USS Indianapolis Found

Garufa

I need to see if I can find any interviews of the crew of the sub. Can you imagine the range of emotions from sinking what they thought was a battleship, only to suffer through the nuclear bombs and then finding out they got revenge before the bombs were delivered?

I remember reading the story of the ordeal the crew went through waiting to be rescued. I don't remember reading about the mission the Indy had just completed.

I wonder if any of the survivors of the sinking are still alive? If they are I hope this helps give them closure...

7 minutes ago, Mark A said:

I need to see if I can find any interviews of the crew of the sub. Can you imagine the range of emotions from sinking what they thought was a battleship, only to suffer through the nuclear bombs and then finding out they got revenge before the bombs were delivered?

I couldn't care less about what the Jap sub crew thought.  They didn't know that ship delivered the bomb.

Edited by Garufa
  • Admin Team

Somebody call @willis68 - maybe he go get it.  

This is pretty cool.  I think there was still a surviving crew member as of a couple of years ago. 

Edit to add: as of 2015 there were still 31 survivors.  https://www.google.com/amp/relay.nationalgeographic.com/proxy/distribution/public/amp/2015/07/150727-uss-indianapolis-reunion-survivors-sharks-jaws

• Like 1

Maybe some of you TMCA members can verify this...or prove that I've totally lost it.

A couple years ago at Cool Springs, wasn't there an Indianapolis survivor there selling a book he had written about his experiences?

I swear I remember talking to him for a while and buying copy of the book. I cannot locate it tonight.

Two Years ago I went to the NASCAR race at the Brickyard. We stay at the Hyatt Regency which is where they were holding the 70th reunion. They had a very large model of the Indianapolis in the lobby. I got to talk to a bunch of Navy old timers, but I don’t think any were the survivors.

Having been in the Navy I was familiar with what happened to the USS Indianapolis, so I was looking for to the movie. (USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage)  It was okay, but not nearly as good as I think it could have been. (Poor special effects and camera work.) Robert Downey Jr. was also supposed to be doing a movie about it, but I don’t see anything about it since 2015; maybe he gave up.

I also went to Pearl Harbor in 2001 for the 60th Anniversary. I got to hear some survivors speak. I will never forget it.

Unfortunately many young people today don’t know about our history and the only way they find out is when movies are made.

14 hours ago, Garufa said:

I couldn't care less about what the Jap sub crew thought.  They didn't know that ship delivered the bomb.

At the time of sinking the Indy they did not. But, that sub and its' crew survived the war. That means that they most likely found out after the fact. It is interesting and often educational to learn things. It is what drives the human race forward. Fortunately there are enough people with open minds in the world to more than counteract those that have closed minds...

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Mark A said:

At the time of sinking the Indy they did not. But, that sub and its' crew survived the war. That means that they most likely found out after the fact. It is interesting and often educational to learn things. It is what drives the human race forward. Fortunately there are enough people with open minds in the world to more than counteract those that have closed minds...

Very few people in the world can give you the perspective this sub crew could. I think it  would be interesting to hear it too. Who knows how long it took them to confidently confirm the news of the bombing on the sub. Hopefully we can learn enough as the human race as to not use these weapons again. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Very few people in the world can give you the perspective this sub crew could. I think it  would be interesting to hear it too. Who knows how long it took them to confidently confirm the news of the bombing on the sub. Hopefully we can learn enough as the human race as to not use these weapons again. 

I sincerely hope your right buddy about never using those type weapons again but as long as a human has access to one there is always a chance it will happen and no one is willing to give them up that has them and places like NK and Iran along with a couple other countries being part of the HUMAN RACE is very debatable..................JMHO

7 hours ago, Mark A said:

While I'm sure the stories are fascinating and would enjoy reading them if available, I still am not exactly concerned with Japanese sailors' probable elation with knowing they exacted revenge when it was not theirs to savor.

Other than the writings of the I-58's captain and transcripts of Captain McVay's court marshal where the sub commander appeared as a witness for the prosecution, not sure that anything exists.  Might have to go to Japan to find anything, but as modern historians are more focused on feelings rather than facts perhaps some grad student will try to look at it from their perspective.

To me, the aftermath of the incident is a more interesting story.

Edited by Garufa

This news story references a survior that is still living. It says only a handful are still alive, so there are still a few, I guess.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2017/08/20/we-knew-the-ship-was-doomed-uss-indianapolis-survivor-recalls-four-days-in-shark-filled-sea/?utm_term=.55af81890cf6

Edit: The story says 19 survivors are still alive.

Edited by Wingshooter
  • Admin Team

I know it spawned some conspiracy theories - and I remember reading a book about as a kid. But does any one know if they ever came up with a definitive answer as to why the intelligence services did not alert them to the presence of the submarines in their path?

19 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I know it spawned some conspiracy theories - and I remember reading a book about as a kid. But does any one know if they ever came up with a definitive answer as to why the intelligence services did not alert them to the presence of the submarines in their path?

I've been curious about that as well. 

Interesting facts about it: http://www.ussindianapolis.org/story.htm

Edited by Wingshooter
9 hours ago, MacGyver said:

But does any one know if they ever came up with a definitive answer as to why the intelligence services did not alert them to the presence of the submarines in their path?

That information didn’t come to light until the 1990’s. So it’s anyone guess as to why they didn’t get that info. Because of the classification of their mission it could have been that whoever would have passed that information to them; didn’t know they were there. But that just a WAG.