The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

It is not rare just a little harder to get on a regular basis.  You should be able to find it in most any liquor store.

And if you did not know, the point of Ocean is to mimic the effect of shipping whisky on river barges back in the day.  Now they take it a step further and float it over the equator a few times to cause temperature extremes and more sloshing around in the barrel.  This adds to the body and flavor of the spirit.

Thanks. I'll look the next time I get near a store.

Wait a minute...seriously? Ship it around the equator before selling?

Edited by hipower
I once found a map with the Ocean's voyage, but can't find it right now. I've had a bottle of several of the voyages, some definitely better than others, but a pretty reliable pour. I do think for the price (at least what I've paid; ~$75-90) there are bourbons I'd rather have over it, but I've bought a bottle of the last few releases, so I obviously don't hate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

So the second sample generously given to me was Elijah Craig Barrel Proof 134.8.  So I took the first sip neat just for a benchmark, and no surprise, its HOT.  But I could get some good flavors of caramel and oak, but no where near the oak of the Ocean.  So, instead of ice I diluted with room temperature filtered water and the result was a truly great drink.  Lots of good bold flavor.  Im no expert taster but this is a really great bourbon, I enjoyed it greatly.  I would say I liked it better than the Ocean, although both were great

• Like 1

So the second sample generously given to me was Elijah Craig Barrel Proof 134.8. So I took the first sip neat just for a benchmark, and no surprise, its HOT. But I could get some good flavors of caramel and oak, but no where near the oak of the Ocean. So, instead of ice I diluted with room temperature filtered water and the result was a truly great drink. Lots of good bold flavor. Im no expert taster but this is a really great bourbon, I enjoyed it greatly. I would say I liked it better than the Ocean, although both were great

If you have any left, and you happen to have the standard EC12; mix it 50/50 for a truly delightful bourbon experience.
If not, add the water, it's awfully hot right from the bottle!

bcfaa8bcc38b8b1aa23e9c0d5ebbb6d2.jpg

I've had many different expensive whiskeys in my travels, but JD Single Barrel is still my gold standard. There's nothing in the world like it, and it's like a taste of home when I'm traveling. A great companion to my breakfast this morning.

• Administrator

You obviously have some good and thoughtful friends.

Indeed, I count myself fortunate.  This particular friend is a leatherneck too, so our conversations tend to be absolutely politically incorrect and some of the best.  :D

• 2 weeks later...

Newest additions...

12 Year Whistle Pig Old World and 7 year Willett.

The 7 Year Willett is worth every penny compared to the standard Willett's that are floating around. 12 Year Whistle Pig is good, but I'm kind of on the fence about it...

IMG_20151007_191523_zpsqicfzbon.jpg

4c49ff56-4389-407a-88ae-bfcdd012b33e_zps

Edited by tennesseetiger
  • Like 1

Newest additions...

12 Year Whistle Pig Old World and 7 year Willett.

The 7 Year Willett is worth every penny compared to the standard Willett's that are floating around. 12 Year Whistle Pig is good, but I'm kind of on the fence about it...

That Willett is definitely good stuff!  

• Like 1

That Willett is definitely good stuff!  

I'm a huge fan of Willett in general, just never had the 7 year before but I found a bottle of it and couldn't pass it up...sucker wasn't exactly cheap but its worth it honestly.

Almost forgot, I also got a bottle of Makers Mark Cask Strength recently but haven't cracked it open yet. I've heard good things tho...we'll see I guess.

Edited by tennesseetiger

I'm a huge fan of Willett in general, just never had the 7 year before but I found a bottle of it and couldn't pass it up...sucker wasn't exactly cheap but its worth it honestly.

Almost forgot, I also got a bottle of Makers Mark Cask Strength recently but haven't cracked it open yet. I've heard good things tho...we'll see I guess.

Willett is one of my favorites.  I pick up a bottle whenever I run across one.

[url=http://s196.photobucket.com/user/kahrman/media/88f7073d.jpg.html]88f7073d.jpg[/URL]

Edited by KahrMan
  • Like 2

Willett is one of my favorites.  I pick up a bottle whenever I run across one.

88f7073d.jpg

I've only had the Willett Bourbon once or twice and I liked it both times. Just dont see it on the shelf as often for some reason. I usually stick with the Rye...now I will say that Johnny Drum bourbon is pretty awesome for the price AND its made by Willett which makes it that much better. Fun fact for the day.

Edited by tennesseetiger

I suspect the BTAC will be out in the next week.

Our allotment was crap this time.  If we get a second shipment of it I will let you know.

The Larue is the hottest most A Bomb like whisky I ever tasted.  If you take a shot neat you need to be sitting.

Also as  a point of reference, we sell the 12 for about 33 bucks.   Other stores will try to gouge.

Edited by Mike.357

Our allotment was crap this time. If we get a second shipment of it I will let you know.

The Larue is the hottest most A Bomb like whisky I ever tasted. If you take a shot neat you need to be sitting.

Also as a point of reference, we sell the 12 for about 33 bucks. Other stores will try to gouge.

I'd rather wait and get it from you if you're certain you will get it.

Nothing in life is certain.   I have no clue if there is more coming.

I did not even get a bottle, just too little of it this time.  

Sad to hear that the Weller 12 is going to be so hard to come by for another year. I got really lucky a few weeks ago, even though I didn't really know it at the time. 

• Like 1

I've got a couple of Antique's sitting in the cabinet right now. Might need to check our local stores and see if they are around here or not.

Antique is not impossible to get.  We keep it on the shelf like the white label Weller. But lately when it is gone it is gone.  The distributors don't get enough.

None of the 12 hit the shelf.   That does not happen usually.  I recall a few years ago the 12 year old was easy to stock as the 90 proof white label is now.

Our allotment was crap this time. If we get a second shipment of it I will let you know.

The Larue is the hottest most A Bomb like whisky I ever tasted. If you take a shot neat you need to be sitting.

Also as a point of reference, we sell the 12 for about 33 bucks. Other stores will try to gouge.

Great price!

Try John J Bowman - it's even better and no one has figured it out yet
  • Like 1