5 year old killed!!

bersaguy

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Omega said:

I'm sorry, there is nothing except a negligent discharge (and that would still tick me off) that would change how I feel about this.  There is no reason to target a child, of any color, that is just riding a bike.  If he had a beef with one of the parents, then it should have been taken up with them, not the child.  

I agree wholeheartedly.  I'm just saying something about the scenario doesn't feel right to me.  Maybe we've heard the truth?  I don't know.  Or maybe the dad was the intended victim and the perp was a really, really lousy shot.

14 hours ago, cajunpredfan said:

And typically it's black on black crime/shooting, again not the narrative.

That's kind of my point though: This little kid got national coverage (at least on CNN's main page, for multiple days) but the black kids in Chicago are only part of the tally, if that's even reported.

All the talk about how the mainstream media seek to portray white people in a bad light while glossing over the faults of non-white people is kind of overblown, in my opinion. Yes, there absolutely are biases, bit we all have them and I really don't think there's a concerted push from the mainstream media to make white people look bad.

• Like 3
  • Administrator
9 hours ago, TomInMN said:

That's kind of my point though: This little kid got national coverage (at least on CNN's main page, for multiple days) but the black kids in Chicago are only part of the tally, if that's even reported.

All the talk about how the mainstream media seek to portray white people in a bad light while glossing over the faults of non-white people is kind of overblown, in my opinion. Yes, there absolutely are biases, bit we all have them and I really don't think there's a concerted push from the mainstream media to make white people look bad.

Honestly you bring up a good point, albeit maybe not entirely intentionally:  Why aren't there threads every week on TGO and other social media outlets demanding justice for the black kids killed in Chicago?

We should be pissed as hell about those tragedies also.  Maybe even moreso, since they are almost always tied in some way to being a victim of gang violence, and said gang violence is one of the primary causes of the high number of gun deaths in the US each year and a primary fuel for gun control advovcates.

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Honestly you bring up a good point, albeit maybe not entirely intentionally:  Why aren't there threads every week on TGO and other social media outlets demanding justice for the black kids killed in Chicago?

We should be pissed as hell about those tragedies also.  Maybe even moreso, since they are almost always tied in some way to being a victim of gang violence, and said gang violence is one of the primary causes of the high number of gun deaths in the US each year and a primary fuel for gun control advovcates.

I would say that it's because black on black violence in Chicago is old news, but I can say that I get equally upset when it's children that are killed. Just because I don't start a thread in this forum about it doesn't mean that I don't care.

This story wasn't ignored because of media bias.   Most murders don't make national news.  The ones that do are typically mass murders or are murders committed by our governments.   There isn't a ton of a story here.  The boy was killed by a man that they had in custody within hours of the shooting.   The stories that gain national media attention, at least recently are murders by cops where it takes a big push to even get the cop placed on administrative leave. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

This story wasn't ignored because of media bias.   Most murders don't make national news.  The ones that do are typically mass murders or are murders committed by our governments.   There isn't a ton of a story here.  The boy was killed by a man that they had in custody within hours of the shooting.   The stories that gain national media attention, at least recently are murders by cops where it takes a big push to even get the cop placed on administrative leave. 

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't just about every LEO agency have a policy of putting officers on admin leave upon a shooting, good or bad? 

23 minutes ago, Omega said:

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't just about every LEO agency have a policy of putting officers on admin leave upon a shooting, good or bad? 

Possibly.   But it isn't always mentioned if they do.   Regardless, admin leave isn't enough when innocent people die. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Omega said:

That was the SOP for every law enforcement agency that I ever have had experience with including my own department.