SR9c or M&P9c

jc102888

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tbone

I have a M&P 9c for carry. I love it. It is amazingly accurate. The pinkyrest mag base and a hogue slip on grip make it really controllable in rapid fire situations. I have no experience with the Ruger. However, if you go with the M&P you won't be sorry. S&W has a promotional offer going through the end of May. If you get a new M&P, you can get a $50 dollar rebate or two free mags. Their website has the details and the download-able coupon.

Guest tbone

P.S. Keep in mind that the M&P has a trigger that starts off gritty. After the first 300 to 500 rounds, it breaks in and becomes much smoother. Bottom line, don't let the trigger on a new one scare you away.

Guest rystine

M&P for sure. The Ruger has a magazine disconnect safety and a thumb safety, neither of which are features that you would want on a defensive handgun IMHO. If you want a thumb safety you can find models of the M&P that have them, but it's not something that you HAVE to get like on the Ruger.

TONS more aftermarket support for the M&P as well. Holsters, night sights, magazines, custom parts, etc. are all widely available for the M&P. The Ruger, not so much.

Guest Sgt. Joe

I have no experience with the M&P but have only heard good things about them.

But I do have both the SR9 and SR9c, and LOVE them both, I feel they are good value for the money and are very easy for me to conceal. I have had zero function problems with either. FWIW

I'm looking for a new ccw, I'm leaning towards either a sr9c or an m&p9c. Anyone have any advice on either of these two?

Good Luck finding the SR9c! I've been looking for weeks (stainless version) !! I've seen a few SR9's though, Lebanon Gun shop has one of the larger models.

:screwy:

I carry my M&P9c in a supertuck. It's comfortable and pretty damn accurate with practice. My trigger started out a little rough and had a few minor feed issues (was using reloads to begin with). After 500 rounds and using more factory loads than reloads, it's been smooth and reliable. I just bought an SA 1911 mil spec and love it.... but the M&P9c is going to continue to be my conceal carry.

Good Luck finding the SR9c! I've been looking for weeks (stainless version) !! I've seen a few SR9's though, Lebanon Gun shop has one of the larger models.

:screwy:

Seen one down at bass pro a few days back.

I think I'm leaning torwards a M&P 40c because I have larger 40. Then do a conversion on it to 9. Then I'll have both options.

Not the compacts, but I've had 2 SR9's and 2 M&P 9's, lots of trigger time with both...

One of the SR9's was good except the trigger sucked (Ghost Inc. makes a connector for the SR9's now finally though, so at least you can probably fix that), the other was a nightmare, shot 6" left even with the front sight almost drifted off the pistol, went back and got a new barrel and slide, then the tang broke off the striker assembly while dry-firing... back to Ruger, spent more time with them than with me...

The M&P's were great, but I did break 3 strikers with my second one... their trigger pulls can be made great with an Apex sear or by following the DIY Burwell trigger job guide, but the reset at it's best will remain kind of vague and indistinct, because of waiting for replacement strikers it spent more time broken then working so it had to go...

Of the two, I'd definitely pick the M&P, just feels, shoots and is put together more like what I'd consider a "real" sidearm.

FWIW, I don't consider either as good as a Glock, I'd shoot a G26 or G19 before you make your purchase...

I vote the M&P since I have one. It's pretty weighty for its size, but the dang thing is incredibly strong. Long story short, I had a screw-up on my scale, and I was shooting way over-charged +P out of it for several rounds before I realized the problem. The weapon showed no ill-effects from it.

To jc102888

Thank you for the tip!!! As mentioned I have been looking for the Ruger SR9c for a few weeks without any luck. Your tip about Bass Pro having it was correct. I went out today and bought it, again thanks to you and this great Forum, I hope to meet many of you on the MC ride later this month.:rolleyes::)