensive but, primers would make the price go up. I like to have fun though. That's what I'm looking for.

You got to put in money to make money as they say.

In this case the money you make is what you WOULD/COULD spend on factory BS.

I have an XL650 setup for 45 and 9mm - with a casefeeder, conversion kits and dies plus 4 extra of each pickup tube was $870.77 to my door.

For 9mm POS 115gr UMC target ammo is around $230-$270 after tax/shipping depending where you get it. So median market val of $250.

I get 1000 primers for $30. 1# of Titegroup for $15. 1000 Plated for $78 or 1000 Coated for $69. Brass is free - I only use half a pound per 1000 so around 120/1000.

If I bought in stupid bulk it would be cheaper. For me that works out - 2 hours on my XL650 moving slow as hell and plunk testing every so often I can do 1000 9mm, convert to 45 and do 500 of those.

So at the end of the day I only pay half yearly ($3000-5000 savings) what I would on target ammo. My ammo outperforms anything I can get on the market. My ammo doesnt fail. It is a fun hobby and with deals/sales online I can cut the prices lower.

If you try to save every penny by casting range lead and robbing ranges of their brass and going through dud boxes and pulling rounds and buying powder in mega bulk then more power to you.

End of the day, you will save money, if you stockpile you wont suffer from market fluctuation and you will have damn good ammo

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

So at the end of the day I only pay half yearly ($3000-5000 savings) what I would on target ammo. My ammo outperforms anything I can get on the market. My ammo doesnt fail. It is a fun hobby and with deals/sales online I can cut the prices lower.

^^^ 50% is a good average.   Some calibers you do better (380 being one of them) and some you do worse (9mm is minor savings at best against bottom shelf 9mm bulk but yours will be better quality, brass cased, precise powder control,  no bi-metal bullets or other weirdness, etc).

End of the day, you will save money, if you stockpile you wont suffer from market fluctuation and you will have damn good ammo

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

THIS. For real. I am already a hoarder by nature. While I definitely changed my shooting habits for a little while over the last few years, I was NEVER short on ammo or supplies.

Reasons I reload:

1.  I just plain enjoy the hobby.  It's almost mind-numbingly relaxing after a hard day.  Just turn the stereo on with my favs from the 80's and a big glass of sweet tea and I'm off to the races.

2.  It don't matter who is president if I have a big ole bucket of brass, a keg of carefully chosen powder, a couple thousand bullets and some hoarded up primers.  Ammo can disappear from the shelves for a while but I can keep on enjoying my shooting.

3.  Sometimes, I get just a little weird and want to make a unique combination of ammo.  Recently, I wanted to see how quiet a cast 9mm I could load for a pistol cal carbine without sticking a bullet.  I was able make one that would clear the barrel, regularly hit the target at 20 yards and sounded no louder than a finger-snap.  (gave me a big smile)  You can't buy stuff like that.

4.  I like reloading!  (Oh, I mentioned that before.)  You see, I didn't mention saving money.  I don't save money.  My hobbies are not about saving money.  My hobbies give me pleasure and if I can afford them then the money is not the issue.

So, the more important question you might think on would be, "Would I enjoy reloading for it's own sake?"  Give it a try, you might find you really like it, too.

• Like 3
Thanks for all of the replies, guys. You've given me quite a bit to think about and I appreciate all of the replies.

I just checked Amazon and they have the Lee Classic Turret press for $99... And my sister sent me an Amazon gift card for my birthday... I might just give it a try. :)

Brandon

For single-stage presses, make sure to get an "O" shaped one vs. a "C" shaped one, they hold up better over time ("C" shaped can flex). Also get a steel one. Don't want to use an aluminum frame and steel action - steel will win that fight every time.

- K

• Like 2

I had problems with the Lee Classic Turret Press when reloading 9mm. It was fine for re-sizing and expanding, but was horrible when it came to bullet seating.

The turret has a bit of movement (up and down) which is impossible to get rid of. Therefore, I found it impossible to get consistent O.A.L. measurements. I was trying to seat Hornady 124gr FMJ to an overall cartridge length of 1.50". I'd get a couple at that length, and then I might get one at 1.41 and the next at 1.63, or whatever.

Several phone calls to Lee Precision confirmed that this was a problem that they knew about, and had no fix for. Since the 9mm is a cartridge that can develop dangerously high pressures if the projectile is loaded to deeply, I decided the Lee was not the press for me. Got a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme and RCBS dies. With this press I can take the seating die out, replace it and be within 0.001" of my desired O.A.L.

The Lee Classic is a good press for some calibers, but IMO the 9mm is not one of them (probably could include .380, .40, .45, etc also), it's just too inconsistent.

Just my $0.02 worth.

the lee classic is steel and not a single stage.  But ^^^ is great advice.  

I can't recommend enough the lee disk powder device if you go with it.   with those two pieces you can make a box (50) of anything simple (no brass trimming or case conversion or whatever) in 15 min once you get the hang of it. 

the turret movement is something you deal with.   I have no trouble with 9mm but I am very careful with it and my loads are standard pressure shot in +P rated guns so if it goes up a little I am covered.  You *can* take the turret spinner out, convert it to a single stage, and clamp the turret down if you want to fool with all that for a precise load.  

Its a good thing to know going into it though.  Its going to wiggle.

Edited by Jonnin

Thanks for all of the replies, guys. You've given me quite a bit to think about and I appreciate all of the replies.

I just checked Amazon and they have the Lee Classic Turret press for $99... And my sister sent me an Amazon gift card for my birthday... I might just give it a try. :)

Brandon

If you wanna practice on that exact press, message me or hit me on FB. You can come over and run off your first box of 9mm at my house. I'll be home Friday night.
  • Like 1
As for the turret OAL inconsistencies, maybe I got lucky?

No matter what caliber I'm loading, my OAL range is only ever .003-.004 variation at max. Most rounds are within .001-.002. I'm not home to look at my data right now, but I think .40 max oal is 1.125", while most of the loads specify 1.115 or so oal. To give myself wiggle room I set for 1.120-1.122 oal. I have never had a feeding problem.

I do the same for 9mm. Most data calls for OAL below max for the round. I set it in the middle and go to town.

Reasons I reload:

1.  I just plain enjoy the hobby.  It's almost mind-numbingly relaxing after a hard day.  Just turn the stereo on with my favs from the 80's and a big glass of sweet tea and I'm off to the races.

4.  I like reloading!  (Oh, I mentioned that before.)  You see, I didn't mention saving money.  I don't save money.  My hobbies are not about saving money.  My hobbies give me pleasure and if I can afford them then the money is not the issue.

So, the more important question you might think on would be, "Would I enjoy reloading for it's own sake?"  Give it a try, you might find you really like it, too.

This!!  I don't reload to save money--it is a hobby that is enjoyable and a stress relief for me.  With that said, I can reload and build up my stash over time without paying several hundred or even thousands of dollars at once which is better on the cash flow at home. 

Every gun has a sweet spot and the easiest way to find that sweet spot is by experminting with your loads. You can't always buy what you need in loaded rounds to work best in a particular gun.Some people just like to hear the gun go off, others like to put small holes in far away targets. No shortage of ammo if you cast and reload your own. I can stockpile a lot of ammo without tying up a lot of money. If you're thinking about starting to reload, components are cheaper now than they have been for a while. Buy in bulk, primers,bullets  , brass and powder. Brass is always good for scrap after you have got your use from it. If the nay sayer are right and hildabeast is elected president the crap is gonna hit the fan again, and ammo shortages will happen again, or there will be some stupid ammo taxes to cope with. Be prepared or face the conquences.

Thanks, James! I may take you up on that just to see it in action and get a better idea of how it works and how you have yours setup.

Brandon

Word. Before you go buying any more stuff, I do recommend coming over and working on my setup for a bit. It'll really help you make some decisions and possibly save you from buying twice on some items. :-)
  • Like 1
I think all reloaders have waisted money on something that they thought they could get some use out of just to find they like to do it a different way. My example would be case trimming. Also, I could live without a powder drop; I actually prefer the cheap Lee dippers. Edited by Patton

I think that probably goes for any hobby.  :)  I've been researching and checking on what people have had success with and the processes they use to reload, and will continue to do so, plus get with my father-in-law as he has been reloading for 40 years, but has always done single stage.  I suspect he may want a classic turret of his own once he sees mine.  Haha!

Brandon

I can pretty much repeat what everyone else has said, but I rarely meet anyone who regrets getting into reloading. I got into it for a hobby and eventually found myself shooting a lot more. The best thing is to find a buddy who also reloads to split bulk purchases and maybe share some equipment. I have a few friends that cast so I get together with them. I occasionally will borrow dies for rounds that I don't shoot enough to justify buying dies like .243 win. I will say that it doesn't take much to cover the cost when loading .380 and even 45acp. I can save at least 50% when reloading .380 acp. That is even buying Berry's Plated Bullets.

While I agree with most everything posted so far, including this post, it's folks who do regret getting into loading that I look for - most of my equipment, and a good supply of components I've obtained well below market prices by arranging meets with those with regrets ...

I had problems with the Lee Classic Turret Press when reloading 9mm. It was fine for re-sizing and expanding, but was horrible when it came to bullet seating.

The turret has a bit of movement (up and down) which is impossible to get rid of. Therefore, I found it impossible to get consistent O.A.L. measurements. I was trying to seat Hornady 124gr FMJ to an overall cartridge length of 1.50". I'd get a couple at that length, and then I might get one at 1.41 and the next at 1.63, or whatever.

Several phone calls to Lee Precision confirmed that this was a problem that they knew about, and had no fix for. Since the 9mm is a cartridge that can develop dangerously high pressures if the projectile is loaded to deeply, I decided the Lee was not the press for me. Got a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme and RCBS dies. With this press I can take the seating die out, replace it and be within 0.001" of my desired O.A.L.

The Lee Classic is a good press for some calibers, but IMO the 9mm is not one of them (probably could include .380, .40, .45, etc also), it's just too inconsistent.

Just my $0.02 worth.

This hasn't been my experience loading 9mm on the Classic Turret, OAL range on mine is actually a bit better than the typical store-bought range ammo I've compared ...

You won't save a dime! You'll just shoot more. Which is good!

I'm going to start reloading this year as well.

Several reasons.

1. I'd like to load lighter rounds for IDPA

2. I want to shoot more so I need cheaper ammo.

3. Not that I'm worried but what if you can't get commercial ammo? That's a good reason to have the know how.

Sent from the Fortress of Solitude.
  • Like 1

This cold/snowy weather spell that we're having really shows me how much time during the year I can spend on reloading.   Sure, when you look at the initial startup cost, it can be a large deterant, but if you look at it as a one time investment, it's not so bad.  For less than the price of one firearm you can have all the equipment you need to start being free from having to wonder if ammo prices are going to be up or down, or if you'll be able to even find ammo in stores next month. It's a fun hobby that supports my shooting hobby, and gives me added value and education to my love of shooting.  It's not only about saving money, but having the ability, the control, and knowing that you don't have to rely on other people in order to continue the shooting sports.