Informing a LEO that your carrying, at a traffic stop

Guest johnmattwill

Enlighten me.

A few years back there was a scandal that some THPs were on the take and were being paid off in smoked hams. All the radio DJs made jokes about if you ever got pulled over by a THP, just be sure to have a smoked ham in the trunk.

I've tried to search it on the web, but haven't been able to find a write up about it for better reference.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Phantom6
I've had a couple made up that even have my HCP number on them.

I've heard that if you're ever caught in an "intense situation", when arriving on the scene, an LEO won't shoot a gun with a badge when he sees it as opposed to seeing a gun without one.

I've been concealing my badge here recently as I was afraid of being sited for impersonation of an LEO.

I realize they really only hold a novelty value, but how are they really accepted by most LEOs?

You gotta be freakin' kiddin' me!

Stay on topic!!

This discussion is for Cops, Cop Haters, those that can’t get near a cop car without getting a beat down, and those that get removed from their car at gun point every time they get stopped.

If you are going to start a debate between Hickabillies and Northern Aggressors; you need to start a new thread.

rollfloor.gifrollfloor.gif

leaving.gif

You are awesome Dave!

Guest HexHead
Another tidbit, the agency that stopped him is known for handling permit holders very aggressive. Sad but true.

Which agency is that? Sounds like some pretty useful information.

Guest Provence
I was pulled over by THP a few weeks ago for speeding. I informed him up front that I was carrying and had a permit. He then asked if it was loaded. . .

What a goofy question. "No officer it's not loaded. I just carry it around in case I need to pistol whip somebody".

Guest johnmattwill
Hillbillys? You mean Appalachian- Americans B).

Your now talking about me.... I grew up in the Mountains of NC near Blowing Rock....:rolleyes: (proud of it too).

It was late, I was apparently speeding a little. Turned on the interior lights, hands on steering wheel, wallet out. Friendly, polite, respectful. Informed the officer that I did have a handgun carry permit but that I was not armed (I was on my way to get on a tour bus for some concerts out of state).

I was then lectured for about two minutes for not carrying and grilled with questions pertaining to why I wasn't carrying.

Oh yeah, then he wrote me a ticket.

My LEO friends said that just wasn't right - you either lecture someone or give them a ticket, but not usually both :lol:

Oh well. It was only the second time I have ever had a ticket.

Guest Legally Armed

Some years ago I felt this was a topic that needed to be addressed. Especially since the video produced by the Department of Safety is so bad. I asked a Tennessee Police Department to help me address this subject. This video is not only for permit holders in Tennessee who are given a good overview in the permit course by the instructors, but it is also viewed by individuals in Alabama, Georgia, Indiana, and other states that do not impose any type of training. These people not are exposed to what to do in an armed traffic stop. They can watch these videos and get a good overview about what to do.

There are two (2) videos on the link page. One is an officer speaking about the subject (police officer video on the right of the screen). The other is an example of a traffic stop (the video link in the middle of the screen at the bottom).

In the video with the traffic stop, I wanted to show what some officers might do [example: take control of the firearm]. Others might not ask about the handgun at all once they run the drivers license and see the permit information on the screen. Each L.E.O. will handel the traffic stop their own way. However, an armed traffic stop will be addressed differently in the Northern states versus the Southern states. Thought some of you might be interested in these videos.

Landing page: http://legallyarmed.com/resources/carstop.htm

Okay... I'll bite; I gotta hear this..... :)

How will they be different?

You will probably be jacked up, locked up, arraigned before you can even tell them you have a permit:death:

I was just telling my wife that if the civil war was to happen today the south would probably win since most northerners don't have guns laying around, their "just for hunting":tinfoil:

Since receiving my HCP in November of '07, I have been stopped 3 times. All 3 times I was armed and all 3 times I handed BOTH my DL and permit to the officer as soon as he reached my car. In all 3 instances, I was asked if I was armed and where was my weapon. All 3 times, i was let go with just a warning.

2 of those stops were for speeding and 1 for "excessive acceleration".

I was polite and respectful to the officer and was treated the same in return.

I am a firm believer in showing respect to those who deserve it and in my book, LEO's deserve respect. In my experience, if you have been pulled over, you did something wrong and deserved to be pulled over. Showing an attitude to the officer and then bitching about his attitude towards you is stupid. Give respect and get respect.

Okay... I'll bite; I gotta hear this..... :P

You will probably be jacked up, locked up, arraigned before you can even tell them you have a permit:death:

I was just telling my wife that if the civil war was to happen today the south would probably win since most northerners don't have guns laying around, their "just for hunting":tinfoil:

Same thing happens down here, guy from the north comes down here and gets pulled over, it is not going to be good. Ask my cousin Vinny's nephew and his friend....

Guest GUTTERbOY
Okay... I'll bite; I gotta hear this..... :P

"Afternoon, sir. May I see your license and registration."

"Certainly. And officer, I'd like to inform you that I have a carry permit and am armed at this time."

SOUTH:

"Oh, what are you carrying? Oooh, a Springfield Micro? That's pretty nice. Hey, how do you feel about those new XDMs?"

NORTH:

"This is Unit three-five requesting backup, SWAT team, air support, riot squad, and National Guard deployment."

:lol:

Guest 9MM+357

I would absolutely tell the officer that I have a permit and the firearm in the car. Being up front with them is going to be the better option, rather than them finding out by running your license.

I have not been stopped yet, but as a former LEO I would want to know immediately that I'm dealing with a legal carrier. My policy is to hand them my permit with my driver's license that I got out of my wallet before they exited their patrol car.

+1. I always hand an LEO both license and permit. I'm not going to blurt out "I have a gun". If the LEO wants to know they can ask and I'll say where it is. My hands are always on the steering wheel. If I am not carrying I have, in the past, just said so to avoid the question, and any potential concern when the officer checks back in the cruiser.

Guest wordsworth

My $.02. Only tell the LEO if there is a likelihood the weapon will be seen during the transaction. Either way, place your hands on the steering wheel in clear view of the LEO. If you are deep concealed, I see no need to alarm the LEO about this... unless you just shot a BG in the liquor store and fled the scene.:koolaid:

"Afternoon, sir. May I see your license and registration."

"Certainly. And officer, I'd like to inform you that I have a carry permit and am armed at this time."

SOUTH:

"Oh, what are you carrying? Oooh, a Springfield Micro? That's pretty nice. Hey, how do you feel about those new XDMs?"

NORTH:

"This is Unit three-five requesting backup, SWAT team, air support, riot squad, and National Guard deployment."

:up:

hahahahahahahah yep...so true!

I let em know. they deserve that respect.

just don't tell em about that bug you have.. :lol: I mean, you already told em you were armed!!