Why 1911?

Smith

It's early and I'm at work and I have a lot of time to think. The question that comes to mind is - what is all the hullabaloo over 1911's? I mean compared to other guns on the market they seem to be inferior in almost every way. They are heavy, capacity isn't great, reliability is questionable (with out gunsmith work even on $$$$ customs), they aren't necessarily small, etc. I mean if a gun came on the market today with these issues they would be laughed into oblivion. So what gives?

BTW - I still want one!:)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

I find them to be superior to most other handguns, personally. They really aren't that heavy, 8/9 rounds of .45 ain't nothing to sneeze at, every 1911 I have owned has been 100% reliable, and can get pretty small in the Officer's sizes. Sure there are better guns out there, but they haven't been around for almost a century and still be mass produced. Thats gotta say something right there.

I mean if a gun came on the market today with these issues they would be laughed into oblivion. So what gives?

I doubt that, I don’t think most people buying them today are buying them because of nostalgia.

They only ones laughing would be those thinking that a gun needs to be made out of plastic and have a bottom feeder price tag. Quality 1911’s are not cheap and aren’t cheap to shoot.

Everything is application driven. You have the application or you don’t; and as you are about to see many won’t agree on what the application is.:)

It's a matter of quality workmanship in an all steel firearm, vs stamped out tupperware. Each has it's place, but if you like fine craftsmanship in a pistol, the 1911 is the one you will like better. Here's my pretty Kimber:

kimber02.jpg

Edited by mousegunner
added photo
Guest Astra900

I asked the same question in a post not too long ago. Be prepared for the adamant defenders.

I have owned several 1911's ranging from ho-hum:rolleyes: to utter garbage.

I have had 2 Colts, a custom build on an Essex frame, a Llama, and have shot countless others...none of which impressed me. They are nowhere near as comfortable in my hand as my XD. Capacity is an issue. Maybe my hands weren't made right in the womb, but they feel down right clumsy to me. To get one that is truly reliable, you gotta spend $$$.

It all boils down to what you like. Lot's of people like the 1911. Lot's of people will get violent when you question the integrity of the 1911. Some people are silly that way, they can't stand it if you voice an opinion they don't share. God forbid anyone slander their graven image:screwy:. I don't usually bad mouth the 1911 openly, but if someone GAVE me a Wilson Combat, I'd sell it and buy another xd with a pile of mags and ammo, or maybe a nice Blackhawk, or a Freedom Arms SA revolver.

I have never understood the hullabaloo over them, and never will.

Edited by Astra900
Guest flyfishtn

It's kinda like cigar smoking, some people like strong cigars and some people like mild cigars. Whatever floats your boat.

To me, I like them and have not experienced any reliability issues and don't feel that cost for the craftsmanship is out of line. Some like 'em, some don't.

I think a lot of the draw to a 1911 is the history in them. And they are all based on the designs of one of the most prolific inventors ever.

Are there better guns out there? Probably.

But no handgun collection is complete without one.

I have been in the gun business twice (total 9 years) in a life where I have been an active shooter and re-loader since 1981. In that time I have owned many 1911's. I have sold and shot many others. I like 1911's. I have seen many 1911's that were completely unreliable. The majority of middle priced guns, i.e., basic Colts, SA, some Kimbers were finicky at best. The shorter the more finicky. Many of the early cheap lines were totally unreliable, i.e. Auto Ordinance, Charles Daly, and a bunch of others with names I cannot remember. I am not saying that all were this way. I just sold enough and had to deal with enough to know this to be true. Many prblems were magazine related. Many others were just because they were poorly assemled or finicky about ammo. There pure military type 1911A1's I have shot recently seem to be worlds better and I have had no problems with the last couple I have had thank goodness. But I still have a SW 4563TSW as my primary 45 carry gun as it has always been 100%. That being said, why are 1911's still viable.

1. They are thinner than most and easier to conceal.

2. They are 45's so most feel comfortable with 7-8 rounds. (I only carry 8 rounds in my Glock 27 myself)

3. They are available in LW framed models that are much easier to carry.

4. Nostalgia to a certain extent.

5. Great trigger's, well, at least on some.

6. They are somewhat easier to accureize and many are very accurate new.

7. It is a cool thing to carry to prove your gun savvy.

I am sure there are many more reasons. Hey, if you like them and you have one that is 100% and want to carry it, got for it. I like them when appropriate but most of the time I am either carrying my 27 or my SW 642. I find the easiest gun to carry is the one I will most likely have with me more often than not.

As for general shooting or non-carry applications, I think everybody that is a firearms enthusiast should have or try a 1911. There are many lower priced models now that work such as Rock Islands. I recently had one that was hard for me to want to sell because it was such a good shooter but I needed the money for something else.

Finally, I think it was Evan Marshall that said, his idea of a $3000 45 was a Used VW with a Glock 30 in the glove box and I have to agree.

A good 1911 is one of the best handling, quickest aiming, most controllable pistols on the market.

It conceals better than almost any other mid of full size pistol.

the grip angle is just...right. It lends itself to a natural point of aim. I can close my eyes, draw and point a 1911 and the sights will be aligned 99% of the time.

You can't pistol whip someone with a plastic fantastic and get the same result out of it

If someone happens to see a 1911 in condition 1 on your hip...they tend to be polite.

Most of the 1911s on the market today are reliable for almost any ammo out there.

A nice Commander sized 1911 with a bobtail and a alloy frame is going to ride more comfortably than any XD or Glock if you go with a inside the wasitband holster.

AND because John Moses Browning was a friggin genius who could take Jack Bower, Chuck Norris AND Gadsden Glock and send them running home to momma with nothing more than his stern gaze.

• Administrator

A nice Commander sized 1911 with a bobtail and a alloy frame is going to ride more comfortably than any XD or Glock if you go with a inside the wasitband holster.

As a 1911 aficionado and owner of combat tupperware, I must respectfully disagree with this statement. My Wilson Pro commander bobtail is no more comfortable than my Glock 19 when carried IWB in the same style of holster. The Glock 19 probably has the advantage.

I agree with everything else you said, though.

I asked the same question in a post not too long ago. Be prepared for the adamant defenders.

I have owned several 1911's ranging from ho-hum:rolleyes: to utter garbage.

I have had 2 Colts, a custom build on an Essex frame, a Llama, and have shot countless others...none of which impressed me. They are nowhere near as comfortable in my hand as my XD. Capacity is an issue. Maybe my hands weren't made right in the womb, but they feel down right clumsy to me. To get one that is truly reliable, you gotta spend $$$.

It all boils down to what you like. Lot's of people like the 1911. Lot's of people will get violent when you question the integrity of the 1911. Some people are silly that way, they can't stand it if you voice an opinion they don't share. God forbid anyone slander their graven image:screwy:. I don't usually bad mouth the 1911 openly, but if someone GAVE me a Wilson Combat, I'd sell it and buy another xd with a pile of mags and ammo, or maybe a nice Blackhawk, or a Freedom Arms SA revolver.

I have never understood the hullabaloo over them, and never will.

I spent 470 OTD on a RIA tactical and have had no problems.

I find them to be superior to most other handguns, personally. They really aren't that heavy, 8/9 rounds of .45 ain't nothing to sneeze at, every 1911 I have owned has been 100% reliable, and can get pretty small in the Officer's sizes. Sure there are better guns out there, but they haven't been around for almost a century and still be mass produced. Thats gotta say something right there.

+1:up:

The reason I prefer a 1911 is because for me personally it points easier then any other gun I own. I also find the trigger the easiest to shoot rapid when combined with the "push" of the .45acp

Also mine exhibits amazing reliability...I have never had a single FTF or FTE since its been my carry even when I have been quite lax on cleanings and it has turned into a lint trap in my M-Tac.

Edited by Magiccarpetrides
other reasons
I spent 470 OTD on a RIA tactical and have had no problems.

My Taurus is 100%,and IMO its better then a Kimber :up:

Funny,I took mine out last night to clean her up all nice and purty,because Ive been thinking about selling it.I took it out of the rug,and just held it,and a single tear rolled down my cheek because of its awesomeness.

You can play with any gun,and tell yourself that,that is a gun,but when you hold a 1911,it tells you that it is a real gun

The question that comes to mind is - what is all the hullabaloo over 1911's? So what gives?

BTW - I still want one!:up:

the 1911, single-action trigger, plus the big, slow round!

kind of like how leo fender got so much right on the fist try w/ the telecaster, mr. browning introduced the world to the semi-auto w/ a fantastic design.

around 100 year old design, and just about nothing out there can be tuned to shoot as crisp, and as accurate as a good smoothed-over 1911.

while it's not my choice for EDC...

and if you could only own one pistol i wouldn't recommend a 1911 be it...

and it's expensive to shoot...

but if you like pistols... you just need one.

Guest Astra900

One 1911 design I have never had the chance to try is the Para-Ordnance with the light double action set up. I'm sure there is something "too good to be true" about them. One of my biggest contentions with the 1911 is the hammer/single action. It's not for me.

Anyone have a Para LDA? Are they worth their salt or junk?