SA XD9 SC - Thoughts on Finish and Price?

garethsk

Afternoon all,

So after hitting Coal Creek a few times and trying a bunch of their rental guns, and firing a friends P99 and XD9 SC, I've decided that the XD9 SC is the gun for me. I really like the grip safety option, the gun shoots well, handles well, good for EDC, etc, so it's time to go shopping...

I had originally thought that the best options would be to have the bi-tone with night sights, so this is what I shopped around for locally (Knoxville), but after reading over at XDTalk, I'm wondering about my choices.

Prices seem to be fairly even:

Gander Mnt (Black on Black) = $549

Coal Creek (Bi Tone) = $549

Austins (Bi Tone) = $569

Night Sights are $100 (installation is $20 some places, free at others)

Obviously I could buy it online or elsewhere, have it transfered for a fee.

My main questions are:

What are your thoughts on the finish? Is the bi-tone just for looks or does the finish have advantages/disadvantages?

What are your thoughts on the night sights vs laser? Crimson Trace grip laser is an option, Lasermax laster, etc.

What are your thoughts on the price? Is it worth having it shipped in from elsewhere, or just suck it up and pay a few bucks more for local?

Any other thoughts about this choice?

Thanks

Gareth

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

My main questions are:

What are your thoughts on the finish? Is the bi-tone just for looks or does the finish have advantages/disadvantages?

What are your thoughts on the night sights vs laser? Crimson Trace grip laser is an option, Lasermax laster, etc.

What are your thoughts on the price? Is it worth having it shipped in from elsewhere, or just suck it up and pay a few bucks more for local?

Any other thoughts about this choice?

Thanks

Gareth

Good choice, can't go wrong with it. As far as the color choice, it's strictly up to you. Some like the two-tone look, some don't. Personally I like it, but it's usually more expensive than the all black version (at least in my experience). As for which finish is better, I don't think the Black will hold up any better (or vice versa).

Comparing night sights to lasers... unless you're planning on getting Crimson Trace grips, I'd get night sights and a detachable laser. If you get the Crimson Trace grip, then I wouldn't fool with night sights.

As far as buying online vs at a store, unless your saving over $150, I'd just buy from a store. I like to give them the business, unless they are way over-priced. If you buy it online, you're paying shipping + FFL transfer which could be up to $50. But it's up to you. Some folks don't care where they buy it, as long as it's cheaper.

Good luck!

XDs are great pistols, in all of the frame-sizes... I have personally owned six of them, 2 the SC model, and they all performed flawlessly (even the ones I messed with the internals on, to improve the trigger). The only weak points on the gun are the long factory reset (which isn't a drawback to most, and can be adjusted easily if it is), and the striker retaining pin often failing after 6-10k rounds (which is replaceable within about 5 minutes, and the part is about a dollar). I never had any finish problems with any of mine. Springfield Armory customer service is impeccable, as well.

If the XD-9SC fits your hand and shoots well for you, it sounds like a good bet.

The bi-tone is just a looks thing, the slide material is the same. The prices you quoted are higher than I ever paid, but I guess everything has gone up a bit, not just ammo. I'd imagine you could get one used significantly cheaper... perhaps with aftermarket sights already installed.

I'd imagine you could get one used significantly cheaper... perhaps with aftermarket sights already installed.

Yeah, I looked on gunbroker.com and at the For Sale section here, but for some reason buying a used gun as my first ever gun purchase just gives me the willies. I need to get past that.

Yeah, I looked on gunbroker.com and at the For Sale section here, but for some reason buying a used gun as my first ever gun purchase just gives me the willies. I need to get past that.

Understood! For what little it is worth, I've got two XD's right now. Round counts in both of them are into the thousands, and they've never even hiccoughed, let alone fail. In this circumstance, I have the personal luxury of knowing this seller,and after having had five or six transactions with him personally, and knowing the credibility that he has on this board...I would buy from him sight-unseen and give him a blank check. Rest assured that this XD9 is EXACTLY what he says it is. Like I said, FWIW!!

Good luck! Regardless, you'll adore the XD's!!

True... From another angle though, I'd be willing to bet that the majority of folks here who have been carrying for more than a few years have changed carry weapons a number of times. So, getting one that is already broken in for ya, and is used enough to not bother you to put some holster wear on is truly a cost saving measure, since you'll likely upgrade before too long and lose whatever value a gun would have had being new.

Above all, whether the gun is new or used, put anything you trust your life to through it's paces at least a few times, just to be sure... new doesn't mean flawless, and used doesn't mean no-warranty.

I wouldn't have the willies about buying a used firearm. Most people buy them, shot a box through them and they end up in a drawer. Just make sure that you are comfortable with it when you purchase it. If I had the money Rightwinger's XD would be mine!

True... From another angle though, I'd be willing to bet that the majority of folks here who have been carrying for more than a few years have changed carry weapons a number of times. So, getting one that is already broken in for ya, and is used enough to not bother you to put some holster wear on is truly a cost saving measure, since you'll likely upgrade before too long and lose whatever value a gun would have had being new.

Above all, whether the gun is new or used, put anything you trust your life to through it's paces at least a few times, just to be sure... new doesn't mean flawless, and used doesn't mean no-warranty.

+1. If I'm not mistaken the black finish is better becasue it has the Melonite treatment to the slide underneath. Same bombproof finish as the Glock, M&P, and others. The 2-tone doesn't have the Melonite under the plating IIRC. They are both fine and if you ever have a problem they have a lifetime warranty.

I've had 3 XD9's and they were all fantastic guns. Go with the used one listed in the classifieds. It will save you a lot of depreciation money if and when you want to try something else.

Garethsk, I'm with Rightwinger for the next 24 hours (hunting) so if you're interested at all, PM me and I'll get you in touch with him via phone. I have remote access via Blackberry!

...Some like the two-tone look, some don't. Personally I like it, but it's usually more expensive than the all black version (at least in my experience). ...

The stainless slide models are usually 35-50 bucks more, for whatever reason.

In the Kahr lineup, you pay extra for the all black models, go figure.

I paid 499.99 for each of my XD 9's (subbie and service), about a year ago. All black. Coal Creek Armory.

- OS

I'll echo the previous guys comments on the xd pistols. I have 3 now, looking to pick up a 4" xd45 next. They are accurate, easy to carry and shoot, and can be found used at good prices. All mine were bought used and I've been very satisfied with them.

BTW, I don't know Rightwinger, except by reputation here, but his offer is a good one. I've thought about picking it up myself.

Don't be afraid to pick up this xd at this price, you won't regret it.

Check this out! Its a great deal. I have personally fired this weapon, and I will personally vouch for the seller. He's TOPS. Great guy, and I'm sure he'll make every attempt to accomodate the travel distance.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/firearms-classifieds/27641-wts-xd9-subcompact-w-2-mags-holster.html

+1. I've personally shot that gun. Very nice shooter, and Rightwinger is a top notch guy. I was just up at his place last night when we built my AR, like the others have said you should have no worries dealing with him.

Yeah, don't be put off by buying pre-owned for your first gun. The primary criteria is function and reliability. My first "big boy" gun was pre-owned (a LEO trade-in gun) and I still have it. Sentimental value, but it also shoots good.

As for the XD SC, I've got one and I love it. You will too. :)

The finish on these is excellent. Just make sure that you get one of the more recent manufactures. The first generation when Springfield picked up the design was not good at all. It would start to rust with high humidity if you used it and didn't clean it immediately. My friend didn't clean his after the range and then pulled it out a few days later and it was covered in a fine layer of rust. They have corrected the problem and this is supposed to be as good finish as a glock's. Mine has never given me any problems.