I need a Middle TN Jeep shop

Hey, TGOers. I need recommendations for a Jeep shop. I have a totally stock 2019 JLU Wrangler. Yesterday I was on I-40 about 75mph and hit a small bump (nothing crazy). The front end started shaking pretty good. I slowed down and when I got to about 65mph it quit. Odd, I thought. then I hit another bump (just a bridge joint) and this time it was worse and didn't stop until I had slowed down to somewhere below 25mph. I'm not sure I'd call it the "death wobble". It wasn't so violent I thought it would flip, but it's probably somewhat related.

Did the usual research on the Jeep forums and I know it could be something as simple as an improperly torqued nut on a suspension part all the way up to worn ball joints. Ball joints seems unlikely since it only has about 25K miles and it has never been offroaded that I know of. I got it with I think around 12K miles on it and the first owner was an older person. Now it's Mrs. 'lizard's mall-crawler.

I don't have the tools to check everything or the knowledge of suspension parts to feel confident I'm checking things properly. It's out of warranty. Are there any shops in the Middle TN area that specialize in Jeeps you'd recommend to diagnose and fix the problem?

I had a similar experience with my TJ. When I would hit a bump at certain speeds, it would start shaking until I slowed down significantly. Then I could return to speed with no problem. Turns out it just needed an alignment and the wheels balanced. Tire Discounters in Bellevue took care of me. 

I've heard good things about Tennessee Offroad (http://4xaddict.com/) but they are in Lebanon. They also cater to the more 'hardcore' Jeepers.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

The jeep death wobble.

There is a damper shock on the steering that may have gotten weak. That is usually the first place to check. If it has 70k or more it could be other joints, etc. Out of balance wheel, alignment or bump like you experienced can trigger it. Usually starts as a slight shimmy that you don't notice that much and progressively gets worse. 

I tow my Wrangler behind my motorhome. Motorhome is diesel and I don't even feel the Jeep behind me so I have a camera on it at all times to keep an eye out for the wobble but I've always caught it before it became a big issue on all the Jeeps I've had over the years.  I've seen the wobble cause big wrecks behind motorhomes. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators
4 minutes ago, bubbadavis said:

The steering damper rarely causes death wobble. It can help mask the problem but replacing the damper is almost always at best a band-aid (at least in my experience).

A complete check of all steering components is prudent. Should have added that to my post. 

• Like 1

In all seriousness just check the lugs. If you at least have a jack lift that b up and grab the wheel with both hands and move it, push it, pull it. If it’s bad it’ll probably fail this simple test.

If you go to wranglerforum.com you'll find a lot of threads about death wobble. I've heard some say you can stop it with a beefier steering damper and some  say it's worn links, joints, and bushings, like your track arm bushings and your control arm bushings. Regardless of which components are worn, the longer you wait to get it fixed, the more parts the death wobble starts destroying. It's a pretty violent shake and eventually you could have numerous parts to replace and they won't be able to tell what parts were wearing first. 

Here's the best video I've ever seen about death wobble:

Last time I had something done to mine I went to True Blue Truck (used to be Essentially Offroad) halfway between M'boro and Smyrna. They did good work and were nice folks. 

https://truebluetruck.com/

Edited by BigK
added video link
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, bubbadavis said:

The steering damper rarely causes death wobble. It can help mask the problem but replacing the damper is almost always at best a band-aid (at least in my experience).

This is true. As long as everything else is good I don't think you would even need one on it.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, -boatman- said:

The number one cause is the track bar BUT it could be anything including the tires.

It can be a combination of things, too.  I've seen Jeep owners throw their credit card at the problem and, lacking a methodical approach, end up with death wobble and a sore wallet.

This is the kind of thing that it's worth paying a reputable shop to diagnose.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, TGO David said:

It can be a combination of things, too.  I've seen Jeep owners throw their credit card at the problem and, lacking a methodical approach, end up with death wobble and a sore wallet.

This is the kind of thing that it's worth paying a reputable shop to diagnose.

Yeah @monkeylizard this could be a cascading problem. One nut gets lose and starts a reaction where your whole suspension system starts rocking loose. It could be one of MANY things. I wouldn't stab at this.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, FrankD said:

Give Mill Creek Overland a call in Nolensville, Albert and team over there will get you straightened out.  

Completely agree with this too!!!  I am embarrassed that I didn't think about Albert's shop.  He is a great dude and a gun guy to boot!  🙂 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Completely agree with this too!!!  I am embarrassed that I didn't think about Albert's shop.  He is a great dude and a gun guy to boot!  🙂 

If you haven't checked out their rally rats content on youtube you're missing out!

They come from the factory that way. 🙂  Mine has one or more very small seepages on the driver's side. Again . . . 27K miles . . . I knew going in we were buying Chrysler quality. I tried to talk Mrs. 'lizard out of it, but that didn't work so I just resolved myself to have a sinking-fund for repairs on it. I swear this thing is like a boat with wheels.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
14 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

They come from the factory that way. 🙂  Mine has one or more very small seepages on the driver's side. Again . . . 27K miles . . . I knew going in we were buying Chrysler quality. I tried to talk Mrs. 'lizard out of it, but that didn't work so I just resolved myself to have a sinking-fund for repairs on it. I swear this thing is like a boat with wheels.

it's part of the Jeep experience!

I worked on vehicles for 35+ years and I have seen about all the issues a vehicle can have and 90% of the time wheel shake comes from Alignment issues. I would look at getting an alignment 1st. They can put the machine heads on all four wheels and calibrate each wheel and see if pot holes have knocked it out of alignment and nothing is bent they can adjust it and put it back in align and your shake should be gone till the next big pot hole comes along......JMHO  

• Like 1