firewood

Mwhiskey

Been trying to give away some firewood, good solid oak seasoned 3 years, problem is everybody wants it already cut up and split. 3 big oaks lying on the ground free for the taking. You cut, you split though.  :)

Same experience here. I have to cut to length, haul to the road and put up a 'FREE WOOD' sign to get rid of it. If I split it, it's no longer free.

Heck, I can't give away tomatoes or apples unless I pick and deliver. I got over the urge to be a generous farmer.
  • Like 4

I don't recall what a rick is in comparison to the chord, but ricks of wood around here are $60.  Lots and lots of trees down from one year ago due to the ice storms.  I would suggest using craigslist in different cities (Knoxville, Tri-Cities, Chattanooga, etc.) to get a an idea on the market.

My buddy just got his pickup full for $60.  My uncle helped him so he may have gotten a deal.  

I don't recall what a rick is in comparison to the chord, but ricks of wood around here are $60.  Lots and lots of trees down from one year ago due to the ice storms.  I would suggest using craigslist in different cities (Knoxville, Tri-Cities, Chattanooga, etc.) to get a an idea on the market.

Thanks, good idea on craigslist.

Been trying to give away some firewood, good solid oak seasoned 3 years, problem is everybody wants it already cut up and split. 3 big oaks lying on the ground free for the taking. You cut, you split though.   :)

Yeah the only way to give away wood is if you cut it, split it, hauling to the their house and stack it up for them.  And you better not mess the yard up!

• Like 4

Yeah the only way to give away wood is if you cut it, split it, hauling to the their house and stack it up for them.  And you better not mess the yard up!

That's about par ant it...My family has a sawmill, and we have plenty of wood if you'll come get it.  Needless to say we end up burning a lot of good scrap.

My cousin sells split firewood in the Soddy Daisy area for $50 a rick picked up and $65 delivered. At least that's what his facebook page says.

There is a guy in Soddy that has a business called Knot Free Firewood. Is that him? You can't sell firewood. You can make a few bucks splitting it an delivering it. You almost can't give away split firewood; I have tried with little success. Delivering, carrying it into the back yard, and stacking it can make you a few bucks though. Years and years ago I used to mess with firewood little bit, but it was because I normally had logs I couldn't do anything with, a lack of steady income in the winter, and some extra time. The fun wore off and I figured there was an easier to make minimum wage. Edited by Patton

There is a guy in Soddy that has a business called Knot Free Firewood. Is that him? You can't sell firewood. You can make a few bucks splitting it an delivering it. You almost can't give away split firewood; I have tried with little success. Delivering, carrying it into the back yard, and stacking it can make you a few bucks though. Years and years ago I used to mess with firewood little bit, but it was because I normally had logs I couldn't do anything with, a lack of steady income in the winter, and some extra time. The fun wore off and I figured there was an easier to make minimum wage.

No. That's not him. He has a law care and landscape business and just sells firewood on the side.

Rick a 4'x2'x8'   2 Ricks = 1 Chord.....I think.

• Like 1

Years and years ago there was a man who cut and sold wood around here. He always took Dad's crazy Aunt enough wood for winter because they were neighbors. He fought with her for an hour before he came to get Dad. We went over there and they started fighting again. He wouldn't take any money and she wouldn't let him unload it till she paid......after 20 mins Dad asked her how much she was going to give him for the load of wood, She said $5.  I can't type the curse words he used after that. It was funny because he eventually took the money, we unloaded and stacked the wood and he put the $5 on her table when he left.

The way things are looking, someday people may be begging for some firewood. 

I got out today and cut and split some to add to the pile.

We burn for heat, been doing it for over 20years.

4' high by 8' long burn size is close to 80 to 100 dollars.

Any one "giving" away wood let me know.

I have a saw and splitter and a truck.

Rick a 4'x2'x8'   2 Ricks = 1 Chord.....I think.

A cord of firewood is 128 sq ft and often stacked 4'x4'x8'. A face cord is one stick deap but still 4x8; this is normally a half to two-thirds of a real cord. A rick is what we call a half ton short bed truck load and is normally 1/3 of a real cord. The cord is the only industry recognized measurement.
  • Like 1
Never heard of a Rick of wood till I moved here. Since then I've searched it and have come to believe it is a mythical specific ameasurement of wood (lol)
I guess it's like anything else with regional influences.
Wood is a lot of work no doubt but there is nothing like having a fire goin!
Those of you wanting to get some wood hauled off PM me if your within an hour of Jefferson City, I'll be your huckleberry :) Edited by Ugly
  • Like 3

Never heard of a Rick of wood till I moved here. Since then I've searched it and have come to believe it is a mythical specific ameasurement of wood (lol)
I guess it's like anything else with regional influences.
Wood is a lot of work no doubt but there is nothing like having a fire goin!
Those of you wanting to get some wood hauled off PM me if your within an hour of Jefferson City, I'll be your huckleberry :)

I don't reckon any two men have ever agreed upon the proper size of a rick of wood.  I have heard the mythical size since I was a kid.  Agree nothing like a good fire going.

• Like 1