Spyderco Sharpmaker

I know this product has been mentioned many times around here, but I wanted to give it my own stamp of approval.  When it comes to sharpening knives I'm truly "sharpening challenged".  I've tried about every gadget out there and have spent hours behind flat stones with mediocre results.  I thought I hit the jackpot when I bought a Chef's Choice 3-stage sharpener a few years back.  I could actually get sharp kitchen knives.  It wouldn't get anything razor sharp, but it sure was sharper than I've ever gotten a knife.

ChefsChoiceSharpener-300x224.jpg

After hearing about the Sharpmaker from you guys I decided to get one for myself for Xmas.  I had a cheap S&W knife in my pocket that day when it arrived from UPS.  I had previously "sharpened" the knife in the Chef's choice and it was crap.  $10 knife and cheap steel just will not sharpen.  This thing is better suited as a screwdriver.  Anyways, I unbox the Sharpmaker, go through the motions as described in the manual, then laid the knife against my arm and shaved a patch of hair right off! 

OMG WTF just happened?!?!??  I turned around and sharpened some of my good knives and all now have razor edges.  If you are as challenged as I am, I highly recommend you go buy a Sharpmaker today.

204_L.jpg

• Like 4
You just mirrored my exact experience with sharpening knives. I couldn't hold the blade at the right angle consistently enough to use a stone and the Chef's Choice just barely worked.

Now everyone thinks I'm a blade sharpening genius. Using the Spyderco Sharpmaker is almost like cheating, LOL.
  • 1 month later...

I had a sharpener that used that method before, what sets the spyderco apart from similar designs?

mostly just the triangular shaped rods...they offer a LOT more surface area contact with each stroke than round rods
Guest Nick@NKG

I had a sharpener that used that method before, what sets the spyderco apart from similar designs?

Quality. This is what spyderco does. They make things sharp. Before they ever started producing knives, that made sharping systems. Aside from the Edge Pro Apex I wouldn't use any other system,. I am anal about my knife sharpening though. For some one getting into it that doesn't own many knives. Lansky offers a decent table top rig.

Edited by Nick@NKG
  • 2 weeks later...
I just ordered one and I am super excited that I'm actually going to be able to sharpen my own blades!
I've never been any good at sharpening my knives. That is a skill that I've always wanted to learn, but never could.
I'm really hoping that the Sharpmaker can make me a blade sharpening pro!

I have one question though: Should a blade be stropped after using the Sharpmaker? (I did order the ultra fine stones too)

I'm sure I'll get blasted for this comment, but I've never found a need to strop after using the Sharpmaker.

Don't necessarily "need" to, but can add that nth degree of sharp if you use compound with it. Stropping is generally most useful for periodically restoring edge until you need actual resharpening. Think of straight razor that can sometimes go a year or more with just stropping.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I just ordered one and I am super excited that I'm actually going to be able to sharpen my own blades!
I've never been any good at sharpening my knives. That is a skill that I've always wanted to learn, but never could.

I have one question though: Should a blade be stropped after using the Sharpmaker? (I did order the ultra fine stones too)

I too have been "sharpening challenged" for a long time.  I finally bought a Smith's system and with some practice, now feel fairly confident in my ability to get a knife shaving sharp.  That's a pretty good feeling.  :)

As for stropping, it depends on how far you want to go.  I found that it makes a difference, but I don't have the ultra fine stones in my kit.  Stropping does give it that shiny, mirror-like appearance that you see in pictures, which is pretty cool. 

There is no need for a strop after using the sharpmaker,

I have sharpened several knives from cheap to very expensive with it and you will love it!
I cannot ever see myself using one of these. As a meat cutter for 15 years I was able to learn how to not only sharpen a knife but to keep it sharp. 2 different things by the way.

Keep in mind what you may use your knife for. If you are processing a deer you will want a very sharp knife, for personal protection you want a dull knife. A good idea is after you sharpen your knife dull the tip. Edited by 45guy

I cannot ever see myself using one of these. As a meat cutter for 15 years I was able to learn how to not only sharpen a knife but to keep it sharp. 2 different things by the way.

Keep in mind what you may use your knife for. If you are processing a deer you will want a very sharp knife, for personal protection you want a dull knife. A goo idea is after you sharpen your kit dull the tip.

What's the theory on a dull knife for personal protection?