Home chainsaws

I user loppers for most stuff and it works well. When I get into the bigger branches once a year or so, even the bow saw wears me out. Last time I just gave up and got out the old sawzall.  :)  I may try one of those plug-in electric pole saws. Thanks, everyone. 

Edited by monkeylizard
On 7/11/2016 at 7:46 AM, monkeylizard said:

Anyone have experience with the battery chainsaws? I'd only use mine once or twice a year to take down 2 to 5 branches at a time. I'm thinking that over time, a small gas engine being used so little would start giving me trouble even with pure gasoline with PRG stabilizer. Pop Mech had some reviews not too long ago. seemed like they might be exactly what I want, if a little expensive for their size.

I've got one of these and it serves the purpose you mentioned. Takes about 20 min. to charge but I give out before it does. To be honest, it doesn't cut as fast as a gas saw but it gets the job done. 

I did put an Oregon anti kickback chain on it (S45) if I remember right, and it helped a lot with the cut speed.

http://www.cpogreenworks.com/greenworks-20262-40v-g-max-cordless-lithium-ion-12-in--chainsaw-kit/gwkn20262,default,pd.html?start=8&cgid=greenworks-chainsaws

Edited by xsubsailor
On 7/11/2016 at 7:46 AM, monkeylizard said:

Anyone have experience with the battery chainsaws? I'd only use mine once or twice a year to take down 2 to 5 branches at a time. I'm thinking that over time, a small gas engine being used so little would start giving me trouble even with pure gasoline with PRG stabilizer. Pop Mech had some reviews not too long ago. seemed like they might be exactly what I want, if a little expensive for their size.

Also have to consider the battery sitting around and going bad. one battery replacement may cost you 20 gallons of gas.

FWIW from me. I've used Stihl since my father-in-law first lent me his old one 15 years ago. When his crapped out, I bought a new model a year ago. It's nowhere near as good as the older one. Supposedly the same model, a 20" Farm Boss. It cuts, but slowly. Harder to start, takes far more bar oil, and is heavier.

On the side of Bow saws and some of the folding "shark tooth" saws, I have cut 2 to 10" limbs with them. Yes, it takes a little arm muscle on the 6"+. But I've cut a lot with them in the last 2 years. I did have to give up and have a 30 inch or so Hackberry cut up by a yard man though.

Bought a Husqvarna Rancher 455 20" bar a few years ago. Runs like  top from day one 'til now. No issues with it. Had an old Homelite 

Super XL 12 years ago that was it's equal. If I had to buy another one, it would be another Husq.

JMHO

I have had my husqvarna 350 for about 18 years. I have cut a lot of cords firewood and felled some trees with it. Very reliable, still starts up easy just like when it was new.

I also have a 346xp that I just picked up off Craigslist for $150, I had to put a bar and chain on it and clean it up a little.

Check Craigslist and then check out this place if you need to tune it up or replace the bar & chain; http://foresterchainsawparts.com/

20 hours ago, hipower said:

I did have to give up and have a 30 inch or so Hackberry cut up by a yard man though.

A friend has a Stihl with a 36" bar for just such an occasion.  If you supply beer, it comes with an operator. :)

I recently acquired 17 acre's of woods, have a Husqvarna 440.....

Top-end Stihl saws are nice, I used them while working in the tree-biz, but you WILL pay more for them. They've got a little more power than the Husq, but cost nearly 50% more. Unless you're using one every day, I doubt you'll see the difference.

- K