Cherokee Steak House & Marina

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll throw my two cents in, even though I'm late.

If you want to go out in the Hendersonville area, I highly recommend Cheddar's. It's not quite fine dining, I'd say it's a step up from Chili's or Logan's. However, it's significantly cheaper and the food is just better. Not really sure how to describe it. The portions are far larger than most of their competitors, also. The first time I ate there the service was just okay, not bad but nothing to write home about. The second time the service was incredibly good. I really can't recommend them highly enough. Again, it's not fine dining, but it's definitely worth a visit.

As for September's, that's why I'm so late writing this. Ate there tonight. Not a bad atmosphere, food was good, portion sizes about right. Service was good. I wouldn't consider them fine dining either, but it's a much quieter atmosphere than Cheddars, Chili's, etc...no TVs or the like. However, in my opinion the atmosphere doesn't quite live up to the cost.

Between the two, even though September's is a bit more 'high end' than Cheddars, I'd rather go to Cheddars. The food is comparable in quality, if not better on a few things, and the combination of portion sizes and cost put them on top. Roughly estimating, September's is about 40-50% more than Cheddars, and simply not worth the difference unless it has to be 'fine dining' and it has to be Hendersonville.

• Admin Team

Morton's:

8oz. filet

creamed spinach

hashbrowns

go with the bacon wrapped scallop appetizer - with the orange chutney sauce they serve it with, you'll want to lick the plate.

I personally prefer the key lime pie, but for the chocolate fans, the molten chocolate cake will ensure that they have to wheel you out of there at the end of the night.

I don't recall an offensive odor or an unusually long wait, but our visit was nothing special. It wasn't terrible, but the hype we had heard about the place was not lived up to.

It may not be the romantic atmosphere you're looking for, but a better steak can be had at Outback or Demos'.

YMMV

My exact thoughts. We live 15 minutes from there and pass it by all the time. . .intentionally.

do you guys have a Longhorn around? We go in Huntsville and Murfreesboro. Steaks are good to huge size and prices are good. Fairly quiet and food is better than Logans Chilis Outback and any other I can think of. Hope y'all have a good dinner and night out!!

Thanks for the input, everyone. I had alway been under the impression that Cherokee was similar to The Hermitage Steak House -- one of my favorites. Based on all I've heard today, that is not the case. I guess I should have done a little more research, rather than waiting until the last minute to get some reviews.

Because of other plans for the evening, eating in Nashville wasn't really an option. We decided to slum it and settle for Logans. Not my favorite (no Prime Rib during the week), but she happens to love it.

do you guys have a Longhorn around? We go in Huntsville and Murfreesboro. Steaks are good to huge size and prices are good. Fairly quiet and food is better than Logans Chilis Outback and any other I can think of. Hope y'all have a good dinner and night out!!

Like the Mrs. said, try Longhorn. If you like little steaks like I do try their 20oz Outlaw...OMG:D

Because of other plans for the evening, eating in Nashville wasn't really an option. We decided to slum it and settle for Logans. Not my favorite (no Prime Rib during the week), but she happens to love it.

I believe O'Charlies now has prime rib all week long and during the day too. I believe.

Anyone ever been there? What are your thoughts on the place?

Today is my girlfriends birthday, and was trying to find a steakhouse other than the everyday chain-types. Something near the Hendersonville/Rivergate/Gallatin areas would be nice, but I'm open.

I've read several reviews about Cherokee Steak House & Marina, but they've been fairly mixed. Many complaints about the wait, quality of food, and even something about being filthy and smelling of mildew.

I haven't been there lately, but of all the times I went, it was good. there was a little wait, but plenty of food, and it was prepared well. It's different though... and that's what you said you wanted...right?

Guest mustangdave

A little late chiming in...went to the Cherokee with a group...decent place...but nothing to write home about...there are WAAAAAY better Steak and Tater joints. If this was the 50's or 60's...this place mighta been pretty "swanky" out by the lake and all. Its a place your grandparents would take you.

Well let me say this. If Cherokee Steak House is as bad as all of you say. Why are they still open? I for one like Cherokee very much. It is close to me. When me and the wife and our best friends go. We get the sirloin for 4 people. They plie it on with steak. A real nice place. gearyr

Guest Drewsett

I consider myself somewhat of a "foodie", there isn't a restaurant I won't try, or a recipe that I can't figure out. I've worked in the restaurant business for a long time, so I like to think I can pick pretty good restaurants.

As far as steaks are concerned, the best steaks in the city are at Morton's. They are however EXTREMELY expensive.

Ruth's Chris is almost as good as Morton's and about the same price.

Fleming's is the one upscale steakhouse in Mid-TN that I haven't tried, but people whose opinions I trust consider it to be very high on the list.

Stoney River is relatively cheap (compared to the above 3) and the steaks are *almost* as good. When people ask me where to get a steak in Nashville, I tell them the best steak for the money is at Stoney River. Morton's and Ruth's Chris will cost you almost double what Stoney River will, but they are definitely NOT twice as good.

Oh and Logan's is great for what it is...cheap, good eats.

I haven't been to Flemmings in the past year but I would put their steaks equal or above Ruth's Chris and the service was much better. Usually though for a great steak I buy aged and grill it myself over wood and lump charcoal. As for Cherokee I grew up going there. It's just down 109 from my folks. Good place, good people and not a chain. The steaks won't rank up as high as the high end joints but I would prefer to give the local shop my money over a chain.

Another good place to check out places is

www.roadfood.com

lot's of real reviews for about anything

We eat up there on a regular basis... Great food, and the staff has always been friendly to us... And added benefit they don't serve liquor or beer on site so it's one of the few places to get a good steak in Middle TN where you can carry right now.

Plus 1 on this. Used to travel in middle TN quite a bit. Cherokee Steak House was always a "favorite" place for over 20 years. The food is great, the service is great, the atmosphere is homey---just like a boat dock restraunt should be. I heartily recommend it (and i'm big and fat!! HEHEHE).

Go and have fun.

Kind regards and Happy New Year.

LEROY