What would be a good used gun???

Guest xsmwsx

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could just skip all the steps in between and go straight to a SIG. It would take a bit more saving, as used SIGs cost the same as a new Ruger, Glock or Walther If you try guns at a range, make sure you include a SIG.

Guest Plunky
You could just skip all the steps in between and go straight to a SIG. It would take a bit more saving, as used SIGs cost the same as a new Ruger, Glock or Walther If you try guns at a range, make sure you include a SIG.

Aww heck, just go straight for the good stuff. Then get a suppressor. :D

Clicky for hi res:

th_52134_HK_45_Tactical_122_238lo.JPG

j/k

I own Sigs too

Guest bubruins

^ Really? I'm yet to seen anyone mention a used H&K USP. A friend of mine picked up an excellent USP compact for around $600. Find one to shoot. You'll be hooked. It won't wear out easily. Most of them make it into the 40,000+ round count before they have a firing pin failure (and lets be real, who here has put 40,000 rounds through the same handgun?). Also, I don't see any sense in buying something that you're intending to replace. When I first buy a handgun I'm going to shell out whatever it takes to get exactly what I want. That way there's no buying and selling in the future to get what I wanted from the start. I don't think that a tool that you buy to protect your livelihood is a good place to skimp on $$$.

Everyone here will tell you different things but I'm hooked on a USPc. I know it'll be exactly what I want and I won't be compromising anything that I want when I buy one.

One last note. Buy something in .40 S&W. It's a manageable round and it's cheap compared to .45 ACP. It'll also stop a threat dead in it's tracks (look at the ballistics of a 165 grain JHP in .40 S&W compared to others. It's really hard to beat).

Edited by bubruins
added manufacturer

Don't buy anything until you have handled it.

Go to gunstores (note the plural).

Handle all the firearms you can.

There will be one or two styles that within 2 seconds you will know is the ONE.

Then beg ~ borrow ~ or rent one and confirm that THE ONE is a natural point to your hand.

Save up and buy THE ONE.

Every single time I have bought a firearm without doing the above, I have regretted the purchase and either sold or traded it.

Don't fall into the "chevy vs. ford vs. dodge vs. ... whatever" wars.

Using a firearm is an extremely tactile experience.

Trying to explain it is like trying to explain sex to a 15 year old virgin.

You just got to do it, and the more you do it, the better you will know what you need (not want!).

Edited by Currently
Guest dizzielizzie

When I took my safety class I was next to an older gent (at the range) and he had a .45 that looked like he got it in a cereal box (no kidding.) He said he picked it up for $200. I should of asked him what it was but he made me nervous as hell (I could tell he never handled it before.) I was too busy concentrating on my own s**t to ask. It had a big A in the name though... are there any manufacturers out there making cheapos that are so cheesy no one really considers buying them?

For a first gun get a 9mm. It has all the "stopping power" you need with minimal recoil and cost. Meaning you can shoot it a lot more than .380, .40, or .45 for a lot longer. During that time you can get comfortable with shooting and devlope your skills. You may also find that you like it enough to stay in the 9mm platform as I have.

In 9's the Ruger SR9, M&P9, XD, or even Glock 19 (not you typical Glock) are great choices and the can all be had new under $500 or used for even less. You can fund steel framed 9's like S&W 3rd gen for good bargains but I know nothing about them.

As other have said stay away from .380. For the life of me I can't figure out why it has come back from the brink of death to find popularity. It's like all these yahoos overpaying for a "green" car that cost more and gives you an considerably less performance. It's live putting a 4 cylinder Geo Metro engine in a Camero.

Edited by Smith
Well, maybe for $499.99. Plus tax and TICS.

- OS

Buds has them at $439 shipped, which would be under $500 with TICS and transfer.... Update - Scratch that. It just went back up to $494 + TICS and FFL. :screwy:

Edited by Smith
Updated to clarify for Oh Shoot. :)
Guest dizzielizzie
Hi Point?

I still wonder what my classmate was shooting (that he was so proud of he paid just $200 for - new! - to use in the safety class.) I failed to mention it was a semi-auto and I've never heard of a .45 that cheap. I guess everyone on TGO has too good of taste to help me on this one - kudos!

I still wonder what my classmate was shooting (that he was so proud of he paid just $200 for - new! - to use in the safety class.) I failed to mention it was a semi-auto and I've never heard of a .45 that cheap. I guess everyone on TGO has too good of taste to help me on this one - kudos!

If it's not a Hi-Point, just don't know.

The "big A" throws me.

Hmmm...Hi-Points have a triangle in name/logo, wonder if that's what you saw as an "A"?

hipointc9-detail.jpg

hipointc9.jpg

- OS

Guest Muttling

Did anyone notice that the guy is having to physically pull the clip from the Markov in the video linked on page 2? Is it normal for the Markovs not to drop out?

Did anyone notice that the guy is having to physically pull the clip from the Markov in the video linked on page 2? Is it normal for the Markovs not to drop out?

Euro(euorpean) mag release, also on the sig 210, sig 230/232, the MIGHTY j22 and the famed hk psp. Its a mag release on the heel (or butt) of the gun.I saw someone put a key ring in the loop type mag release on his makarov, it made the mags drop free when pulled.Note ring shaped mag release behind the magazine.

pm-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Save yourself a lot of time and money. Find a gunshop/range that will let you try different guns. For example, I believe Coal Creek Armory in Knoxville (I'm not associated with them) charges $15 to rent a lane at the range for as long as you want to use it and $15 to try all of their guns in a single caliber. It's expensive to buy a gun and then decide you don't like it. I speak from personal experience.

Guest mikedwood
Hi Point?

For about $400 you could dual weild Hi-point 45's

For the same $400 you could dual weild Hi-point 9mm and get a set of weights to work out with so you can hold two Hi-points (man they are heavy like a brick only heavier)

YouTube - Dual Wield Pistols with Gratuitous Ending.

Just throwin that out there.

Seriously, I'd say save up to about $500 or $600 and get a Glock (Yeah you said you don't like them, here drink this :D , or a Sig, MP something that will last and you can empty a full mag out of without it stovepiping or jambing)

One thing that is important to me. For the most part extra mags are the same for most pistols are between $30 and $40. It doesn't matter if it's a Hi-point or Jennings for under $150 new or a Glock around $500, Sig ?? $700 or $800. The stupid extra mags gonna cost $30 to $40.

A good (not great, lets say wearable) holster is $60 to $150. Doesn't matter the cost of the gun.

Ammo range ammo is about $10 to 12 per 50 for 9mm and $18 to 24 for 45 and 380. If you can find any.

Edited by mikedwood
Guest Hi Point

Have you considered a Hi Point C9. It is fairly compact and is super reliable, not to mention the better than great warranty. I would venture to say it would fall within your price range as well.

...It doesn't matter if it's a Hi-point or Jennings for under $150 new or a Glock around $500, Sig ?? $700 or $800. The stupid extra mags gonna cost $30 to $40...

Bro, 9mm pistol and carbine Hi-Point mags are $15-$18 delivered. Really.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot