Must watch movie/television recommendations & interesting shows

Links2k

On 12/26/2023 at 11:41 AM, MP5_Rizzo said:

Last night after the dust settled I found myself with a quiet house and the TV remote in my hand.  I decided to watch and see what the chatter was about.

When it was over I had way too many questions so I went to the old interwebs.  I found this and thought it was interesting and reliable so I thought I would share.

https://youtu.be/TiqQROFSK8k

I would have summed it up as "sheeple concerned with their own petty problems". Not a lot of redeemable qualities for anyone.

54 minutes ago, Pain103 said:

If you have Paramount+ Lawmen: Bass Reeves is good. I have been waiting on something about him to get put out. 

Taylor Sheridan puts out a lot of good work! I’m looking forward to season 2.  

• Like 1

I don't think I'd ever done so before, but I went to see Top Gun Maverick in the theater twice. I love that kind of movie, so well, in fact, that I bought the DVD and have seen it at least twice more at home. I read that they're working on another Top Gun move, if Cruise ever finishes with his other projects.

Edited by Darrell
  • Like 1
43 minutes ago, Darrell said:

I don't think I'd ever done so before, but I went to see Top Gun Maverick in the theater twice. I love that kind of movie, wo well, in fact, that I bought the DVD and have seen it at least twice more at home. I read that they're working on another Top Gun move, if Cruise ever finishes with his other projects.

I purchased it on Prime Video, and I watch it  frequently. I’m planning on putting a Buttkicker Gamer Plus on my reclining loveseat to watch titles like “Top Gun” , “Braveheart” and “Heat.”  

• Like 1
On 12/12/2023 at 9:42 AM, Erik88 said:

My wife and I watched this movie last night. It was decent, not great. They could have made it shorter, and spent more time on the point. I found Julia Roberts character to be quite punchable. All she did was squawk and complain the entire time. I was hoping a plane would take her out. 

That reminds me of Sicario. One of my favorites.....except for that woman playing the arrogant, bullheaded, whiney fbi agent. The movie was great but would have been better without that character. 

So back to the point, I can also recommend the Equalizer with Denzel. 

And, if you really need something to do, I can always recommend the endless supply of good old fashioned westerns. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Darrell said:

^^^

Just about anything with Denzel is worth the time spent watching. 

I’m watching “The Siege” while waiting on the Bills game. 

Edited by Links2k
  • Like 1
21 hours ago, Links2k said:

Taylor Sheridan puts out a lot of good work! I’m looking forward to season 2.  

I don't think there will be a season 2. I read somewhere the next will be a different lawman from history next season. When I read it the title again it made sense. Lawmen: 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Pain103 said:

I don't think there will be a season 2. I read somewhere the next will be a different lawman from history next season. When I read it the title again it made sense. Lawmen: 

I’ll still be watching. You don’t think they show Reeves pursuing the Texas Ranger?

On 1/15/2024 at 6:32 PM, Links2k said:

I’ll still be watching. You don’t think they show Reeves pursuing the Texas Ranger?

I hope they do. If they change to another historical lawman, I could see Wyatt Earp in the future. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2024 at 6:32 AM, Darrell said:

I don't think I'd ever done so before, but I went to see Top Gun Maverick in the theater twice. I love that kind of movie, so well, in fact, that I bought the DVD and have seen it at least twice more at home. I read that they're working on another Top Gun move, if Cruise ever finishes with his other projects.

Late to the party on this one.

Ya know... I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. It was FAR better than anything produced lately, but it just felt like one big trope. The original was campy but those characters felt larger than life. The pilots in his movie just seemed blah, the new love interest was blah, the final battle was literally (first time trying the spoiler tag)

Spoiler

The Death Star run

On 1/15/2024 at 8:31 AM, res308 said:

That reminds me of Sicario. One of my favorites.....except for that woman playing the arrogant, bullheaded, whiney fbi agent. The movie was great but would have been better without that character. 

So back to the point, I can also recommend the Equalizer with Denzel. 

And, if you really need something to do, I can always recommend the endless supply of good old fashioned westerns. 

Man that first Sicario was epic. For me, it was the Johan Johanson soundtrack (sadly, he died). He said he wanted to create a soundtrack that wasn't music, just purely suspense. Frickin NAILED it.

The night raid scene still gets my hyped (that and the bridge)

Also, it's fitting that in thermal, Emily Blunt looks like she's from They Live. OBEY! CONSUME!

image.png

Edited by NoBanStan
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

Man that first Sicario was epic. For me, it was the Johan Johanson soundtrack (sadly, he died). He said he wanted to create a soundtrack that wasn't music, just purely suspense. Frickin NAILED it.

The night raid scene still gets my hyped (that and the bridge)

Also, it's fitting that in thermal, Emily Blunt looks like she's from They Live. OBEY! CONSUME!

image.png

Hit the nail on the head with the soundtrack. Phenomenal. 

Edit: Just rewatched this scene. The background music buildup was spot on. 

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

The interrogation scene don't look at me no habla. Gets me every time. Sicario and John Wick are those movies I've probably seen it 20 plus times but if I'm flipping through the channels, it is likely I watch it again. 

1 minute ago, Pain103 said:

The interrogation scene don't look at me no habla. Gets me every time. Sicario and John Wick are those movies I've probably seen it 20 plus times but if I'm flipping through the channels, it is likely I watch it again. 

it's the part where benecio basically puts his balls in dudes face isn't it? 😄 😄 😄 😄

Speaking of soundtracks - Last Man Standing with Bruce Willis. I tend to like old mob-ish movies, even if they are hollywooded up. Like me some old private eye movies too. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2024 at 8:47 AM, res308 said:

Speaking of soundtracks - Last Man Standing with Bruce Willis. I tend to like old mob-ish movies, even if they are hollywooded up. Like me some old private eye movies too. 

The double 1911 rig was great!!!

1 hour ago, Jamie Jackson said:

I haven't seen Loudermilk but definitely enjoyed Old Henry. Well made film and I believe filmed here in TN.

The basic story: The main guy is an alcoholic who runs a support group. He's generally spiteful about everything. Each episode starts with him calling out someone publicly for what he perceives as sub-optimal behavior (like the clip above). The support group and the people around him all have extreme personalities and are just goofy. Overall it's pretty darn funny.

• Like 1

I recently got Amazon Prime Video. 

Reacher: Former Army investigator gets involved in mysteries. Great show! Highly recommend! 👍

The Boys: What if super heroes were a bunch of self serving, demented azzholes? Entertaining, but warning: very violent and bloody. 😵