Must watch movie/television recommendations & interesting shows

Links2k

7 hours ago, hipower said:

I actually sat thru all of "Afterlife". Personally I saw no redeeming value in it. Wasted time. 

Could only look at Ricci's boobs for so long!

I'm trying to figure a downside to this 🤔

LOL, I did think it was an interesting story with a twist  I had not heard/seen before. Arguing with dead people in denial was kinda humorous to me. Felt like doing it at time to time at work... 😳

So next time I watch it I'll just close my eyes during those scenes 😉

Edited by Jamie Jackson
  • Thanks 1

Along the lines of movies I do really like (unlike the above) is the 1999 movie "Bringing Out The Dead".

Nicholas Cage is a burned out NYC Paramedic on the verge of a psychotic break and it has a great ensemble cast that are crazier than he is. Scorsese even has a cameo role in it.

I saw it with my wife and son in the theater back in N.O. My wife & I were RN's and my son a Medic. We were the only people laughing and we laughed a lot.

• Like 2

Ghostbusters: Frozen was really good. My wife and I took our grandson to see it on opening day. He's a huge fan and the movie did not disappoint. It's definitely the 2nd best in the series after the original.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

Along the lines of movies I do really like (unlike the above) is the 1999 movie "Bringing Out The Dead".

Nicholas Cage is a burned out NYC Paramedic on the verge of a psychotic break and it has a great ensemble cast that are crazier than he is. Scorsese even has a cameo role in it.

I saw it with my wife and son in the theater back in N.O. My wife & I were RN's and my son a Medic. We were the only people laughing and we laughed a lot.

Medical professionals Cops and Firefighters have a warped sense of humor  I know enough of them to say that. I know I find things funny that a lot of people don’t. LOL 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Sleep profit said:

Medical professionals Cops and Firefighters have a warped sense of humor  I know enough of them to say that. I know I find things funny that a lot of people don’t. LOL 

It's a survival mechanism!

There's some crazy s**t going on "behind the curtain ".

I think it was Waylon that sang "I've always been crazy but it kept me from going insane "...something along that line 😉 

EMS, Fire,  & LEO are kindred spirits 

Edited by Jamie Jackson
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, BigK said:

Ghostbusters: Frozen was really good. My wife and I took our grandson to see it on opening day. He's a huge fan and the movie did not disappoint. It's definitely the 2nd best in the series after the original.

better than ghostbusters 2? i really enjoyed that one. HE IS VIGO!

11 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

I'm trying to figure a downside to this 🤔

LOL, I did think it was an interesting story with a twist  I had not heard/seen before. Arguing with dead people in denial was kinda humorous to me. Felt like doing it at time to time at work... 😳

So next time I watch it I'll just close my eyes during those scenes 😉

I admit it, Jamie. It was a rather unique movie. I actually found a copy in a $1 each yard sale. Thought it would interest my wife with Liam in it. After watching, I decide whe wouldn't approve of this one.

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

better than ghostbusters 2? i really enjoyed that one. HE IS VIGO!

I liked the 2nd one too, but this was even better IMO. I'm sure you already know this from the trailers, so it's not a spoiler...all the familiar faces that are still alive appeared in this one. It was a great thrill.

I watched Ghostbusters: Afterlife again a few days ago and found a small hole in the writing. Ray is talking about how Egon leaving NYC and taking the gear left them high and dry. He's ranting and says something like "we even had to sell the firehouse. <pause> It's a Starbucks now." which is a pretty funny line.

But they're back in the firehouse in the new GB: Frozen Empire and it's exactly how they left it, not a Starbucks.  🙂

• Like 1
12 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

I watched Ghostbusters: Afterlife again a few days ago and found a small hole in the writing. Ray is talking about how Egon leaving NYC and taking the gear left them high and dry. He's ranting and says something like "we even had to sell the firehouse. <pause> It's a Starbucks now." which is a pretty funny line.

But they're back in the firehouse in the new GB: Frozen Empire and it's exactly how they left it, not a Starbucks.  🙂

I bet you count gunshots in westerns and call BS when they fire 13 shots from a six-shooter too, huh? LOL 
Just kidding, I didn't pick up on that, but you're right. 

One of the best and subtle Easter eggs in GB:Afterlife is Dana's piano. I've never found anything on the Interwebz mentioning it, but it's there. In Egon's house when the family first arrives there's a damaged upright piano against one wall. I think you can see it in another scene too. I went back to the original GB and sure enough, it's the exact same piano from Dana's apartment at the end of the movie when her place has been damaged from the dimensional portal.

I believe I mentioned earlier that I’m a fan of “3 of 7 Project” on YouTube. I always wondered why I could relate to Chad, even when I had a differing opinion. 

Here is a short video of Chad and Blake explaining the meaning behind the name.  This is the type of ministry I love.  It’s positive and optimistic, without the in your face condemnation and judgement. The channel is well worth a follow. 

• Like 1

Against my better judgement, I went to see Dune 2. Don't worry, this is spoiler free

Let me start by saying... i really enjoyed it.

Let me follow up by saying... I HATE DUNE. I seem to vent about this a lot, but the plot of Dune is honestly mind numbing. It's unrelentingly slow. I tried to read it and I got bored. I tried the audio book, the narrator spoke slowly. Dune is so slow that even killing someone with a knife requires you to stab slowly. It's even SLOWER when they took one book and made it into two full length movies.... the second one was almost 3 hours.

That being said, it's a beautiful film, They found a way to make a bleak desert world really come to life on the screen. The soundtrack and audio were top notch. I will warn you that seeing it in the theater will absolutely wreck your ear drums. At least it did at my location. I shot an AK for an hour or two once without ear pro and besides the buzz that lasted for days, it felt a lot like that (I was like 18, don't judge me).

Pros:

If you're into visuals, crazy action and love sci-fi fantasy, you could certainly do a lot worse. It does some some Hollywood diversity tropes... but it didn't get in the way of anything. I also recommend going to see it in the theater.

So the Cons:
Zendaya. Her role is fine. She fufills it, but it's just her being stern like every other charcter she plays. That's in either Dune film. They didn't even have her try to sound exotic. She and her friend in the film are just kinda like teenage girls who do stuff. It's fine, whatever.

Around around halfway through the film, you can almost see the point when they realized they filmed too much and had to make cuts. Again... no spoilers, but there's a part where a character seems to almost instantly teleport from one part of the globe to another while on foot. Meanwhile, another character catches up to them in an aerial vehicle that they didn't have before. Just tada! I don't really care for montages and it suffered from that in several places.

There are at least 450 lingering portrait shots of the main characters. It doesn't take away from the film, but after awhile you have to wonder if they could have cut that out vs something more interesting

There are a couple of parts where a character appears and you're like... wha??? and then they just kinda... go away....

Walken is in it, but he's not doing Walken things. That's almost criminal.

6 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

Against my better judgement, I went to see Dune 2. Don't worry, this is spoiler free

Let me start by saying... i really enjoyed it.

Let me follow up by saying... I HATE DUNE. I seem to vent about this a lot, but the plot of Dune is honestly mind numbing. It's unrelentingly slow. I tried to read it and I got bored. I tried the audio book, the narrator spoke slowly. Dune is so slow that even killing someone with a knife requires you to stab slowly. It's even SLOWER when they took one book and made it into two full length movies.... the second one was almost 3 hours.

That being said, it's a beautiful film, They found a way to make a bleak desert world really come to life on the screen. The soundtrack and audio were top notch. I will warn you that seeing it in the theater will absolutely wreck your ear drums. At least it did at my location. I shot an AK for an hour or two once without ear pro and besides the buzz that lasted for days, it felt a lot like that (I was like 18, don't judge me).

Pros:

If you're into visuals, crazy action and love sci-fi fantasy, you could certainly do a lot worse. It does some some Hollywood diversity tropes... but it didn't get in the way of anything. I also recommend going to see it in the theater.

So the Cons:
Zendaya. Her role is fine. She fufills it, but it's just her being stern like every other charcter she plays. That's in either Dune film. They didn't even have her try to sound exotic. She and her friend in the film are just kinda like teenage girls who do stuff. It's fine, whatever.

Around around halfway through the film, you can almost see the point when they realized they filmed too much and had to make cuts. Again... no spoilers, but there's a part where a character seems to almost instantly teleport from one part of the globe to another while on foot. Meanwhile, another character catches up to them in an aerial vehicle that they didn't have before. Just tada! I don't really care for montages and it suffered from that in several places.

There are at least 450 lingering portrait shots of the main characters. It doesn't take away from the film, but after awhile you have to wonder if they could have cut that out vs something more interesting

There are a couple of parts where a character appears and you're like... wha??? and then they just kinda... go away....

Walken is in it, but he's not doing Walken things. That's almost criminal.

Thanks for the critique. Well done. Still doesn't make me want to go. LOL! Frank Herbert is...well let's just say I can't read him and leave it at that.

Put Walken in every scene and I'd go!

1 hour ago, hipower said:

Thanks for the critique. Well done. Still doesn't make me want to go. LOL! Frank Herbert is...well let's just say I can't read him and leave it at that.

Put Walken in every scene and I'd go!

It was the best dune has to offer a guy who doesn't like it.

• Haha 3