Charlotte "victims" gun IDed

Hershmeister

....Doing pretty okay. :) Got a little lease for the cows to run on, bought some new tires for the plow truck. Probably push the cows down out of the mountains in a couple of weeks to winter them nearer the house. Hoping to rebuild a 1937 model Caterpillar this winter, may start on it as soon as this weekend. I need to grade our 5 miles of dirt road out to the highway though, so the Cat may still be a week or two out.  ...

Glad ta hear it brother... It takes gumption to act on your "deeply held" beliefs... Good luck to ya...! By the way... RE: "... The 37 Caterpillar rebuild"... I love these things... Send us some photos and let us know whats happenin from time to time...

Good luck...

admirin leroy....

• Like 1
4 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I remember the gist of the airline scenario being : Should a drunk pilot be allowed to fly a passenger jet? After all, til he's hit a mountain, there hasn't been any harm to anyone.

Thats the one but at this point is kind of moot. None of us will be persuaded to change our minds. Kind of typical of a bunch of alpha types. 

That is one of the things that makes it good on the forums. We can all agree to disagree and still hoist a beer. If it is still legal that is.  LOL

• Like 1
1 hour ago, n0rlf said:

Thats the one but at this point is kind of moot. None of us will be persuaded to change our minds. Kind of typical of a bunch of alpha types. 

That is one of the things that makes it good on the forums. We can all agree to disagree and still hoist a beer. If it is still legal that is.  LOL

In my world, everything that doesn't affect another person is legal, so although I don't partake, I'll raise my sweet tea and enjoy the fellowship. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

In my world, everything that doesn't affect another person is legal, so although I don't partake, I'll raise my sweet tea and enjoy the fellowship. 

OK starting to scare me. No partaking? At least tell me you enjoy Bacon?

Love bacon. But never really understood drinking.  I don't really get anything out of it and it's way more expensive than the nectar that is sweet tea. I know we've talked about legalizing weed in this thread but I've never even tried it.  

My vices are usually something that has to do with cars, computers, guns or lego.   Drinking and smoking just weren't for me.  

I don't drink enough to make a dent in any liqour cabinet. But I do enjoy a cold beer once in a while. (My wife is into beer making so we get some good ones), I am a Jack Daniels fan and do enjoy a drink every few weeks or so. As for bacon, well, after my heart attack the wife outlawed bacon in the house. She does let me have it once in a great while. (She loves me). I would eat bacon by the side if I could. :)  I love Sweet Tea, but as I am diabetic that is also off the list. :(   So a diet Coke with a little Gentlemen Jack seems to be my go to. I used to enjoy a good old scotch but not so much anymore. Maybe once we get our house finished up in the mountains I can relax by a fire again and imbibe.

5 hours ago, n0rlf said:

I don't drink enough to make a dent in any liqour cabinet. But I do enjoy a cold beer once in a while. (My wife is into beer making so we get some good ones), I am a Jack Daniels fan and do enjoy a drink every few weeks or so. As for bacon, well, after my heart attack the wife outlawed bacon in the house. She does let me have it once in a great while. (She loves me). I would eat bacon by the side if I could. :)  I love Sweet Tea, but as I am diabetic that is also off the list. :(   So a diet Coke with a little Gentlemen Jack seems to be my go to. I used to enjoy a good old scotch but not so much anymore. Maybe once we get our house finished up in the mountains I can relax by a fire again and imbibe.

Well, now that the thread is officially derailed (probably played out then derailed):

To me, Splenda (unlike the pink stuff or even Equal) is just as good as sugar in tea with the bonus that Splenda melts easier if the tea is cold.   If I drink Gentleman Jack I prefer it just over ice.  Of course, when available I prefer Coke Zero over Diet Coke by leaps and bounds.  Once I found out the difference I realized why.  Remember New Coke?  Well, Diet Coke is actually based on the New Coke formula (and so is a 'diet' version of New Coke.)  Coke Zero is based on the Classic Coke formula (and so is a 'diet' version of Classic Coke.)

Edited by JAB
On 10/4/2016 at 1:42 PM, 56FordGuy said:

I'm not anti-laws. I'm anti laws that create criminals out of people who are not harming others. That is not freedom. I would rather live in a world where every dolt and doofus can carry a handgun without a permit than have to jump through hoops to prove to the government that I'm good enough to exercise the rights already guaranteed me by the constitution. 

I think that the Thomas Jefferson test should be applied to all laws and any laws which do not pass that test should be null and void.  The test to which I am referring has to do with a quote from Jefferson on religion:

The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. ...

Unfortunately, there are too many people in our society that seem to believe that someone simply doing something that they do not like or agree with 'picks their pocket or breaks their leg.'

• Like 3
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, JAB said:

I think that the Thomas Jefferson test should be applied to all laws and any laws which do not pass that test should be null and void.  The test to which I am referring has to do with a quote from Jefferson on religion:

Unfortunately, there are too many people in our society that seem to believe that someone simply doing something that they do not like or agree with 'picks their pocket or breaks their leg.'

The inability of government to remain limited in scope to this just aim is what finally pushed me on the path towards anarchism. All the arguments of how folks are incapable of regulating themselves and therefore need government are also the same arguments why government can't be allowed because those who can't regulate themselves are drawn like moths to the flame of government's mantle of legitimacy to use force to regulate the actions of others. 

Generally, those who have need of government are wholly unfit to be a part of it. Those who are fit to be a part of it almost never are because they have no need nor want of it. 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Cruel Hand Luke said:

Would be interesting to see if the gun was stolen......

Something tells me the gun was probably stolen.  If it were obtained legally this would have been front page news as to try to say current gun laws are not working.  In addition they don't want to tarnish this marijuana smoking, convicted felon, illegally possessing a firearm, red blooded,  boy scout of a citizen unjustly.

• Like 1
On 9/27/2016 at 2:26 PM, btq96r said:

I know there were other circumstances around this event, so I've refrained from jumping in.   But one thing I do not want is for LEOs to automatically equate firearms with criminal behavior, and I think we're trending, or already at that point..at least in the inner cities.  If the trajectory continues, it's going to become a problem felt by lawful gun owners as state legislatures continue to overrule local ordinances on carry for individuals and and in vehicles.  Something to think about as we continue to work towards the fulfillment of the rights we're supposed to have under the 2nd Amendment.

Unless it's shown that they were in a place where they weren't lawfully allowed to be, I don't care.  I know that LEOs will use that determination to help guide their investigations, and I'm fine with that, but the answer to that question isn't evidence, or anything contributing to the event in question.

FWIW if the gun was reported as being stolen that information would have been amoung the earliest press releases. It would be very useful to the department or media.  It's probably a gun that's gone through more then a few previous owners and ended up in a previous convicted felons hands. It may have even been stolen and never reported as such due to another owners legal status.