My shootin' buddies are buying Kimbers!

Will Carry

Yeah, those Kimbers are nice and shinny and fancy all right, but I'm just a blue collar worker and I can't drop $1300 on a gun like that. These guys are good friends and all, but I do like out shootin'em. I would like to show those guys that money won't make you a better shot. I wanna go retro on'em. I want to go old school! What is a good revolver that I could buy that will out shoot those dang Kimbers? Maybe a good old Smith and Wesson model 27 or something. Any of you crafty old wheel gunners got any ideas?:D

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ruger GP100 with a 6 inch barrel,I had one that would put them right next to each other(holes that is),and the price of them are usually pretty reasonable.Also they are a very tough pistol ,takes a lot to destroy them.;)

Edited by krunchnik
spelling

THey have Kimber 1911 45's in the $695 range:p

I have seen several in the clarksville area:koolaid:

I have two, They make me look good at the range:D

Also have a Glock 27, & XD's

All great weapons

Edited by trigem
Guest BigShot

I'm with you Will... When somebody puts over a grand in a piece, it had best be perfect or have some gold on it. Being blue collar myself is the very reason I started building my own years ago.

What I wanna hear is the range reports on all those new $1300 Kimbers your boys have. For the past few years those Kim guns have had a black eye in the quality department and are just recently starting to get it right again. Please let us know if any of them have failures and need work done to them.

Oh yeah.... old model 19 Smith's are hard too beat unless you find a beater M&P heavy barrel. Those guys were VERY accurate. Fixed sights but dead on.

Edited by BigShot

I've owned Kimbers for one reason, I bought cheap to resell. I'm not that impressed, kinda like buying a Cadillac Escalade sure its expensive and ups your "social status" but the Tahoe is the same thing for a lot cheaper. Take a ruger or glock to the range and laugh at them when you beat them.

Guest joelstephen

I am a gun nut. Having acquired dozens of hand guns including custom shop kimbers, I stii rely on my old S&W 15 and 25 to give consistent accuracy. A lot of it I attribute to finding the load to compliment the pistol

Same old story, People can't afford Kimbers so they bash them:screwy:

I have alot of hand guns including, Glock 27, XD45, XDM40,2 Kimbers x45's,Ruger LCR,LCP,, Ruger SP101,Keltic 380, Colt 1911Combat Elite and on & on,

Have never had any real problems with any after a good break-in,

Only one that didn't need a break-in was the Glock

My Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, I replaced the factory mags with Wilson Combat mags only because at was recommended:tough:

All these weapons perform excellent, Love them all, Buy what you can afford,

Find a range that rents hand guns and try before you buy, That way you won't be disappointed after purchase :eek:

The Kimbers are my favorite shooters at the range, Just plain fun to shoot

I mix up my carry from time to time, But the Glock is carried more day to day

Same old story, People can't afford Kimbers so they bash them:screwy:

Uh... I've owned six, including a Clackamas one. I think they're nice, and my tongue in cheek remark was not a bash; but I believe the preeminent use of a handgun is for self defense. I just happen to believe there are better options for that.

I'll second the Ruger GP100. 4" or 6", up to you.

For an affordable 1911 I'd go with a Colt 1991 or a SA GI (I own both). Figure you put at least new sights on the SA GI, so the cost difference is not going too different in the long run. Love 'em both.

Edited by RGL01
Guest Brassfountain

I have a mod 19 and had a 686 and they are both good shooters but like someone else mentioned, within reason, it's more the person then the gun. Having said that I once shot a cheap .25 that pointed at the target wouldn't hit it at 25'. The bullets were nicking the wooden post 3' to left of it. I don't know if they still make it but the Ruger Security Six was a reasonably priced wheel gun that shot pretty well.

Guest BigShot
Same old story, People can't afford Kimbers so they bash them :cool:

No need to bash Kimber... they are doing it to themselves. Just ask my closest shootin' bud why he had 2 area gunsmiths work on his Kimber for FTEs and FTFs for the tune of a couple hundred dollars over several months "break-in". Never did get it right so he called the factory and they had him ship it up for another $50 bucks. That's $250 on top of what he paid for it brand new. I felt bad and really could not pick on him like I wanted too. He'd sunk a lot of time, travel and money into it. Very painful not to be able to finish one magazine without a failure.

Anyways, in Kimbers defense, they shipped his 45 back to his house with a brand new slide with all new components and polished the ramp. He has been smiling like a mule eatin briars ever since. No failures at all. The point is that pistol should have left the factory like it arrived at his house. :D

No need to bash Kimber... they are doing it to themselves. Just ask my closest shootin' bud why he had 2 area gunsmiths work on his Kimber for FTEs and FTFs for the tune of a couple hundred dollars over several months "break-in". Never did get it right so he called the factory and they had him ship it up for another $50 bucks. That's $250 on top of what he paid for it brand new. I felt bad and really could not pick on him like I wanted too. He'd sunk a lot of time, travel and money into it. Very painful not to be able to finish one magazine without a failure.

Anyways, in Kimbers defense, they shipped his 45 back to his house with a brand new slide with all new components and polished the ramp. He has been smiling like a mule eatin briars ever since. No failures at all. The point is that pistol should have left the factory like it arrived at his house. :cool:

The key to Kimber is complete the break-in period if you have FTF or FTE the send it back to Kimber, they will fix it

Originally Posted by Blake

DO you think the Kimbers are worth their money?

Yes I think so but thats just my opinion, some will agree others will disagree thats just the life we live here in this forum.

IN my opinion go buy a Springfield Loaded stainless 5" you can get a good deal on one for about $800. That way your on an even playing field I believe a 6" barrel revolver should be more accurate than a 5" 1911 so if you can shoot you'll beat em hands down. Plus the SA will run like a watch

I just sold off a few of my guns to offset the cost of a Kimber Pro CDP II. I am 250 rounds into the break in and it has been flawless and a joy to shoot. I also shoot a g22 and pf-9. It feels perfect for my hand and seems more balanced and has less recoil than the other 2.

I have been feeding it 230 fmj alternating the factory mag and a wilson combat 8 rounder.

DO you think the Kimbers are worth their money?

I do,

They start at about 695 and up at my gun shop in Clarksville

That's a full size 1911, The compacts go up in price, My Ultra Crimson carry II was 895 +tax it's thinner then my Glock 27 but all metal:koolaid:

The only bad thing is people are buying them as fast as they make them, :tinfoil:Here's a place to see prices

Kimber Firearms At Discount Prices

Guest komatsu200

I've had a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II for a couple of months and have fired at least 500 rounds of fmj and several rounds of hollow points using the factory mags. I haven't had the first problem out of it. Sure there a little expensive, but I feel that I got my moneys worth out of it.