M1A or 700 Police? Help me decide.

Jasongar8

I'm looking for new rifle and I cant decide between a Remington 700 Police (.308) or a Springfield loaded M1A. Either one will be scoped (prob. a Leupold Mark 4) and will be used to punch holes in paper. I might deer hunt with it if I get a wild hair. 400 yards is most likely the longest distance I will shoot with it. The M1A is just badass but I think the 700 will be more accurate. So help me decide. Do I need

This.

1MA9822.gif

Or this?

700p2.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need both. :chill:

For sheer baddassery in a military rifle get a M1 Garand; it’s the real deal not a civilian copy.

For long range accuracy you need the 700. But I wouldn’t pay extra to have the word “Police†in the name. I believe for long range accuracy the 700 VLS will perform as well if not better than the “Policeâ€, costs less and has a better finish. But of course that’s debatable.

You need both. :chill:

For sheer baddassery in a military rifle get a M1 Garand; it’s the real deal not a civilian copy.

For long range accuracy you need the 700. But I wouldn’t pay extra to have the word “Police†in the name. I believe for long range accuracy the 700 VLS will perform as well if not better than the “Policeâ€, costs less and has a better finish. But of course that’s debatable.

Already got 2 Garands, one a WWII vintage SA and one HRA. You are probably right about the 700 VLS but I like to be A.T.A.S. :P

i've always loved the looks of the m1a, but if i ever bought it it would be a luxury item...isn't it more expensive by about 1k??? the base models are around 1k if i'm not mistaken, and their long range shooters are in the 3 to 5k range (buyers guide prices). the m21 is super BA but weighs a ton!

Edited by jeremy155rr
cant type on phone
Guest Traumaslave

My vote is for the bolt action. Really depends on the amount of $$$ you want to drop. But,,,,, don't be a 700 snob. There are as good if not better for less in other brands. Check out the Savage line.:chill:

Guest HexHead
i hate the m1 , boot camp memories, 9 and 1/2 pounds of pain, but bias aside, the m1a1socom is bad ass

The military stopped using the M14 about a decade before you were even born. What service were you in that you used an M1 or M14 in boot camp?

Guest mustangdave
The military stopped using the M14 about a decade before you were even born. What service were you in that you used an M1 or M14 in boot camp?

Don't know about the OP....but I was in Navy boot in 1977...and we thanked our CC that they were not drilling with rifles anymore...then I went to a 4 hour "short tour"...punishment PT indoors with an M1...not fun:tough:...and up until my last sea tour 91-94...the ships armory still stocked M14's

M1A. This is a crazy question anyway. Just reword your question to read "which one should I buy first?" No matter which one you buy you won't be happy until you have the other. They are both great guns but buy the M1A first!