BLM in Knoxville Gaystreet Marketsquare

6 minutes ago, JAB said:

I'd bet that Reginald Denny wished he had taken that approach, too.

Precisely!

In fact, that would make a great defense, assuming some of the agitators failed to move in time.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, 56FordGuy said:

I'm so terribly sorry the doctor was inconvenienced. If his surgery is so critical, why didn't he leave earlier? What if he had a flat tire, or other car trouble? What about roads being closed due to an accident? i didn't realize he, unlike the rest of the world is entitled to delay free travel. 

As a outside person looking  I have no idea what the doctor was going to.  For all i know, he got paged for an emergency and was en route.  You know they have lives outside of work, but when they get paged it could be a Matter of life of death.

When they hold up medical personnel there is no idea what kind of harm they are going to cause.  Maybe it is a surgeon rushing for an emergency C-section or other life saving surgery.

You are right certain things can happen while going, however they can't always plan to leave early in the case of being paged.

Again I have no idea if that doctor was going to an emergency or not.

I don't believe blocking intersections is a peaceful demonstration. 

https://www.aclunc.org/our-work/know-your-rights/free-speech-protests-demonstrations

Three principles to remember

1. CONDUCT, NOT CONTENT

It's not what you say—it's the way that you say it. Your right to express your opinion is protected no matter what beliefs you hold. What matters is how you use that right. If you organize a protest that causes serious disruption, the government may be able to intervene. But with a few notable exceptions, nobody can restrict your rights simply because they don't like what you say.

2. FREE SPEECH IS FOR EVERYONE

Young or old; anarchist or evangelical; pacifist or hawk; Mormon or Muslim; these rights apply to you. It doesn't matter whether you're a U.S. citizen, whether you're of voting age, or whether you speak English. Free-speech rights are for everybody. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

3. WHEN, WHERE AND HOW

Consider when, where and how you use your free-speech rights. If you organize a rally that causes violence or unnecessary disruption, your event may be disbanded. Every municipality has regulations and it's your responsibility to understand them. You must observe reasonable regulations on time, place, and manner when you exercise your rights to demonstrate and protest.

http://aclu-or.org/content/your-right-protest

Generally, you have the right to distribute literature, hold signs, collect petition signatures, and engage in other similar activities while on public sidewalks or in front of government buildings as long as you are not disrupting other people, forcing passerby to accept leaflets or causing traffic problems.

(I feel a little better now)

• Like 4

Every one of them should be charged with disorderly conduct at a minimum.

39-17-305.  Disorderly conduct.

(a) A person commits an offense who, in a public place and with intent to cause public annoyance or alarm:

(1) Engages in fighting or in violent or threatening behavior;

(2) Refuses to obey an official order to disperse issued to maintain public safety in dangerous proximity to a fire, hazard or other emergency; or

(3) Creates a hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act that serves no legitimate purpose.

(b) A person also violates this section who makes unreasonable noise that prevents others from carrying on lawful activities.

(c) A violation of this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

HISTORY: Acts 1989, ch. 591, § 1.

They should also be charged with this:

39-17-307.  Obstructing highway or other passageway.

(a) A person commits an offense who, without legal privilege, intentionally, knowingly or recklessly:

(1) Obstructs a highway, street, sidewalk, railway, waterway, elevator, aisle, or hallway to which the public, or a substantial portion of the public, has access; or any other place used for the passage of persons, vehicles or conveyances, whether the obstruction arises from the person's acts alone or from the person's acts and the acts of others; or

(2) Disobeys a reasonable request or order to move issued by a person known to be a law enforcement officer, a firefighter, or a person with authority to control the use of the premises to:

(A) Prevent obstruction of a highway or passageway; or

(B) Maintain public safety by dispersing those gathered in dangerous proximity to a fire, riot or other hazard.

(b) For purposes of this section, "obstruct" means to render impassable or to render passage unreasonably inconvenient or potentially injurious to persons or property.

(c) An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

(d)  (1) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section, which must be proven by a preponderance of the evidence, that:

(A) Solicitation and collection of charitable donations at a highway or street intersection were undertaken by members of an organization that has received a determination of exemption from the internal revenue service under 26 U.S.C. § 501(c)(3) or (4);

(B) The members of the organization undertook reasonable and prudent precautions to prevent both disruption of traffic flow and injury to person or property; and

(C) The solicitation and collection at the specific time and place and the specific precautions were proposed in advance to, and received the prior written approval of, the administrative head of the local law enforcement agency in whose jurisdiction the intersection is located.

(2) [Deleted by 2015 amendment]

(3) No liability for any accident or other occurrence that arises from solicitations shall attach to the sheriff or government involved in issuing the permit, but shall be borne solely by the organization obtaining the permit.

(4) This subsection (d) shall not be construed to supersede or affect any ordinance relative to collecting donations at public intersections in effect on July 1, 1993.

(5) Any municipality by ordinance may prohibit roadblocks within its corporate limits notwithstanding this subsection (d).

HISTORY: Acts 1989, ch. 591, § 1; 1993, ch. 148, §§ 1-5; 2015, ch. 138, § 1.

And yet another I would charge them with:

39-17-309.  Civil rights intimidation.

(a) The general assembly finds and declares that it is the right of every person regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion or national origin, to be secure and protected from fear, intimidation, harassment and bodily injury caused by the activities of groups and individuals. It is not the intent of this section to interfere with the exercise of rights protected by the constitution of the United States. The general assembly recognizes the constitutional right of every citizen to harbor and express beliefs on any subject whatsoever and to associate with others who share similar beliefs. The general assembly further finds that the advocacy of unlawful acts by groups or individuals against other persons or groups for the purpose of inciting and provoking damage to property and bodily injury or death to persons is not constitutionally protected, poses a threat to public order and safety, and should be subject to criminal sanctions.

(b) A person commits the offense of intimidating others from exercising civil rights who:

(1) Injures or threatens to injure or coerces another person with the intent to unlawfully intimidate another from the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured by the constitution or laws of the state of Tennessee;

(2) Injures or threatens to injure or coerces another person with the intent to unlawfully intimidate another because that other exercised any right or privilege secured by the constitution or laws of the United States or the constitution or laws of the state of Tennessee;

(3) Damages, destroys or defaces any real or personal property of another person with the intent to unlawfully intimidate another from the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured by the constitution or laws of the state of Tennessee; or

(4) Damages, destroys or defaces any real or personal property of another person with the intent to unlawfully intimidate another because that other exercised any right or privilege secured by the constitution or laws of the United States or the constitution or laws of the state of Tennessee.

(c) It is an offense for a person to wear a mask or disguise with the intent to violate subsection (b).

(d) A violation of subsection (b) is a Class D felony. A violation of subsection (c) is a Class A misdemeanor.

(e) The penalties provided in this section for intimidating others from exercising civil rights do not preclude victims from seeking any other remedies, criminal or civil, otherwise available under law.

HISTORY: Acts 1989, ch. 591, § 1; 1990, ch. 984, § 1.

And finally, Riot:

39-17-302.  Riot.

(a) A person commits an offense who knowingly participates in a riot.

(b) A violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

39-17-301.  Part definitions.

As used in this part, unless the context otherwise requires:

(1) "Desecrate" means defacing, damaging, polluting or otherwise physically mistreating in a way that the person knows or should know will outrage the sensibilities of an ordinary individual likely to observe or discover the person's action;

(2) "Participates" includes:

(A) Assembling with or joining a group of three (3) or more persons who riot;

(B) Being present, aiding and abetting a riot; or

(C) Refusing any lawful order of correctional personnel or other law enforcement officers during the course of a riot;

(3) "Riot" means a disturbance in a public place or penal institution as defined in § 39-16-601 involving an assemblage of three (3) or more persons whether or not participating in any otherwise lawful activity, which, by tumultuous and violent conduct, creates grave danger of substantial damage to property or serious bodily injury to persons or substantially obstructs law enforcement or other governmental function; and

(4) "Transportation facility" means any conveyance or place used for or in connection with public passenger transportation by air, railroad, motor vehicle or any other method. It includes, but is not limited to, aircraft, watercraft, railroad cars, buses, and air, boat, railroad and bus terminals and stations.

HISTORY: Acts 1989, ch. 591, § 1; 1990, ch. 1030, § 29; 1999, ch. 350, § 1; 2014, ch. 982, § 3.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, TNWNGR said:

https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/tennessee/tn-code/tennessee_code_39-17-307

https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/tennessee/tn-code/tennessee_code_39-17-305

I won't even try to figure out whether the parties involved had any type of permit or whether the police took the approach of what was happening was better then what would happen when people were arrested. As to fire hoses and bean bag rounds. Please folks, it's not 1968 anymore and that wasn't a riot.

Since you mentioned my comment specifically , I take that is a dig at myself so allow me to retort. I am well aware that it isn't 1968 but you are mistaken about this not being a riot. No buildings were burning and no one was killed but by definition this could be considered a riot. They already had the public disruption and the folks hitting the vehicles and miss woolypitts assaulting the person filming sealed the deal on the violent part. So if you want to go that direction with this, yes it could be considered a riot. 

• Like 2

So all you guys talking about freedom to assemble wherever you want and blocking traffic...

If I decided to get a couple of friends and block your driveway early one morning you would just shrug your shoulders and say "Oh well, it's their right to be out there blocking the public road, I guess I'll just miss work, my kids can stay home from school, and my wife will just get another flight tomorrow."

I guarantee you'd go back in your house, tell your wife (or hubby ;0)) to get the kids and call 911 while you secured a long gun.

• Like 5
  • Authorized Vendor
10 minutes ago, BrasilNuts said:

So all you guys talking about freedom to assemble wherever you want and blocking traffic...

If I decided to get a couple of friends and block your driveway early one morning you would just shrug your shoulders and say "Oh well, it's their right to be out there blocking the public road, I guess I'll just miss work, my kids can stay home from school, and my wife will just get another flight tomorrow."

I guarantee you'd go back in your house, tell your wife (or hubby ;0)) to get the kids and call 911 while you secured a long gun.

You know they would. :lol:

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, DT INC. said:

Since you mentioned my comment specifically , I take that is a dig at myself so allow me to retort. I am well aware that it isn't 1968 but you are mistaken about this not being a riot. No buildings were burning and no one was killed but by definition this could be considered a riot. They already had the public disruption and the folks hitting the vehicles and miss woolypitts assaulting the person filming sealed the deal on the violent part. So if you want to go that direction with this, yes it could be considered a riot. 

Your more then welcome to your opinion but what was exhibited in the video was a public disturbance and not a riot. I've been smack in the middle of a couple of riots before, fought my way into get to other officers and fought my way out. That wasn't a situation that called for riot police but I certainly hope a plan was in place for such a need. I don't know how long that mess lasted and I don't know why the supervising officer on scene let it play out that way.

44 minutes ago, BrasilNuts said:

If I decided to get a couple of friends and block your driveway early one morning you would just shrug your shoulders and say "Oh well, it's their right to be out there blocking the public road, I guess I'll just miss work,

No, they would say "it's my fault for not leaving earlier".......

• Like 5

I live on a private road. You'd have to protest about 5 miles from here to be on public property. [emoji1]

In all seriousness, if you want to protest in the middle of the street go for it.

And you wonder why they are pissed off and feel like society is targeting them unfairly with violence.  And you also wonder why people portray gun owners as a bunch of overly aggressive douchebags.  

Did you really just claim that society is unfairly "targeting" a group of people that are standing in the middle of the street impeding traffic, actively drawing attention to and making themselves targets for criticism and/or violence? Thanks, I needed a laugh.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, JAB said:

I fail to see how the thread I started - the subject of which is body cam footage being available to the public in order to hold officers accountable if they engage in unlawful or unethical behavior or to prove that the officer did not engage in such behavior - has to do with officers doing their jobs, keeping the peace and lawfully removing people who are creating a traffic hazard and potentially damaging other people's property.  "Don't cuff someone and then have you and six of your fellow officers gather around and kick the crap out of them," and "Police should remember that they are public servants and should treat the general public in a professional, courteous manner," is a whole world away from, "Let people get away with anything and everything, don't arrest them and don't try to use reasonable, legal means to put a stop to it."  Are you saying that officers cannot do their jobs without going outside the law, using excessive and unreasonable force and beating on people whether they deserve it or not?  I have a hard time believing and I also have a hard time believing that the majority of officers really believe that, either.  However, you were a cop and I wasn't so maybe most cops do believe that.  I'd hate to think so, however.

confused.gif  I’m thoroughly confused now. At no time have I implied that I or any other Officers would have used force against innocent citizens.

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

confused.gif  I’m thoroughly confused now. At no time have I implied that I or any other Officers would have used force against innocent citizens.

Nope. You've only defended every single officer accused of wrongdoing and objected to any efforts to have an objective record of events available to verify what actually happens in police/citizen interactions with exhortations to simply trust the officers. Nevermind the myriad reasons to do exactly the opposite that have brought us to the place we are at now. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DT INC. said:

I fail to understand how you can even pretend that a Christmas parade or the Vol walk are the same thing as these protests. Blocking the flow of traffic, harassing people, hitting their vehicles and causing disruption are no where near being sanctioned fun events for the community. I guess next you will tell us that the gentlemen walking next to the dr screaming was only trying to make sure he made it to his car safely.

No, but what I will say is that I highly doubt there would be this kind of negative uproar had this been a Tea Party protest or pro-Second Amendment rally.   

• Like 2
Just now, East_TN_Patriot said:

No, but what I will say is that I highly doubt there would be this kind of negative uproar had this been a Tea Party protest or pro-Second Amendment rally.   

Yes there would! Were there a group of angry nuns blocking the road in a threatening manner, I'd react the same way.

9 minutes ago, East_TN_Patriot said:

Had this been a tea party protest or 2nd ammendment rally in the street like that, the blm folks would have called it a klan rally and every one of the protestors would have been taken to jail and charged with a hate crime.

19 minutes ago, DT INC. said:

Had this been a tea party protest or 2nd ammendment rally in the street like that, the blm folks would have called it a klan rally and every one of the protestors would have been taken to jail and charged with a hate crime.

The tea party ans most of the second amendment crowd don't protest. They get up and go to a JOB every day.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, 56FordGuy said:

In all seriousness, if you want to protest in the middle of the street go for it.

I've done enough protesting in the middle of the street to last a lifetime, it was behind the wheel of a dump truck waiting on a paver though.  lol

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Nope. You've only defended every single officer accused of wrongdoing and objected to any efforts to have an objective record of events available to verify what actually happens in police/citizen interactions with exhortations to simply trust the officers. Nevermind the myriad reasons to do exactly the opposite that have brought us to the place we are at now. 

You know that's not true; why post that?

• Authorized Vendor
9 hours ago, East_TN_Patriot said:

I disagree. Nobody....and I mean nobody should be able to sit on their butts in an intersection or stinkin' interstate and block traffic impeding the freedom of movement of the average Joe. People should be smarter and more considerate than that. Of course that explains why BLM and others do it.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, 56FordGuy said:

I'm so terribly sorry the doctor was inconvenienced. If his surgery is so critical, why didn't he leave earlier? What if he had a flat tire, or other car trouble? What about roads being closed due to an accident? i didn't realize he, unlike the rest of the world is entitled to delay free travel. 

As for the ones beating on cars or otherwise causing property damage, they should be arrested. 

I don't rightly care if he was just going to remove a bunion!  He, and the rest have a right to travel without being impeded by anyone unnecessarily. These BLM folks need to get a life, and these brainwashed non- blacks in these protests need to get a brain.  I bet most of them don't even get the grasp of the whole situation,  they are just there to be included. Sooner or later there is going to be some backlash,  and it won't be pretty.

• Like 1

A flat tire or car trouble can't be helped, but intentionally standing in the road yelling can be helped. If I block the same intersection will the police give me the same treatment? If I beat on passing cars will it get overlooked? No, they will arrest me.

When I watch the news I'm embarrassed to be an American!

Our country is circling the drain, common sense and logic have already went down the drain.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, McGarrett said:

A flat tire or car trouble can't be helped, but intentionally standing in the road yelling can be helped. If I block the same intersection will the police give me the same treatment? If I beat on passing cars will it get overlooked? No, they will arrest me.

When I watch the news I'm embarrassed to be an American!

Our country is circling the drain, common sense and logic have already went down the drain.

I agree completely. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I will never understand how anybody can even pretend that these people are the victims and being targeted unfairly when they are instigating the conflicts. What the hell happened to being punished for breaking the law? Now if you are in certain groups you are givin a free pass and it makes me want to throw up.

• Like 1