So I managed to break my Glock...

Guest Todd@CIS

Guest Todd@CIS

Latest range session with my G19 was mid March.

Ran 50 of Brown Bear through it with zero problems (as usual). Then I topped off a partially loaded mag with two old Glasers I had laying around. Fired both and saw muzzle flash both times. After the 2nd round of Glaser the slide locked open with rounds still in the mag...slide lock lever was not engaged.

Smacked the back of the slide, next round fed and fired and then the same thing happened. Did this several times, with the same result.

Took it home, detail stripped the gun, and FINALLY found the barrel slightly bulged about 2" from the muzzle...enough to lock up the slide at the muzzle. No other damage occured.

Sent it to Glock on 03/18/09. Glock called yesterday and said I had two options. 1. They would give me a LIGHTLY used, serviceable barrel for free. 2. I could buy a new barrel for $125. I took option #1. Heck, if I'm not happy with it, then I'll buy a barrel. Pretty satisfied with Glock considering they could have easily blamed the ammo and not offered me anything.

Regarding the barrel bulge, I've never seen one without an obstruction to cause it. Glock tech guy said that maybe enough gas pressure escaped around an out-of-spec Glaser round to cause a bulge? He really wasn't sure and to be honest, I don't know either. I do know that Glasers have a rep for being notoriously overpressured (pre-Corbon buy-out, not sure about the new stuff).

Anyway, I managed to break my Glock.

Edited by Todd@CIS
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure the slightly used barrel will be the in good condition. I wouldn't think they would offer any less. So you did get lucky. I bought an after market Storm Lake 23 barrel for ~$98. That may be an option if the factory barrel doesn't work out.

Guest Todd@CIS
Did you tell them you were shooting steel-cased ammo? Just wondering if that new barrel would be free or how Glock stands up to the customer service test.

Steel cased ammo had nothing to do with the above situation.

All problems started after the 2nd round of Glaser.

I'm happy with Glock's customer service in this situation.

i'm curious as to how many rounds you had through it?

i had a glock break a firing pin... just shy of 10,000 rounds (seeing as though the things basically contain multiple explosions time after time, things can wear out now and then i guess).

as for the steel cased ammo you were shooting causing the problem, and to those who say don't shoot this, don't shoot that, i say "who cares?"... good guns will, and should, shoot whatever you feed them, my EDC ate a whole case of wolf without a cleaning, and never had a single hiccup ever before or after, until i broke the firing pin 4500rds later (@ 7000+rds, guess i'm not very lucky;)).

i think glock should have given you a brand new barrel gratis though... after all, they are supposed to be perfection... and they're not exactly hurting for funds!

Edited by CK1
Guest smithandwesson

Anyway, I managed to break my Glock.

Dont worry, its not really broke. Glocks are the most reliable gun in the world. Its normal for them to go, KABOOM!!!:)

When I called Glock they were super nice. They said If I sent a gun in they have to completely inspect and replace all warn parts for Liability reasons. I'm sure the barrel you receive will be like new. They wouldn't risk sending you a borderline barrel and then getting sued over a $125 part.

Guest Todd@CIS

Anyone have a factory G19 barrel you want to sell? :screwy:

Looks like I spoke to soon.

I still have not received a barrel from Glock. I called today (talked to the same guy) and he said that he didn't have any used G19 barrels...WTF?

When I talked to him the first time, he said that he had some and that I should receive it within 10 days.

He said that he would double check on Monday, but that my best bet would be to go ahead and just buy a new barrel. :D

Who knows, maybe Monday I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest Revelator

This happened to my old man's Glock 19 last year. He was shooting Winchester White Box and the barrel expanded, maybe cracked I can't remember. He hadn't had the weapon for very long and had put maybe a few thousand rounds through it. I'm not sure he even called Glock. I think he bought a new barrel through his local range. It took a couple months to get it. Which is kind of funny because he lives right down the road from their plant in Smyrna, GA.

• 4 weeks later...
I can't find it on the Glock website... what is the warranty for a Glock?

Pretty much lifetime.

Local buddy has a G34 with a serial number that dates around 98, and he cracked the slide at the front edge of the ejection port somewhere between 100,000 and 120,000 rounds. Sent the gun in, and it came back with a new slide.

Three weeks after he got it back, the left rear lug ripped out of the frame. Sent it in again, and had the same result. They replaced every slide internal the first time, and all the frame internals the second. Basically the only thing left is the barrel.

When the slide broke, it was only discovered because the gun began shooting a foot to the left at about 10 yards. The missing frame lug was found when it was broken down to clean - the pistol ran perfectly on three.

Oh, and pretty much every round that gun ever ate was a reload, and they repaired it no-questions-asked. :(

Guest Todd@CIS

Well, I left the guy (Fred) a couple of voicemails...none of which have been returned.

It just so happens that I had my Glock Armorer re-cert class last week and the guy teaching the class is the Director of Training for Glock USA.

I told him the situation and he immediately apologized and said he would fix it.

I received a new G19 barrel today! :)

Thanks Glock for eventually making this right.